• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-movies: secret indulgences and cinematical equivalents of disco balls....

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
There's so many good "b movies" from the highbrow (Touch of evil) to the lowbrow (Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD). Of course what I define as a B movie might be different than what you define as a b movie.

2000dB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Russ Meyer movies.
There was also some strange Japanese movies..."Iron Mam" -about some guy that mutilates women with his mechanical penis,

Also, "The Suicide Club" ...

The japanese movie you're refering to is called Tetsuo (the iron man) and it's seriously a disturbing and excellent movie. The movie is not based around a man mutilating women with *********, but does indeed drill a girl while ********** at some point, it's quite a weird scene. You should also check out the sequel and in the same genre (man vs. machine) you should check out Meatball Machine. It's a lot easier to watch, but it's also a lot less captivating... still good though.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm sure there are a whole bunch of martial arts B-movies, but i'd have to vote for my favortie, Master of the Flying Guillotine.

-Jeff

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2000dB
The japanese movie you're refering to is called Tetsuo (the iron man) and it's seriously a disturbing and excellent movie. The movie is not based around a man mutilating women with *********, but does indeed drill a girl while ********** at some point, it's quite a weird scene. You should also check out the sequel and in the same genre (man vs. machine) you should check out Meatball Machine. It's a lot easier to watch, but it's also a lot less captivating... still good though.

Tsukamoto's films are generally excellent (well, Hiruko is ok but not stellar, as is Bullet Ballet...).
Will look for Meatball Machine.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Has anyone seen The Apple? I saw a bit of it long ago and it aroused my curiosity. Apparently, it's such a collosal train wreck it has something of a cult following.

Everyone I know who likes this movie is very, very. very gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tokyo Slim hit most of mine (no big surprise there), but I'd add:

- Return of the Living Dead

- From Dusk 'til Dawn (so many reviewers didn't get that this was supposed to be a B movie - of course, you still have to put up with the Tarantino ego)

- El Mariachi

- Bubba Ho-Tep (by reputation only; I've yet to see it)

- I'd imagine the Evil Dead films would qualify here (at least the first one)

I'm sure I'm forgetting many.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not consider this one a B-movie per se, but its story is a wee bit trite. But otherwise good writing, acting and decent effects!

dogsoldiersbu1.jpg

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely forgot Mad Max and The Road Warrior (before Mel Gibson was famous...or openly anti-semitic).

Word on the street is that the Toe Cutter and the Humongous weren't actually evil - they were just Jewish.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I completely forgot Mad Max and The Road Warrior (before Mel Gibson was famous...or openly anti-semitic). Word on the street is that the Toe Cutter and the Humongous weren't actually evil - they were just Jewish.
smile.gif

I'm sorry, but the 3 best best Australian movies in order of greatness are 1: Chopper 2: Reckless Kelly 3: Howling III; The Marsupials Road Warrior was ok though...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'm sorry, but the 3 best best Australian movies in order of greatness are

1: Chopper
2: Reckless Kelly
3: Howling III; The Marsupials

Road Warrior was ok though...

Always meant to see Chopper, but never got around to it. A newer one from Australia is The Proposition (the Nick Cave movie - not sure if it's really a B movie). Haven't gotten around to that one yet, either, but it received some really good reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads