• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders Rumor.. (don't worry, they're still alive)

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jskidder
the difference is that steven alan is garbage and the shirts fit like a tent. i could fit 2 of me in a steven alan xs. the fabrics are inferior and they are not tailored at all. huge difference.

Yes, this is true, although I wouldn't express myself so vitriolically. I had heard that the fit on Steve Alan shirts were comparable to that of Band of Outsiders shirts, but it's simply not true. And at around $175 or so retail, Steve Alan shirts aren't exactly cheap, either.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jskidder
the difference is that steven alan is garbage and the shirts fit like a tent. i could fit 2 of me in a steven alan xs. the fabrics are inferior and they are not tailored at all. huge difference.

Fit is subjective. I respectfully disagree about the quality and I believe that we may have different definitions of the word "huge."

This wasn't intended to be a which-brand-do-you-like-more call to action, more so a "Stop making yourself look foolish by defending a brand like it was your boyfriend because the Made In the USA argument doesn't hold water."

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
Fit is subjective. I respectfully disagree about the quality and I believe that we may have different definitions of the word "huge."

This wasn't intended to be a which-brand-do-you-like-more call to action, more so a "Stop making yourself look foolish by defending a brand like it was your boyfriend because the Made In the USA argument doesn't hold water."

quality of materials is not though

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WoW heated discussion. I just picked up 3 BoO shirts on disccount. I own Jcrew/Unqilo/Steven Alan/Obedient Sons (RIP). By far the BoO shirt is the best fitting slim shirt. It does feel tailored. I can tuck in my shirt without having the back look puffy. All in all I am very pleased with the FIT of the garment. Would I pay retail? Hell no. But on discount I think its a good buy for somebody who wants their shirts to fit slim.

bsyde82

Reaction score
I like BoO...even though I don't even own a single shirt of theirs...unfortunately, they don't fit me that great...a medium is a tad too tight in the chest (although, if on sale, i might cop one) and a large is too, well, large. I also don't like the really curved hem and the look of darts. However, I find many of their colors, materials and patterns to be interesting and unique...so you can't really tailor the **** out of a j.crew shirt and make it just like BoO b/c J.crew or (insert other cheaper brand) don't make shirts that come in the same patterns. Also, I love BoO's small chest pocket...something that I haven't seen on any other shirt.

and re: Steven Alan, the comments about it fitting like a tent is a gross overexaggeration unless you are supremely skinny. it's not BoO slim of course, but it's slimmer than the average shirt imo. although, I have noticed that the SA shirts fit differently (worse) now that they're no longer made in the US.

but SA and BoO convey two fairly distinct aesthetics anyways imo

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
SA shirts retail at about $170-180 (on their website too) and BoO retails start at about $200-215. I think people think SA is cheaper because it's always on sale. Steven Alan shirts don't really fit much different than jcrew shirts from what i've tried on. If the people who dislike expensive clothes want a jcrew but more money clone, i'd definitely say steven alan. Then again, i don't like their shirt cuts, materials or most of the styling so i wouldn't buy unless it was like $50.

sup, landho. how bout dem magic?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
The problem with this is you can't be sure of the fit of the clothes / quality of the construction. Also, I may be wrong but I imagine it would be very difficult to return any ill-fitting / ****** clothes.. Plus BoO has some brand cache, even though many of you pretend this doesn't matter, I'm sure it impacts your decison making at least a little bit.
Just go to a store and try them on? I guess if you're blind ordering online that's true, but I think if you know your chest the rest is pretty much set. The bottom line cause here is that it's cotton fabric, it costs like a cent for a square kilometer, but some people like to justify paying $300 for it.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Just go to a store and try them on? I guess if you're blind ordering online that's true, but I think if you know your chest the rest is pretty much set.
The bottom line cause here is that it's cotton fabric, it costs like a cent for a square kilometer, but some people like to justify paying $300 for it.

uh the only boo shirts that cost that much are sea island cotton

boo oxfords retail for $190.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
okay, $190-$300 for fabric.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Slim dark jeans are a dime a dozen these days since it's been "in" mainstream wise for the past year. Yet people still buy expensive ass jeans. So selvage denim is $250-300 just for a bit better denim and a selvage line (which means absolutely nothing)? Last i heard, people had problems with nudies ripping, skulls losing stitching, apcs having button problems, other jeans getting occasional holes, etc.... I don't see a problem with people wanting to buy more expensive jeans even though you can get cheaper ones tailored a bit too.

Just sayin. It all boils down to some people being opposed to paying certain amounts on items of clothing. That price resistence thread has it all in there. Some people are willing to pay $300 for jeans, but only $200 for dress shoes, or $500 for shoes/boots and only $100 for jeans, or $100 for sweaters. Some people have different prices they're comfortable with.

On a side note/warning, my filippa k button up is pretty **** ass for materials. The fit is alright (better than most stuff but could be a bit better because i'm picky), but if most of the shirts are like this, i definitely wouldn't recommend at retail or until it reaches the 2nd level of sales because of the cheap feel to it.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^ but a lot of guys just like being able to buy a shirt that already exists, appeals to him, and he knows it will fit

I've ordered many shirts from Jantzen but I always feel it's hit/miss on whether I get it, or whether it comes out right and nowadays just prefer to see a shirt I like then buy it rather than have it made

Originally Posted by whodini
Exactly.

I've gone into Jantzen with the idea that they're giving me the measurements and buttons I want with the rationale that I'd be getting four BoO or Agnes B shirts for the price one. That's really ******* naive.

I'm sure people will chime in with their own anecdotes but MTM **** like that is going to inherently be hit or miss. Why? I've never been completely satisfied with the fabric (if even remotely at all), there's always guesswork as to how much your shirt will shrink in the wash because of all the different fabrics, and even with the exact measurements you give you're still relying on them to interpret the shirt for you.

Bottom line is I feel like I've wasted money on an inferior product when I could have just bought something OTR and wouldn't have to second-guess a damn thing. Quality>Quantity.

Ok, this may save me some hassle of dealing with MTM. So you two are basically saying that MTM isn't worth it? It's better to just fork out the dough for stuff off the rack that fits well?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just got my boz partner 2 on revolve for @$60 each. they have a sample sale here twice a year. i'll keep you posted. they are by far my favorite mid-grade brand.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
kunk- Speaking of filippak, have you seen any stores with their button ups for cheap? I want that light blue one gilt was selling (not in my size of course) and i know you're into filippak. Filippak retail prices are pretty high as well and their button ups are definitely not as nice material and fit wise. I still like the filippak shirt that i have right now, but then again, i got it for $50 used.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Teger
kunk some of us are content to buy clothes that fit, not jam ourselves in to raf simons
biggrin.gif
also, to be fair, I never buy BOO for full price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads