• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Gaming Desktop for Less than $1K?

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Somebody please make a list of the components you would use for a sub-1000k computer.
Shamelessly stolen from another forum Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-2500k Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 341 (Do what you like aesthetically) Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 RAM: G. Skill DDR3 1333 (any brand will do, but G. Skill is cheap and good) Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Solidly high end without getting into the >300 range) Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (You'll need it for the video card) = ~$875 A DVD Burner will run you 20 bucks maybe. If you want the 1000 bucks to include a LCD, a 23" Dell U2311H will run you about 250-280. To keep it under the threshold, you could downgrade the video card to a Geforce 460 1GB

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
Shamelessly stolen from another forum

Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-2500k
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 341 (Do what you like aesthetically)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45
RAM: G. Skill DDR3 1333 (any brand will do, but G. Skill is cheap and good)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Solidly high end without getting into the >300 range)
Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB
Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (You'll need it for the video card)

= ~$875

A DVD Burner will run you 20 bucks maybe. If you want the 1000 bucks to include a LCD, a 23" Dell U2311H will run you about 250-280. To keep it under the threshold, you could downgrade the video card to a Geforce 460 1GB

Much appreciated, this is exactly the type of info that I'm looking for in case I go the custom-build- it-yourself route!

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash
Software is $100, everybody always forgets to tally that in.

Are you referring to add-ons like MS Office? If so, I can run that stuff on my laptop. Just interested in the gaming rig for gaming only. If you mean the OS, that's different.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Yeah you need to buy the OS, or you can pirate. If you are going to pirate it, building it might save you a few bucks.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Of all the things to pirate, an OS is pretty stupid.

One great option if you are a student is to buy it on discount for $30.

Definitely look through slickdeals/fatwallet for all components before you just buy from newegg.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Of all the things to pirate, an OS is pretty stupid.

One great option if you are a student is to buy it on discount for $30.

Definitely look through slickdeals/fatwallet for all components before you just buy from newegg.

They don't do that $30 discount anymore.

Yes Furo, I'm speaking OS only.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shamelessly stolen from another forum Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-2500k Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 341 (Do what you like aesthetically) Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 RAM: G. Skill DDR3 1333 (any brand will do, but G. Skill is cheap and good) Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Solidly high end without getting into the >300 range) Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (You'll need it for the video card) = ~$875 A DVD Burner will run you 20 bucks maybe. If you want the 1000 bucks to include a LCD, a 23" Dell U2311H will run you about 250-280. To keep it under the threshold, you could downgrade the video card to a Geforce 460 1GB
This is a good setup. I wouldn't skimp on any of the components. They are all good quality brands also. Don't downgrade the graphics card though. It is the most important part.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for about 120 bucks OEM. No reason not to.

Yes, I know....I'm only mentioning people need to factor that into a build price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics