• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being ostracized at work

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't really read this thread, but I guess I am a bit of an outsider at work. There are a few reasons for this, number one I have zero in common with the people who I work with. Number two, I am no nonsense at work and pretty serious. I think I come across as intimidating to some people. While a lot of people go out to eat with each other and have their cliques I am never a part of it. I am probably more "friends" with my boss than anybody else. While all of this could be bad, I think the fact that I am a high achiever and a good worker and decision maker makes it work for me very well. Some people need to be friends with their coworkers, but honestly I would kind of hate it. I like wearing a different hat with my friends and my coworkers.

This pretty much describes me. Hasn't hurt my career at all.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by grimslade
It's natural for us to sympathize with the OP, but I had something of the same reaction. I think he needs to at least consider the possibility that, as the new guy and "go-getter," he's alienating his colleagues in ways he doesn't intend. Maybe that's wrong and they're all just losers, but the odds seem to cut the other way. I'd find the person in your group that seems least hostile to you and take him/her to lunch. Sit down and say, "Look, I'm the new guy, and I feel like I'm missing something. If I've done something to piss everyone off, I'd really like to know about it so I can change my ways." Maybe you'll learn something important. Maybe you'll learn that your perception is right and everyone is just jealous of you, or maybe no one will tell you why they don't like you, but you can hardly be worse off for trying to get to the bottom of it.
I took my guy out 3 times and had a talk with him about it, and he dramatically improved - his work is jsut as good, he just causes me a great deal less conflict
Five years later, did this story have a happy ending?

imunique

Reaction score
Where do you work? At my last place I was around customers so if I told anybody to **** off I got shouted at as well (although the few times when I did the other person got told off as well), now I work in logistics and well away from any customers they don't know if I tell people to **** off or not or when we are unprofessional.
Cubicle.

dmwalking

Reaction score
Better to have a good working relationship with your sups than your co workers. We can't give much insight without being there to witness the dynamic, but just keep doing your job well and it will pay off. Besides, in my opinion, work relationships are overrated.

DextersMorgan

Reaction score
Imagine how I was treated by my coworkers when I told them the truth about Dexter Morgan.

Some cried BS.
Some even started working out so they can appear stronger than me if I ever feel the need to kill or so they think like that. One guy is now paranoid of me and he is benching all the time at work trying to see if I feel intimidated by his size LOLOL!!!

If anything I made better friends with the company security guards and the off duty police officers which some are also psychologists and they totally support me and believe me and my story about Dexter Morgan.

I used to be part of those groups that shun other people but the whole time being part of that group it felt so ... trying to find the words as they escape me but it did not feel right.

DextersMorgan

Reaction score
I haven't really read this thread, but I guess I am a bit of an outsider at work. There are a few reasons for this, number one I have zero in common with the people who I work with. Number two, I am no nonsense at work and pretty serious. I think I come across as intimidating to some people. While a lot of people go out to eat with each other and have their cliques I am never a part of it. I am probably more "friends" with my boss than anybody else. While all of this could be bad, I think the fact that I am a high achiever and a good worker and decision maker makes it work for me very well. Some people need to be friends with their coworkers, but honestly I would kind of hate it. I like wearing a different hat with my friends and my coworkers.

I have a co worker who is like this: He used to be in jail and I can tell from who he looks at people that he is constantly sizing up people. He did confess that he always has to resize me as he can never figure me out.

LOL! I told him I do that on purpose.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheese Is For King Christ.

There are jobs you love doing and job which are just jobs. Either way, if the job becomes about you, get another job.

Meanwhile you can work from comfort of your home,on your computer and you can work with your own working hours. You can work this job as a part time or as a full time job. You can earn from 70$ an hour to 950$ a day stuffing envelopes on the Internet!!! There are no limitations, it all depends from you and how much you want to earn each day.

To find out more, click here.

DextersMorgan

Reaction score
Cheese Is For King Christ.

There are jobs you love doing and job which are just jobs. Either way, if the job becomes about you, get another job.

Meanwhile you can work from comfort of your home,on your computer and you can work with your own working hours. You can work this job as a part time or as a full time job. You can earn from 70$ an hour to 950$ a day stuffing envelopes on the Internet!!! There are no limitations, it all depends from you and how much you want to earn each day.

To find out more, click here.
I did that as a teen in the 1980's

It was crap pay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads