• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy shoe appreciation thread

justonemore

Reaction score
There are so many reasons why some may chose to go with a shoe that only costs $300 vs $1200. Of course the obvious reason is cost. Heck this is one of the reasons some will chose shoes that only cost $100 vs $300. But when you get beyond the cost factor, some people are simply unaware of the various alternatives out there. Heck personally I would rather know what my choices are so that I can make a more informed decision. SHOWME EVERYTHING I am more than capable of making my own decision.
Ok...That works for you...and a few others out there that are educated on the topic.but let's face it...most people coming here for advice are not going to become instant informed hobbiests...Perhaps I'm guilty of underestimating people, but I think you're equally guilty of overestimating them.. And telll me the truth., Did you study all aspect of shoes before buying your first pair? Did you know all the lasts and how your foot would fit in relation to each? Bal vs blucher? short wing vs long wing? cap-toe? perf. cap-toe? Med-toe? half brogue? full brogue? monks? double monks? Full strap? Shell? #8? full grain? Saphir? Renovateur? Spectators? Saddles? Differences in formality?
Blake stiched? Goodyear Welted? etc. etc. etc...You seee what I mean? Sure..I could toss 100 random burgundy shoes at you and you'd make an informed decision...because it's your hobby...and if you have an unlimited budget for your hobby, then you'll choose on other factors....

but....

as a hobbiest, it's easy to blow off the money part of it....I was just musing over the fact that each pair of shoes I'll be taking with me on an upcoming cruise, cost more than the cruise itself...I'm more a Tokyo Ritz type of guy but cruises seem to be popular among the american middle class....A week vacation or a pair of shoes? The 3 pairs you showed would probably pay a year's rent for a cheap college apartment when little suzie graduates high school.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok...That works for you...and a few others out there that are educated on the topic.but let's face it...most people coming here for advice are not going to become instant informed hobbiests...Perhaps I'm guilty of underestimating people, but I think you're equally guilty of overestimating them.. And telll me the truth., Did you study all aspect of shoes before buying your first pair? Did you know all the lasts and how your foot would fit in relation to each? Bal vs blucher? short wing vs long wing? cap-toe? perf. cap-toe? Med-toe? half brogue? full brogue? monks? double monks? Full strap? Shell? #8? full grain? Saphir? Renovateur? Spectators? Saddles? Differences in formality?
Blake stiched? Goodyear Welted? etc. etc. etc...You seee what I mean? Sure..I could toss 100 random burgundy shoes at you and you'd make an informed decision...because it's your hobby...and if you have an unlimited budget for your hobby, then you'll choose on other factors....

but....

as a hobbiest, it's easy to blow off the money part of it....I was just musing over the fact that each pair of shoes I'll be taking with me on an upcoming cruise, cost more than the cruise itself...I'm more a Tokyo Ritz type of guy but cruises seem to be popular among the american middle class....A week vacation or a pair of shoes? The 3 pairs you showed would probably pay a year's rent for a cheap college apartment when little suzie graduates high school.

Relax, these are only options that doesn't mean these are for everybody.

Chill

justonemore

Reaction score
Quote:
Oooff..I thought I was perfecty relaxed and we were having a discusssion on the concept of having a starting point...and indeed even the"laughable" concept of a starter shoe...but you're right...it's all about the shoes and the options... Let's see if I can get these photos to work.

Last edited:

justonemore

Reaction score

Last edited:

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

02///M3

Reaction score
My (poorly photographed) contribution to this thread. Burgundy Carmina single monks on the rain last.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads