• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers' Gatsby Collection

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the San Francisco BB today and one of the SA's, Charles Flewellen, tried on the blazer. I thought it looked great. The perfect jacket for a party or garden reception.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My normal collar size was a bit big—but I know it will shrink. This is one collar size down. You can see the extra distance between the top two buttons (since it has a 6-button front) and also it's somewhat evident that the collar is unlined.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, checked out the collection at the store tonight and GET THIS:

The gatsby collection white OCBD had an unlined collar and collar band, 6-button front and no box pleat (it has "side pleats," after a fashion—instead of a straight pleat on each side, they've got 7 mini pleats, a la their sleeve cuff shirring).

I bought one with the make a wish discount. Figure if I only buy one white OCBD this would make a good candidate.

I was in the Atlanta store today, getting some BBBF items fitted, when I saw the Gatsby display. I was surprised that they had the entire collection, front and center. I immediately spied the collar on the OCBD, and to my eye, it's the same as my vintage BB six-button shirts. I had not seen this thread, so it was a complete and wonderful surprise.

Although I had no business buying (yet) another white shirt, I had to get one, if only as a vote of confidence in favor of the unlined collar. I didn't have a chance to try it on before buying it, but if it really is a slim fit, with that collar, I'll lead the parade down Madison Ave!

EDIT: When I get a chance, I'll compare the collar point length with my old BB shirts and report back.

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in the Atlanta store today, getting some BBBF items fitted, when I saw the Gatsby display. I was surprised that they had the entire collection, front and center. I immediately spied the collar on the OCBD, and to my eye, it's the same as my vintage BB six-button shirts. I had not seen this thread, so it was a complete and wonderful surprise.

Although I had no business buying (yet) another white shirt, I had to get one, if only as a vote of confidence in favor of the unlined collar. I didn't have a chance to try it on before buying it, but if it really is a slim fit, with that collar, I'll lead the parade down Madison Ave!

EDIT: When I get a chance, I'll compare the collar point length with my old BB shirts and report back.

Yes please do! I personally have no experience with those old skool OCBDs, so I don't mind the new ones. But I do love longer collars almost every time, so if love to see both a measurement comparison as well as a pic holding the two against each other, lining up the collar bands and seeing the difference

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I measured the collar points. They're 3.25", which is the same as on my 25+ year old OCBDs, and the same as current Brooks shirts. The chest on my 15.5 x 32 is about an inch trimmer than the slim fit (21" vs 22"), but not quite as trim as my extra slim fit shirts. I haven't measured the length of the body, but it seems longer than either the SF or the ESF, which I welcome, given my longer torso.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the shirt, especially given that it's the same price ($79.50) as Brooks' regular OCBD. Bravo!

ww21943

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post! I bought the club collar shirt from the Gatsby Collection and I am in love with it! I am a little worried the sleeves are going to shrink after the first wash. I may keep it out of the dryer.
It seems well constructed and the fabric is thick and sturdy.
I purchased the lattice tie which immediately reminded me of something out of the movie Chinatown. I also purchased a bow tie, my first one ever!

[/IMG]

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the whole collection in store - it is a bit costumey but I really like it. Unfortuantely, it's unlikely I would ever be able to pull it off. There are a few odd items like a sweater, ties, bow ties, pants and shirts that you could work into your regular rotation, but the jackets and suits are too bold for the average joe, myself included. Not to mention there is no love for american style in Toronto. So on top of having vey few places to wear such items, it's likely no one up here would get it if you did wear them.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just seen the collection online for the first time...would be nice to see it in a store too, but will likely not make it to the US before this "spectacle" is over again.

There are some nice examples in the collection (ivory linen suit, khaki wool & linen suit, the tie bar tennis collar shirts) and obviously some things which are over the top (guess the pink pin-stripe suit can be worn only at costume parties). Not saying that I like all the detailing (not sure about the combination of 3-roll-2 buttons with a peak lapel), but at least BB is trying something different and some things could serve as an inspiration for future orders at a custom tailor.

By the way: The fact that BB cannot achieve 100% accurate replications of 1920s tailoring should be clear since economics forces them to base the collection on their standard suit cuts, which unfortunately come by default with heavier shoulder padding. I really cannot understand the complaints about pricing: $996 for a half canvased made-in-usa suit sounds not so bad (especially since you can always apply the 15% corporate membership discount such that the price is rather around $850).

Last edited:

kv18schn

Reaction score
Really sucks being stuck at school right now with no BB within 100 miles. The clothing on-line is on point, especially some of the ties. The prices, however, are a bit steep and am hoping to see if I can place an order on the phone for a bow tie or something. The green shawl is an absolute, just maybe $50 cheaper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads