• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books about changes...motivational

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I'm not huge into motivational books, but I've always liked "I Feel Great And You Can Too" by Pat Croce, former owner of the Philadelphia 76ers. Pat started out with humble beginnings and eventually worked his way up to owning several businesses and the aforementioned sports team. He calls out each motivational point with a little icon so if you want you can just read the icons and skip the rest of the book.
laugh.gif

If you're more the Christian type, the "one on one" series is also pretty good. I have the Mike Singletary (former Bears LB, current 49ers head coach) edition. It features a testimonial by the athlete on one page, with Bible references and corresponding analysis on the opposite page.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Are there some fictional titles like The Alchemist? Any biographies?

I read that Pat Croce book. I'm from Philly so its a must read.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
If you want a novel, Love and Glory by Robert B. Parker is one of my favorites... http://www.amazon.com/Love-Glory-Rob...1211208&sr=8-1

It's about a man pursuing the love of his life, hitting bottom, coming to terms and making the necessary changes in his life.

There are also some good details of his clothing selections making a nice bonus for Forumites like us.
smile.gif

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
I really enjoyed The Last Lecture. Popular this Holiday season (dunno how obscure you were looking for), but I actually really enjoyed it.
last-lecture.jpg

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
If you want a novel, Love and Glory by Robert B. Parker is one of my favorites... http://www.amazon.com/Love-Glory-Rob...1211208&sr=8-1

It's about a man pursuing the love of his life, hitting bottom, coming to terms and making the necessary changes in his life.

There are also some good details of his clothing selections making a nice bonus for Forumites like us.
smile.gif

This looks good. How does it read, the cover looks grocery novel genre?

Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
I really enjoyed The Last Lecture. Popular this Holiday season (dunno how obscure you were looking for), but I actually really enjoyed it.

last-lecture.jpg

I'll check this out. How does it compare to his speech on youtube?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
I'll check these out. I'm just a little wary of self-help book.
I loathe them in general... But I keep finding people who think the Peck book is great -- from university professors to an undocumented Mexican immigrant who had 4 yrs of formal schooling (one of the smartest people I know). An aunt gave it to me when I was 23 and depressed bec. my college girlfriend of the prior 3.5 yrs had dumped me (hard). I resisted it for a year or so, then read it and found it helpful.
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse in high school, and found it very enlightening.
A great book. I also loved "The Tao of Pooh" by Hoff(?). A great kids book w/ deeper meaning is "Hope for the Butterflies."
Are there some fictional titles like The Alchemist? Any biographies?
the Alchemist is good. I've heard the Life of Pi is too, but I haven't read it.
Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
...Last Lecture...
My brother, who went to Carnegie Mellon, says this is great. I need to check it out.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not at all impressed by the last lecture. I find the man impressive, but the lecture was kind of boring. A lot of it really didn't mean much and I don't see how so many people found it compelling.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah the last lecture wasn't that inspiring to me. Ok, so the guy has 6 months to live and he is talking about making your dreams come true. That's touching, and I feel bad for him. But it still wasn't that inspirational.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
This looks good. How does it read, the cover looks grocery novel genre?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but it's certainly not heavy literature. It's an easy, quick read.

I tend to identify with the main character, so it's a book I like.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yeah the last lecture wasn't that inspiring to me. Ok, so the guy has 6 months to live and he is talking about making your dreams come true. That's touching, and I feel bad for him. But it still wasn't that inspirational.

yea, it could have been much more powerful. I actually watched the segment on Oprah, (don't ask why, my GF was into it) and it was really, really bad. Condensing the lecture just looked awkward, and when he did the pushup thing it just looked so rehearsed and terrible. There was a very thin message and the delivery was bad. I mean people go crazy for that lecture but there are so many swan songs out there that top this.

Reaction score
Being and Nothingness by Sartre----in particular, the notion of "bad faith" is useful for living well
Thus Spake Zarathustra by Nietzsche---for learning how to say yes instead of abiding by "shalt not's"
Myth of Sisyphus by Camus----a reminder to keep pushing, and to reject suicide

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I couldn't stand that book when I was a full-time weed-smoking hippie.
eh.gif

Pot in the 60s was crapola. Try some of today's stuff and reread.

It's a trip, man.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads