• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-movies: secret indulgences and cinematical equivalents of disco balls....

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ha... those silly Swedes!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I would not consider this one a B-movie per se, but its story is a wee bit trite. But otherwise good writing, acting and decent effects!

"Come get some if you think you're hard enough!!" Dog Soldiers is fun

BTW I'm watching "They live" and I think it qualifies as a good b-movie (only seen 30 min, used to be on TV a lot, don't remember seeing it though)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
i'm sure there are a whole bunch of martial arts B-movies, but i'd have to vote for my favortie, Master of the Flying Guillotine.

-Jeff

This movie rules, my favorite moment is when the old master (the bad guy) learns his student was killed, decides to go avenge him and before going, destroys his own house for no reason whatsoever. I saw this in a movie theater and the ambience was fantastic.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ValleyOfTheDolls.jpg

Another, must see . . .

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right Tokyo, Kurt Russell and John Carpenter joked about that on the commentary. People didn't seem to get that the hero and sidekick roles were reversed also. Hell, when I first saw the movie I didn't catch that either, but I still thought it was fresh and hilarious...then and even now. Of course, I realized that Jack Burton was the hero, and a complete dumbass...but it never hit me Wang was actually the hero role.

I guess it all depends on what you consider a "b" movie. Big Trouble In Little China was widely panned on release, and dropped from most theaters in less than two weeks. So basically, any success its had is because of home video and word of mouth.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Right Tokyo, Kurt Russell and John Carpenter joked about that on the commentary. People didn't seem to get that the hero and sidekick roles were reversed also. Hell, when I first saw the movie I didn't catch that either, but I still thought it was fresh and hilarious...then and even now. Of course, I realized that Jack Burton was the hero, and a complete dumbass...but it never hit me Wang was actually the hero role.
Yeah, the movie is a purposeful hash-up of all the Campbell stereotypes. To be honest, the character arcs for Burton and Wang are sort of confusing, and the first time I watched it (as an adult) I didn't really realize that Burton has no actual motivation and is "merely along for the ride" until the final scene at the Dragon Of The Black Pool when he just leaves Gracie Law haging. He wasn't involved to rescue her, he was involved to help Wang rescue Miao Yin. His character arc is practically a flatline, he doesn't better himself, his situation, or grow/change as a person at all during the course of the movie, a sure sign that the hero is somewhere else. I love John Carpenter.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
ok. tetuso rules.

but wru HELL COMES TO FROGTOWN?? tell me someone else enjoys this movie.

smile.gif

I'm down with Any Rowdy Roddy Piper movie, HCTF is good, but not as good as THEY LIVE!

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'm down with Any Rowdy Roddy Piper movie, HCTF is good, but not as good as THEY LIVE!

oh, you know it. i just didn't want to leave it out of this list.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads