• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I didn't know there is a secondary market for this stuff. Is that assuming you can get a lower price than MSRP, or is there more of a demand in certain areas? I ask b/c I can think of half a dozen places in Boston that seem to always have the 20 yr in stock at ~$105. The 23 is def more scarce but it is in some of the same stores.
Well, the way people have talked in this thread at times you would think some of the stuff is just impossible to get. Maybe I should ask instead for a list of what people consistently can't find and would pay over MSRP to get.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't know there is a secondary market for this stuff. Is that assuming you can get a lower price than MSRP, or is there more of a demand in certain areas? I ask b/c I can think of half a dozen places in Boston that seem to always have the 20 yr in stock at ~$105. The 23 is def more scarce but it is in some of the same stores.

Originally Posted by j
Well, the way people have talked in this thread at times you would think some of the stuff is just impossible to get. Maybe I should ask instead for a list of what people consistently can't find and would pay over MSRP to get.

I know I've never seen a bottle of Pappy in the flesh. Neither Specs downtown nor Richard's (who is listed as a distributor) seems to ever have a bottle. And since my interest actually knows some limits...I pretty well quit looking, although I know I can order on-line.

As far as a secondary market, I wouldn't be surprised at all. A while back I read of bottle swaps and sample swaps on a whiskey board (I forget which one) so it wouldn't be out of the question, once you get over the (rather imposing) trust issue. It's certainly not as innocuous as, say, a perfume swap.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think something like a George T Stagg bourbon might have more worth on the secondary market than the 20 and 23 yr PVW. This is something I rarely see on store shelves in Boston.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think something like a George T Stagg bourbon might have more worth on the secondary market than the 20 and 23 yr PVW. This is something I rarely see on store shelves in Boston.

+1 And some of the other antiques, as well. This is especially true as the year goes on and people have consumed their bottles.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Some people will pay over list for Pappy 20 and 23, but I wouldn't speculate on it. They are annual or bi-annual releases so unless you find a real collector who is missing your particular batch you'll end up sitting on it for a while. Furthermore, they aren't vintage dated, so its hard to prove that your bottle is 10 years old, and not right off a shelf. American Whiskey that might be resellable down the line: Rip Van Winkle decanter Buffalo Trace Antique Series Buffalo Trace Experimental collection Sam Adams Utopia

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Hmm. If one could theoretically get his hands on some Pappy Van Winkle 20 or 23, how much would it be worth in the informal secondary market?

Probably not much more than retail I am afraid, since most people who are willing to pay retail can usually find a source. I just picked up a bottle of 20 year old for $105 the other day, and saw the 23 on the shelf for $250 IIRC. Still have half a bottle of the 23 yo sitting on my bar, and while it's very good, it's not worth the $150 premium to the 20 yo, at least not to an unsophisticated palate like mine,

Maybe more worth in terms of % premium over retail, but I doubt it'd fetch more an a $ basis.. I love GTS, but one gets high proof fatigue very quickly, it's only good as a once a week treat IMO.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The awesomest thing is to find vintage spirits that are no longer made in dusty liquor stores. It is a real hobby of mine -- I just keep the stuff I find. Vintage bottles of Campari (pre-FD&C red days), Tanqueray Mallacca, vintage Zaya rum, and my favorite find, a Rare Malts Selection Mortlach 22yo scotch -- I love Mortlach and opened it before I Googled it to then find it is about a $500 bottle for which I paid $110. Damn fine though. ~ H

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
The awesomest thing is to find vintage spirits that are no longer made in dusty liquor stores. It is a real hobby of mine -- I just keep the stuff I find. Vintage bottles of Campari (pre-FD&C red days), Tanqueray Mallacca, vintage Zaya rum, and my favorite find, a Rare Malts Selection Mortlach 22yo scotch -- I love Mortlach and opened it before I Googled it to then find it is about a $500 bottle for which I paid $110. Damn fine though.

~ H

I usually keep me eye open when I hit off the beaten path liquor stores, but have never really lucked out beyond finding hard to find current spirits at decent prices.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
** Disclaimer**

I know it is a Tennessee Whiskey

**End of Disclaimer**

Picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrell on a whim. I have never been crazy about Tennessee Whiskeys, I find them too sweet, too smooth, and lacking character. I was mildly impressed with the JD Single Barrell, and probably admit it has a place in a well rounded bar. Anybody else try this?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
** Disclaimer**

I know it is a Tennessee Whiskey

**End of Disclaimer**

Picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrell on a whim. I have never been crazy about Tennessee Whiskeys, I find them too sweet, too smooth, and lacking character. I was mildly impressed with the JD Single Barrell, and probably admit it has a place in a well rounded bar. Anybody else try this?

Not the single barrel, but I did recently try regular No. 7 Jack Daniels again, and was quite surprised. Like you, I was never crazy about Jack Daniels, albeit for different reasons (bad experiences of doing shots of Jack in my younger days). Anyways, after having tried all sorts of bourbon lately, I decided to give Jack another try, but instead of taking shots, I poured it into a glass over some rocks, and sipped it as I would any other bourbon. I was pretty impressed. Very smooth, very drinkable.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
** Disclaimer**

I know it is a Rye Whiskey

**End of Disclaimer**

I was in the mood for Manhattans this weekend, so I picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye 101 -- for a $22 bottle of whiskey, my expectations weren't too high. I was pleasantly surprised. Although I didn't try it neat, mixed with sweet vermouth and a touch of bitters, it was very good.

syn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
** Disclaimer**

I know it is a Rye Whiskey

**End of Disclaimer**

I was in the mood for Manhattans this weekend, so I picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye 101 -- for a $22 bottle of whiskey, my expectations weren't too high. I was pleasantly surprised. Although I didn't try it neat, mixed with sweet vermouth and a touch of bitters, it was very good.

I may be in the minority here, but I really like WT101 Rye neat. That said, my favorite remains to be an 18 yo Black Maple Hill Rye. I wish I stocked up on that 4 years ago.

grate

Reaction score
Picked up a JD Single Barrel for a good price over the holidays and I was also impressed-- good both on the rocks and in a coctail (old fashioned for me, thanks). I also enjoy WT Rye in between bottles of Van Winkle Family Reserve.

Invicta

Reaction score
Few new additions to the collection:

DSC00732.jpg
DSC00738.jpg

DSC00737.jpg
DSC00712.jpg

Sazerac_18.jpg

I also picked up a couple bottles of the Pappy van Winkle 20yr, FINALLY!

The Willet Family reserves are really quite interesting, the bartenders at Bourbon started me on them, they do both reserve rye and bourbon whiskey. They range from 90-137 proof, I had two of the 23 year ryes, the "Velvet Glove" and the "Iron Fist". Accurate names, they start off similarly, bold and spicy, while the Glove mellows out with a very smooth long finish, and the Fist stays strong with a much harsher finish. The one that I bought was the "Calypso", a bourbon, haven't opened it yet.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta
Few new additions to the collection:
DSC00732.jpg
DSC00738.jpg
DSC00737.jpg
DSC00712.jpg
Sazerac_18.jpg
I also picked up a couple bottles of the Pappy van Winkle 20yr, FINALLY! The Willet Family reserves are really quite interesting, the bartenders at Bourbon started me on them, they do both reserve rye and bourbon whiskey. They range from 90-137 proof, I had two of the 23 year ryes, the "Velvet Glove" and the "Iron Fist". Accurate names, they start off similarly, bold and spicy, while the Glove mellows out with a very smooth long finish, and the Fist stays strong with a much harsher finish. The one that I bought was the "Calypso", a bourbon, haven't opened it yet.

Willet is interesting, they are finishing, or just finished their own distillery, but in the meantime they have been buying great barrels. How old is the one you got? Do you have any more information the Copper Pick Rye? Also, which BT Experimental did you get?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads