• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brioni Suit: Real or Fake?

alinar002

Reaction score
Purchasing what's advertised as a gently-used Brioni suit online and I want to make sure it's authentic. I have no reason to believe that it's not, but I've never bought/handled one before so I'd like anyone's opinion who knows about them. Also let me know if there are any other areas of suit that could establish it more definitely. I can get more photos if it's helpful

It's claimed to be a 2022 Essential grey Super 160's virgin wool Brunico:
IMG_20230921_173426_597.jpg
IMG_20230921_173422_615.jpg
IMG_20230921_173424_563.jpg
IMG_20230921_173247_609.jpg

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score
The Made in Italy tag looks super crooked from these pics. On that basis alone, I'm voting fake.

Edit: If this is real, and it's the case that the threads attaching the tag have unraveled, either Brioni workmanship ain't what it used to be or this thing has been worn hard. Either way, it's a no from me, dawg.

Additional edit: He's also storing $5,000+ Brioni suit on a cheap, thin plastic hanger that will degrade the shape of the shoulders?!

Last edited:

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
That’s a real Brioni suit.

The reason the tag is crooked is it’s come undone.

I own dozens of Brioni suits, including Brunico models just like this one from 2022 including a super 160’s just like this except Navy.

That’s a 100% real suit, I can vouch just on your pics alone. The “x” styled stitching on the tags, the lining with the polo rider…you have a real Brioni.

In fact, I can tell just from the first pic alone by how the collar and collar tag looks that it’s a real Brioni. No one is going through the trouble of faking all the tiny details I can clearly see in your pics. As someone who is a Brioni fan and has handled many pieces from Brioni, that’s a real Brioni suit. Enjoy it. One of the best Italian brands and my personal favorite.

mottykytu

Reaction score
It is an Brioni, but most Brioni RTW is UGLY and Boxy, especially Vintage one before 2010 I guess ! Try some Neapolitian instead ! The Roma things is not for everyone daily wear !

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
It is an Brioni, but most Brioni RTW is UGLY and Boxy, especially Vintage one before 2010 I guess ! Try some Neapolitian instead ! The Roma things is not for everyone daily wear !
Brioni made in the past 7-8 years (since 2013 or so) is much, much better than older models.

mottykytu

Reaction score
Brioni made in the past 7-8 years (since 2013 or so) is much, much better than older models.
If you need Brioni Suit sihlouette , go with British tailor, it is much better IMHO...

If you need true Italian, stay away from Brioni, go with Milan or especially Neapolitan tailor

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
If you need Brioni Suit sihlouette , go with British tailor, it is much better IMHO...

If you need true Italian, stay away from Brioni, go with Milan or especially Neapolitan tailor
What British tailor can do this? Why would I do this if I can just get the real thing? Brioni is a quality product.

I’ve owned suits from some of the best British tailors and suit makers money can buy - Lutwyche, etc. they are nice, but I still sometimes buy Brioni.

I also love Kiton, Isaia, and Attolini but I own many Brioni suits that easily are just as nice as the Neapolitan makers.

Honestly the nicest suits I’ve ever worn are Bijan by D’Avenza. They are exquisite.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
What British tailor can do this? Why would I do this if I can just get the real thing? Brioni is a quality product.

I’ve owned suits from some of the best British tailors and suit makers money can buy - Lutwyche, etc. they are nice, but I still sometimes buy Brioni.

I also love Kiton, Isaia, and Attolini but I own many Brioni suits that easily are just as nice as the Neapolitan makers.

Honestly the nicest suits I’ve ever worn are Bijan by D’Avenza. They are exquisite.
I hear you on how nice Brionis are. It wasn't my cup of tea 10+ years ago when I tried a few on, but I understand they may have softened the silhouette up a bit since then. I also get that OP's question is simply whether the suit is real or fake, but I can't get past the fact that we're not talking about brand new Brionis that you've (presumably) purchased; this is a suit with loose threads that has been stored on a cheap, plastic hanger for who knows how long under who knows what other less-than-ideal conditions, not to mention potential alterations of unknown quality. OP didn't say the price, but I can't imagine spending anything significant on a second-hand suit with red flags like this, no matter the maker.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I hear you on how nice Brionis are. It wasn't my cup of tea 10+ years ago when I tried a few on, but I understand they may have softened the silhouette up a bit since then. I also get that OP's question is simply whether the suit is real or fake, but I can't get past the fact that we're not talking about brand new Brionis that you've (presumably) purchased; this is a suit with loose threads that has been stored on a cheap, plastic hanger for who knows how long under who knows what other less-than-ideal conditions, not to mention potential alterations of unknown quality. OP didn't say the price, but I can't imagine spending anything significant on a second-hand suit with red flags like this, no matter the maker.
100% in agreement with this, the suit was definitely not taken care of very well.

Edit: also, I rarely buy suits new. I’m a big thrifter on eBay etc. but I’m willing to occasionally pay 1-2000 for a new with tags suit on eBay from one of the major sellers like NYMilan that I know is my size, which is still a massive discount for a suit from Isaia, Brioni, or Tom Ford.

My 2 best finds ever were a D’Avenza Bijan navy suit made of Pashmina Silk I got for $500, and a Kiton 3r2 suit in solid navy 14 micron I got for $600. Both my exact size and in perfect condition, and very current, not dated at all. Made within the past few years. I’ve had many more amazing finds but those 2 I consider my best. And a pair of perfect black Berluti Alessandro’s for $150.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads