• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theoldadage

Reaction score
I would say white, particularly if you are wearing a cummerbund or low-cut waistcoat as black would interrupt the lines.....

migo

Reaction score
major resurrection, but is there anything wrong with both ?

IMGP9372.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Thurston suspenders that I use for normal black tie are black with embroidered white polka dots, with the much lamented cat gut ends.

So, black and white.

- B

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
as no one is supposed to see them anyway, why not get something BLOODY AWESOME
+1 By the time you have your dinner jacket off, you would be well into drinking champagne out of ladies high heel pumps. At that point, no one is likely to throw a rule book at you* *BTW, the rule is: don't ever take your jacket off when you are wearing Dinner Clothes in polite company.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Umm, stupid question: with a double-breasted dinner jacket, do I wear braces or get side-tabs?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Umm, stupid question: with a double-breasted dinner jacket, do I wear braces or get side-tabs?

You are correct. Braces.

Black, white, brightly-colored, and/or naked ladies acceptable.

videocrew

Reaction score
Well presumably a DB DJ is never going to be unbuttoned in public, and your wife is stuck with you at the end of the evening, so since it doesn't matter at all, get whatever you're most comfortable with. My ludicrous lack of ass precludes side tabs from really working all that well for me, and since nothing looks dumber than grabbing at your pants all night, I do braces. I'd do it with suits too but being a chubby younger guy wearing suspenders at the office would make me really want to kick my own ass.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ SO, you would wear a cumberbund over the braces?

aKula

Reaction score
Last night I wore pink braces with black tie. Under a waistcoat of course. I'll buy some black ones soon. First time wearing black tie. There were quite a few in black tie at the opera last night, glad I could be counted amongst them. Actually reading black tie guide was what got me (deeply) interested in sartorialism.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^^ SO, you would wear a cumberbund over the braces?

In your case, yes. Several cummerbunds...and maybe two sets of suspenders, one buttoned on the inside of the trouser waist, the second on the outside. Make sure that they are very elastic, so that you can employ them to shoot rotten tomatoes across the room.

Also, two bowties. Buttondown wing collar. Domed, pith helmet-style top hat.

Alternatively, you can wear your DB dinner jacket without a cummerbund, like normal men.

Are you anticipating taking your jacket off? Fisticuffs? Rope climbing?

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Alternatively, you can wear your DB dinner jacket without a cummerbund, like normal men.

So, do I still need braces or do I get side tabs?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surely whichever you prefer, or whichever works better on your waist? No one will see them. Hell you could even get both!!!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Suspenders will always give the greater potential for a more consistent, elegant look with trousers. But, to take advantage of that, you have to commit to having them cut a bit looser in the waist than with unbraced trousers.

Since most guys these days are accustomed to the feel of belted trousers, the shift in comfort and discomfort points going to braced trousers is often annoying. Many times, it is just daft to pursue that last margin of elegance if the price is squirming around in misery.

Are you getting straight backed trousers? If so, you could just get them done up with side tabs, just ever so slightly loose but not so loose that the side tabs would strain to easily cinch the waist to fit, and then have brace buttons sewn in. Then, you could experiment yourself.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads