• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Leander walker

Reaction score
Swaine is still primarily made in England and a fine product. They are now making a few styles in Italy that seem geared to a younger audience. The British leather goods industry has been decimated in recent years. The traditional bridle briefcases , while excellent quality have fallen out of favor with a younger audience. Pittards , one of the world's largest leather processors and a British supplier for leather worldwide , went into administration a few months ago and has closed with large job losses. Whitehouse Cox , a quality English leather goods maker since 1875,went out of business this year. Alfred Dunhill , who constantly trumpets their British pedigree , makes all their leather goods in Italy. England was known worldwide for making some of the finast leather goods. Fortunately there are still a few of these companies left and they are still top-notch.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: An old SF review of a Swaine case, and cursory comparison with the Filson satchel:

The review comparison is not an apple to apple comparison with Validus' bag, which I believe is vegetable tanned leather. The Filson satchel, discontinued and highly sought after on Ebay, is of bridle leather. Still the Filson is a half strap over (vs. the full strap around on the Clegg) and gives a view of English vs. American approach from someone who has owned both.

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted a Halliburton, so....

Personally, I don't see Clegg as being better quality than Ettinger. They are of equal quality, though I think Ettinger designs are nicer. That said, there are about a dozen better makers in Japan, though they won't do business with you without an in-person visit

I don't believe SAB isn't as good as it used to be. People are always saying this about all these high end brands that got bought up, but in many cases can't specifically identify how.
Would you mind naming a couple of those Japanese makers? Thanks.

pmart123

Reaction score
I'm heading to Paris soon and am hoping to get a new leather work bag. Does anyone have any recommendations for French bands or local stores in Paris? Two I've found so far are Lancel and Le Tanneur. I'm aiming for a $750-1500 price range, but also willing to go a little higher as well.

Leander walker

Reaction score
As for the comparison of buckle strap briefcases , there were many posts in the past comparing the Swaine Adeney version with Filson. Both are bridle leather but the Swaine Adeney has a more refined look and was hand stitched as opposed to the machine stitched Filson. But the Swaine Adeney was over double the price. The Filson was a very nice , sturdy case but unfortunately no longer made. The Frank Clegg case mentioned cannot compare. It does not have a lock The two before mentioned cases have traditional , functional locks. The Clegg case looks unfinished and naked without a lock, incidentally , the Swaine case is still being sold. As far as Japanese makers,Goldpfeil,which has a long and storied history as a premier leather brand , was formerly made in Germany but for the past few years now produced in Japan. There are few styles you can see on their website and the quality is excellent

epsilon22

Reaction score
Interesting, when I bought my first leather briefcase I went for the Clegg zip-top precisely because I didn't want to get a briefcase with a lock. They just looked too unusual these days, in a way that'd attract attention (could be good for some, I suppose, but not exactly something I wanted as a junior who just started on the job).

Swaine had some nice stuffs, but was just not at a price point I could reasonably consider since I just started working. I'm considering getting a second briefcase in a different style for a change of pace (the Clegg is still in a good shape), maybe I'll check Swaine and a few other brands out.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Would you mind naming a couple of those Japanese makers? Thanks.
This is an old thread but pretty much everything in here is absolutely next-level:

Ortus does trunk shows at The Armoury and makes heirloom-quality bags.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
I'm heading to Paris soon and am hoping to get a new leather work bag. Does anyone have any recommendations for French bands or local stores in Paris? Two I've found so far are Lancel and Le Tanneur. I'm aiming for a $750-1500 price range, but also willing to go a little higher as well.
Le Tanneur is more akin to Tumi, range-wise. When I was a child, longer ago than I cared to admit, they were a common maker of kid's school backpacks (briefcases with straps, really, "cartables"), Lancel is a bit higher but neither would I pay $1500 for.

Have a look at Hosoï Paris:

Larfeuille:

Valet de Pique:

and Joseph Duclos (probably far above your budget, like Hermès):

You could also have one made bespoke by Atelier Subdivise (I've used him before for commissions, his work is rustic with strong thick saddlery leather rather than the more refined and delicate Parisian styles, but outstanding in quality):

I would also suggest visiting the bags section of the Le Bon Marché department store (then go to La Grande Épicerie, their grocery next door, which is celebrating its centennial).

Last edited:

marlinspike

Reaction score
if you go to La Grande Épicerie could you please take a photo of their case of high end smoked salmon? They had one beans I can't remember the name of that I am trying to find, I'll know it when I see the packaging.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have experience or perspective on Metier London’s leather bags?

Looking for something more casual than a traditional briefcase that can act as a travel bag and go with me to work/meetings.

This one (the Vagabond) caught my eye:

38A88F6D-E6D3-4F8D-88DB-65E264BB7783.jpeg

571B460D-4233-4948-BA61-AFBF665FE01E.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics