• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Chocolates in the World??

Tarzan

Reaction score
Ok, I want to try some of this stuff. Do you know any online shops in EU that deliver to EU countries? Thanks

CBDB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by M.D.
... However, when I think about it, the only chocolate for which I specifically make a detour everytime I'm visiting the seaside is The Chocolate Line in Bruges (http://www.thechocolateline.be/) This is one of the three chocolate shops mentionned in the Michelin guide.

My kids still mention that place now almost 10 years later. Absolutely the best. Leonidas are good too btw.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned Amedei.
From what I've heard they make some of the finest dark chocolate in the world.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
That's true, but I think that the conversation extends to anything available to the public.

To elaborate on this, I nearly always disagree with the purist point of view, which is pretty popular here on any number of clothing related subjects. For example, it could be argued that, say, Freeman's Sporting Club, or Paul Stuart, or Domenico Vacca, just to take as disparate retailer/designers as are represented on the forum, don't actually make anything. They contract out with well known manufacturers in various categories, but they do offer a coherent vision.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
To elaborate on this, I nearly always disagree with the purist point of view, which is pretty popular here on any number of clothing related subjects. For example, it could be argued that, say, Freeman's Sporting Club, or Paul Stuart, or Domenico Vacca, just to take as disparate retailer/designers as are represented on the forum, don't actually make anything. They contract out with well known manufacturers in various categories, but they do offer a coherent vision.

I think that kiya's point was that they don't make their own chocolate but buy it as raw material and add to nuts, spices, etc... to make bonbons, pralines, etc... what we generally call "chocolates" (plural). Clearly, Marcolini and Vosges manufacture their product, they don't just design and market.

Not that I disagree with your point - which is valid - but I think he was more focused on the chocolate (singular) making process in his comment.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Milka
smile.gif

I'd rather have Nutella than any of this fancy-pants chocolate any day.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I think that kiya's point was that they don't make their own chocolate but buy it as raw material and add to nuts, spices, etc... to make bonbons, pralines, etc... what we generally call "chocolates" (plural). Clearly, Marcolini and Vosges manufacture their product, they don't just design and market.

Not that I disagree with your point - which is valid - but I think he was more focused on the chocolate (singular) making process in his comment.

Yes, that's exactly what i meant.. and for the record Vosges and Marcolini don't make any chocolate either. They simply buy chocolate in bulk and mix in nuts, salts, or spices then package it.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Yes, that's exactly what i meant.. and for the record Vosges and Marcolini don't make any chocolate either. They simply buy chocolate in bulk and mix in nuts, salts, or spices then package it.

Do you know of any chocolate-making-companies they use?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably buy Callebaut or Valrhona or some other high-end bulk chocolate maker

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya

I know - what I meant is that they manufacture the bonbons and pralines (even if they don't make the chocolate base), unlike the examples of Paul Stuart or Domenico Vacca who are in the business of designing, sourcing, marketing and retailing products that they don't make or transform.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
there is a place around the corner from my house that is a 30 year old artisan shop - the origional owner spent a few years in Belgium studying chocolate making and they turn out some very good stuff. I agree that the really good stuff usually comes out of places like that - a small shop of a handful of fanatics.
I love that place, too. I really like the Vosges Black Pearl Bar, but my go to chocolate is Michel Cluizel bars. I stopped into the boutique on 5th Ave recently and had some delicious pralines etc. Maison du Chocolat is also very reliable. For cooking, I always go with Callebaut or Valhrona. I am looking forward to Payard restarting his business. I find his chocolates restrained but intense, and the macarons were just outstanding. What's the collective wisdom on Teuscher? They arrive here in Phila every 10-14 days. I time my visits to the shop accordingly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I know - what I meant is that they manufacture the bonbons and pralines (even if they don't make the chocolate base), unlike the examples of Paul Stuart or Domenico Vacca who are in the business of designing, sourcing, marketing and retailing products that they don't make or transform.

So, more like Wings+Horns, who buy Dayton boots, and then hand-age them in-house? Yeah, I can see that this would be a more appropriate analogy. My point is that the finished product is ultimately what we ought to consider.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads