• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Cities to Live in Starting a Career out of College

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
Which cities do you guys recommend for starting a career in accounting, besides South Florida and Atlanta?

South Florida is a total economic basket case right now.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 more years to complete my degree and then I should be out for good.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
South Florida is a total economic basket case right now.

+1

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
South Florida?
uhoh.gif

The city of South Florida in the state of Miami

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
Which cities do you guys recommend for starting a career in accounting, besides South Florida and Atlanta?

Anywhere where the Big 4 does on-campus recruiting for at your school.

austinite

Reaction score
I have big4 accounting friends in Austin, Dallas, Houston, Denver, DC, and NYC. It seems like you can do that awful job for meager pay in whichever city you'd like.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate
right out of college?

Move to NYC just to get it out of your system. Seriously.

Can you elaborate on that?

Traverse City Michigan is beautiful during the summer time.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember also that If you live/work in Miami or any of the Texas cities, you'll have a nice take home pay bump because of the 0% state income tax rate. Although Miami has a small advantage in not being a hellhole like Texas
tongue.gif
fight[1].gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you recommending "flyover country" type places, did you actually move there as an adult or is it just your hometown?

I know a few people who moved to such places, and while they might seem pleasant, inexpensive, and convenient for raising a family, I'm not sure it would work well for twenty-somethings just out of college. Common complaints I have heard are lack of nightlife, most people are from there and just hang out with their high school buddies (so it's hard for outsiders to make friends), and everyone gets married really young.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Texas really that bad? I haven't been there but Houston was one of the places I was contemplating moving to after school ....Btw, FL charges more for property taxes and home owners insurance so it kinda balances out with respect to other southern states that do have state and federal taxes. My last resort would be to move to ATL since I own a home there.....I've been in South Florida over 10 years and have no desire to settle here....

Ole War Skule

Reaction score
I love Houston...but I also grew up here.

Great food, decent night life, fishing, hunting, plenty of recent grads, center of the oil and gas industry, close enough to Austin, Dallas, New Orleans, Baton Rouge etc for a quick weekend trip.

Weather sucks, and almost everything outside the 610 loop is God awful, but otherwise, I have no complaints.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Houston so I like it but I can see why a lot of outsiders might not. It's hot, traffic sucks, and there aren't a lot of outdoor type things to do within the city.

On the plus side though, the airport is a hub airport for United Contiental so you can get a direct flight to almost any city in the country and a lot of international places.

Overall, it's a great place if you want to work and make money since a lot of things are cheap and the pay is good for most professionals.

austinite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Remember also that If you live/work in Miami or any of the Texas cities, you'll have a nice take home pay bump because of the 0% state income tax rate.

Although Miami has a small advantage in not being a hellhole like Texas
tongue.gif
fight[1].gif

Texas is a big state. To fit the pattern of the other 47 continental states geographically it would need to be divided into 4-5 states. There are certainly plenty of locations in Texas (in fact the vast majority in terms of land area) that I would never ever consider living in.

To say that the state as a whole is a hellhole however, well, you probably haven't been here much.

San Antonio seems to poor to me (no racist), I admit that I wouldn't want to live there. I've never liked Houston as a whole but I am certain that I could find an apartment in the right place that I would enjoy. I wouldn't like Dallas suburbia, but I think the city itself is really cool. All of my young professional friends that live there love it (less true for Houston.) Austin totally kicks ass, almost nobody that has been here disagrees. Considering a strong economy and nice weather (hot summers is much better than cold winters,) Texas has it pretty good I think.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought too, it looks like the weather in Houston is no worse than that of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale hence it should suffice....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads