• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Quality V-neck For Low Price

jpwatts

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was curious as to where you guys go to purchase v-necks tees. That is, if you wear them. If not, where do you go to purchase your crewneck tees? If you don't wear those either then...I don't know.

Sadly, I am in college. That means that I try and get the best quality for the lowest price. Some of my favorite places to go are Banana Republic, J. Crew, or Land's End Canvas. If you don't like these stores, or are able to afford to shop at "better" places, let me again remind you that I do not have the funds to afford such "luxuries." I hope you remember that sometimes the name doesn't always mean quality...then again, most of the time it does. But it my case, I am trying to do what I can to look stylish among those who know of no such thing around campus.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
FWIW, just buy the cheapest 100% cotton t's you can find.

There are a lot of items in the SF world that are worth going long green on. Custom shirts for sure, good shoes, and at the high end a well made bespoke suit. I have purchased all of these items with seldom a regret. That said, I have never found it was worth the extra dollar going for top t-shirts, underwear, socks, or nightwear. I have bought Pantherella socks. They are no more comfortable or stylish than my Gold Toes, and I have found they dont last nearly as long. Same for Zimmerli underwear. Same for Derrick Rose nightwear. Cant give you one reason they cost about 10xs more than the department store stuff. Looks, feels, wears, and lasts almost exactly the same.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost completely agree with you.

SOME pantherella or other upper end socks are visually superior to plain old gold toes. Meaning patterns, textures, weaves, etc. etc. And if that matters to you they are worth the extra pennies. I do agree that they won't last any longer, be any more comfortable etc. etc. than the better quality department store brands such as 'gold toe'. And if you are buying plain, unpatterned socks there is no real major difference between the old gold toes and the more expensive upper end brands.

Of course if you like cashmere, merino wool, etc. etc. you will have to pay for it.

Regarding t-shirts: Pure cotton t shirts vary greatly in terms of the weight of the fabric. Cheap ones are thin, thin, thin. they are thus less effective at absorbing perspiration - a big issue in my book.

Hi tech t-shirts are amazing in their ability to wick and evaporate moisture and thus are great for hot weather climates as they will actually keep you cooler than no t shirt at all.

Shiny

Reaction score
I think you should avoid brands like Hanes and fruit of the loom. They fit well initially, but over time shrink and wear down. I would go to a marshalls or TJ maxx and find undershirts that have a long tail. This ensures that they stay tucked in your pants. You'll probably pay $10-$15 for a 3 pack. They sell Jockeys, Polo, Calvin Klein. those are better than hanes.

ducatisteve

Reaction score
RibbedTee classic v-necks are $18.50 for a 2 pack are not only some of the nicest undershirts on the market, they'll last quite a while too.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Assuming that we are talking about v-necks or crew necks that you wear as undershirts and not just by themselves, I would just buy a pack of Hanes at Sams Club. I've purchased plenty of them there and never had any issue with them shrinking or wearing down. Plus, if they do, buying another pack is still cheaper than what you would initially pay for some of the more expensive brands.

HLow

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
not to mention cheap as @#$%^&

Uniqlo. Without a doubt. I buy these by the dozen when I travel to Japan.

jpwatts

Reaction score

I wish that they would start providing the ability for people like myself, people in the US, to purchase their clothing. I know they are expanding and my hopes should soon be answered, but, hopefully, they do it soon. Maybe they already have and I am just unaware...but at least when I have tried I have not been granted the option of 'purchase.'

jpwatts

Reaction score

I also like Uniqlo.
But I have notice something that is...problematic. Despite wanting to purchase their clothes, I don't think there is the option - as of yet. I know they are starting to expand, but, I believe, they do not ship to the US. This is true, correct?

wellers73

Reaction score
Assuming that we are talking about v-necks or crew necks that you wear as undershirts and not just by themselves, I would just buy a pack of Hanes at Sams Club. I've purchased plenty of them there and never had any issue with them shrinking or wearing down. Plus, if they do, buying another pack is still cheaper than what you would initially pay for some of the more expensive brands.

What about t-shirts to be worn by themselves? I'm talking about a medium to heavier weight, solid color t-shirt that one would wear with jeans or chinos on a warm day. I used to always buy solid shirts from The Gap, but their quality seems to have dropped off.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Uniqlo when I'm in Japan. Otherwise any of the outlet stores and the 3 packs of Calvin Kleins

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

What about t-shirts to be worn by themselves? I'm talking about a medium to heavier weight, solid color t-shirt that one would wear with jeans or chinos on a warm day. I used to always buy solid shirts from The Gap, but their quality seems to have dropped off.

Probably not going to be a popular answer, but I like v-necks from Banana Republic.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solarpanel3000