• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Toronto Now Open! With Black Fleece!

Sean Archer

Reaction score
They only let me try on sizing shirts not an actual shirt and one woman was convinced a regular shirt was Golden Fleece and has MOP buttons when it was clearly plastic buttons and didn't say Golden Fleece on the neck tag.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sean Archer
They only let me try on sizing shirts not an actual shirt and one woman was convinced a regular shirt was Golden Fleece and has MOP buttons when it was clearly plastic buttons and didn't say Golden Fleece on the neck tag.

**** 'em, that's just lazyness and trying to avoid possibly having to refold and pin shirts. In contrast, the SA at BB on Madison unpinned 3 shirts for me so I could try their fits while trying on the actual shirts I was looking to purchase.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jaredg
Stopped by the new Brooks Brothers in Toronto, the first in Canada, this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see they had most of this season's Black Fleece suits, shirts etc.

All the other Brooks stuff is still there. The price point feels 20% higher than in the states, but its nice to know its there.

Staff seem new and not very familiar with the product but are eager to please.

You can thank the 20% price spread on a Federal tariff/duty on clothing, I am not happy about it either but c'est la vie.

I stopped by today briefly on the way to Union Station to catch the GO Train home. I love the selection, the staff is eager the please and their product knowledge will come with time.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 20% higher that means BF is around $2400 bucks canadian, it will be interesting to see how it does at sale time.

I really do wonder if the BF crowed will make their way down to deserted Bay Street on Saturday to buy suits, rather than hanging around Yorkville for the day.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question, I thought Brooks Brothers would have their first location up in Yorkville. I think at this point they would be a "Destination" retailer. I would come in on the GO train from Oakville to shop on Saturday because I would have more time.

If Brooks Brothers down the road if they have success with their retail beach-head and expand to say Bloor-Yorkville, Yorkdale and Sherway Gardens then you will see a dropoff in weekend traffic but they have not been open on a weekend yet so give it time.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Medtech71
I know you guys in toronto think you are canada, but I am pretty sure the one in Vancouver was the first BB in Canada.

I thought Vancouver didn't carry Black Fleece.

I went by the first day and shamelessly I haven't been in the store yet. I'm tapped out completely so I didn't venture in.

But they would have to open Saturday to compete with Harry's in First Canadian Place, which is also open Saturday. Heck, even Robert Jones opens Saturday outside of the summer.

So psyched I didn't fly 5 hours to see Brooks Brothers in Vancouver.

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
You can thank the 20% price spread on a Federal tariff/duty on clothing, I am not happy about it either but c'est la vie.

Even for Made in US stuff?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went in and purchased something small.

The prices on the BF weren't as bad as I thought. $190 for shirts, ties and polos. $1800 for regular suits. $2500 for some other higher end suits. The Fitzgerald suits were about $1300.

I think at 30-40% off sale time the BF suits might not be a bad deal, if I can get over wearing a jacket that short.

phildo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
Glad to hear BB is in T.O. Word has it they plan to open a store on Bloor street eventually.

I read that this fell through because of the economy. Maybe in the distant future?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo

I went by the first day and shamelessly I haven't been in the store yet. I'm tapped out completely so I didn't venture in.

But they would have to open Saturday to compete with Harry's in First Canadian Place, which is also open Saturday. Heck, even Robert Jones opens Saturday outside of the summer.

So psyched I didn't fly 5 hours to see Brooks Brothers in Vancouver.

Vancouver will carry Black fleece next week according to the salespeople.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo

But you have a new BF suit to show off!
devil.gif

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Article
Iconic American menswear retailer Brooks Brothers opened its first Toronto store on Wednesday.

The 22,000 ft. store opened in the Royal Bank Plaza, the heart of the city's financial district.

While mall traffic attracts casual customers, Brooks Brothers chairman and CEO Claudio Del Vecchio said Brooks Brother customers often work in the financial industry and want easy access to upper-end suits and work wear.

Del Vecchio said the brand has traditionally occupied space in financial sectors, dating back to its first store in Manhattan, which was just north of the city's financial district in 1818.

Once established in Canada, Brooks Brothers will seek out additional retail space in malls and other shopping destinations, he said. For now, financial districts and downtown stores in urban centres are its priority.

Brooks Brothers opened a store in Vancouver in May and plans to open in Calgary's CrossIron Mills mall in Calgary in mid-2010.

Del Vecchio said the company chose Vancouver for its first store to take advantage of the 2010 Olympics.

To open new stores, Brooks Brothers typically purchases newspaper ads announcing the opening, and sends out invitations to its database of online customers and local media.

Rather than developing large ad campaigns, Del Vecchio said the company strives to deliver an in-store experience that creates word-of-mouth.

"The people who come in the door and buy suits today, if they are happy, they'll bring in 10 more shoppers," he said.

Article link: http://www.marketingmag.ca/english/n...7_170706_12840

Well I hope this all works out for BB. I'll have to visit the shoes sometime this week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads