• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best US Cities for Mens Clothing Shopping

style_geek

Reaction score
This is my gut but let me know thoughts on best cities to shop for mens clothes (suits, shoes, sweaters).

1) New York City
2) Los Angeles
3) San Francisco
4) Miami
5) Chicago
6) Boston
7) Washington DC
8) Houston
9) Miami
10) Philadelphia
11) Dallas
12) Atlanta
13) Seattle

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my gut but let me know thoughts on best cities to shop for mens clothes (suits, shoes, sweaters).

1) New York City
2) Los Angeles
3) San Francisco
4) Miami
5) Chicago
6) Boston
7) Washington DC
8) Houston
9) Miami
10) Philadelphia
11) Dallas
12) Atlanta
13) Seattle

You are very generous. San Francisco is a menswear desert.
LA isn't much better.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
The list is pretty much

1. New York City
2. I guess some other places, kind of, not really.

I can name a few spots in DC or Chicago, I know LA has a few cool stores (including second locations for a few NYC stores), I know one great store in Miami (Supply and Advise), but none of them are really worth discussing in the same breath as New York.

If a menswear brand has two locations, one of them is in New York. Pretty consistently.

We have more MTM and Bespoke makers than can reasonably be counted. We have a similar number of sneaker shops from Extra Butter to Sneakersnstuff to Concepts. Funky casual at NMWA, Nepenthes, 18 East. Then there's Bode, ALD, Noah, Drake's, and Rowing Blazers. And just about every luxury brand you can think of. Great thrift stores, plus popups like Alfargo's Marketplace. We have more bespoke tailors visiting than you can possibly keep track of. We have sample sales. We have two locations of the Armoury for some reason. We have cool department stores like Dover Street Market. Our *worst* mall is Hudson Yards. We have flagship stores for brands available everywhere -- people come here to visit our Ralph Lauren store, even though you can try Ralph Lauren on anywhere, because our store is something else.

DC is one of the better cities for menswear, but what's the best thing a menswear enthusiast in DC can buy? An Amtrak ticket. That's like, actual advice people give.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) New York City
2) Los Angeles
3) San Francisco
4) Miami
5) Chicago
6) Boston
7) Washington DC
8) Houston
9) Miami
10) Philadelphia
11) Dallas
12) Atlanta
13) Seattle

1) NYC--that one's easy
2) DC
3) LA (I could swap with Chicago because maybe I have an outdated and romanticized Sulka/Cary Grant vision of LA)
4) Chicago

You have SF way too high unless ill fitting chinos and fleece vests are most important.

style_geek

Reaction score
1) NYC--that one's easy
2) DC
3) LA (I could swap with Chicago because maybe I have an outdated and romanticized Sulka/Cary Grant vision of LA)
4) Chicago

You have SF way too high unless ill fitting chinos and fleece vests are most important.

Where is Boston on your list? Surprised they aren't on it.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would your list be? Chicago higher?

I moved from Chicago to the Bay Area about 30 years ago.
When I lived in Chicago I mainly shopped in NYC. At that
time I would have put Chicago ahead of SF in tailored clothing
options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads