• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How slim are they? I prefer linen trousers a little looser than wool, mostly to let them breath a bit better but it has the added effect of not wrinkling as much.

They aren't really slim, size wise I feel they fit nicely but going off the creases may need to get the crotch let out some.

Always let the crotch out at every opportunity.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of bringing up the great topy debate Ive discovered a small hole in my C&J Hallams and besides being a bit cranky I'm not really sure what to do.

I've emailed double monk for pricing re repairs. I guess I just want to know what my options are. I could always take them to Coombs in the strand for a new sole.

Thoughts?

Imo, once you've worn a hole in the sole, you need to resole, and in doing so replace the filler in-between while doing so. Have seen a few shoes topied once holes have been worn in, and the cork rots away inside. Would have been fine to topy with a thin sole, sans hole, but I'd strongly suggest replacing the sole before doing anything else.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swung past my tailor(Sam in Docklands) to pickup my Barbour Liddesdale(quilted jacket) from him. Had the sleeves shortened and slimmed, as well as the body slimmed, came out extremely well, and I am quite pleased with it now. When it arrived I was indecisive as to whether or not I should keep it.

I also took my SEH Kelly reversible corduroy overshirt too him which I received a couple of weeks ago, which is a little too big all over. He advised me that yes he could take my money and try and fix it, but due to the nature of the jacket, it wouldn't come out nice at all, and would be quite costly. To me, this is the difference between a good tailor, and one who isn't. I'm sure Katrina's and a few other places would have taken my money, but I doubt any of them would have made me happy with it. Back to London it goes.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
Did anyone manage to find out the difference in the crown height at the front of Panama Bob's Cuencano and Caballero? Can you lower the crown with steam like a fur? It might be tricky if the front pinch is in tight.

I'll message him if not.

lukejackson

Reaction score
That's a pity @Foxhound , awesome overshirt/jacket. i guess the raglan sleeves make altering it difficult.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score

Imo, once you've worn a hole in the sole, you need to resole, and in doing so replace the filler in-between while doing so. Have seen a few shoes topied once holes have been worn in, and the cork rots away inside. Would have been fine to topy with a thin sole, sans hole, but I'd strongly suggest replacing the sole before doing anything else.

I don't think Coomb's or Brice's can replace the cork. They can do a leather half/full sole over the old cork. They may recommend instead of topy to remove the cork and do a rubber half sole, think a very thick topy. They may also be able to carve a leather outsole thicker so it replaces the cork's function. Tbh, I believe this problem is more to do with the nature of the GW than the cobbler's skill. They probably deal with this successfully all the time.

Last edited:

Joshgtv

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting, greetings fellow Aussies.

For shoes at that price point I've been very happy with both Loding and Meermin. Both are Goodyear-welted and far superior to Florsheim.

In my experience the shoe guys at Chifley Tower are the best in Sydney. The fact that all the designer boutiques use them also says good things. Highly skilled, completely reliable, no more expensive than my local amateurs (northern beaches).

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love threads which are tailor-made for me.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any camera buffs here using the Fujifilm XT-1 or the Sony DSC-RX100 III?

Thoughts?

(I know they are two completely different types of camera.)

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience the shoe guys at Chifley Tower are the best in Sydney. The fact that all the designer boutiques use them also says good things. Highly skilled, completely reliable, no more expensive than my local amateurs (northern beaches).

Welcome Josh.

Are you referring to a shoe repair shop at Chifley Tower? I know there's one up on the 1st floor, same level as all the food stalls. Is it that one, or another one I don't know about?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

A cream/beige jacket would go well with what pants? Light grey? Navy?

Thoughts? Comments? Examples?

I get alot of use out of the light beige jacket from my linen suit

Match with navy, RAF, denim, other shades of beige, mid and light greys.

Re creasing what type of linen is it? Light weight Italian linens will crumple to all hell and Irish linens tend to be too heavy. Check out some Belgium linen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads