• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Malaysia on Monday. Pretty excited: definitely going to enjoy eating.

Hitting up KL and Penang - any must dos??? So far just hitting up Muji, Uniqlo, Islamic Arts Museum, GeorgeTown, a beach or two, food stalls, food malls, food markets, Jeffry Yong guitars, anything else?

lennier

Reaction score

Heading to Malaysia on Monday. Pretty excited: definitely going to enjoy eating.

Hitting up KL and Penang - any must dos??? So far just hitting up Muji, Uniqlo, Islamic Arts Museum, GeorgeTown, a beach or two, food stalls, food malls, food markets, Jeffry Yong guitars, anything else?

I see Jeffrey Yong has a guitar building course very similar to the one I did at Carson Crickmore. Nice looking guitars.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see Jeffrey Yong has a guitar building course very similar to the one I did at Carson Crickmore. Nice looking guitars.

Yes he does. I've never played one in person although I've heard good reviews of his monkeypod guitar. I'll have to schedule a visit the next time I'm back.

What model did you build with Phil?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn a black knit with white shirts, solid blue shirts, striped blue shirts, navy suits, mid gray suits, sharkskin suits etc.

Basically, worn it with almost all my shirts and suits; it is Impossibly versatile.

The only proviso is: black shoes only.

Maybe a pair of black brogues like the C&J Clifford, which is my go to.

lennier

Reaction score

Yes he does. I've never played one in person although I've heard good reviews of his monkeypod guitar. I'll have to schedule a visit the next time I'm back.

What model did you build with Phil?

Just a standard 6 string acoustic, he basically only offered that and a classical at the time I did it, with the possibility of minor customisations to the design. In my case all I did was use matching (rather than contrasting) timber bindings and no rosette, so that the result looked really plain and minimalist. Oh and added a piezo pickup in the bridge. Came out very nicely.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In KL, check out Central Market by day, Petaling St at night and if you can, go to Batu Caves and climb the hill.

IN Penang, check out the street art in Georgetown and the Buddhist temples on Burma Road. Food-wise, Gurney Drive is pretty good. If you can, pay a visit to Kek Seng Cafe - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...eng_Cafe-Georgetown_Penang_Island_Penang.html and maybe the E&O Hotel for some nice old world architecture.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't been to Malaysia for many years, so take this with a pinch of salt.

To add to what GN said, I'd also suggest:

In KL: the Museum Negara (National Museum) - see the amok catcher; Little India and the Sri Mahamariamman temple (oldest Hindi temple in Malaysia, from memory); Sultan Abdul Samad building (great architecture); Chinatown (good evening street markets); Petronas Towers; and the old KL train station (more great architecture).

In Penang: the Peranakan (Straits Chinese) museum; the Khoo Kongsi (old Chinese clan house); catch the funicular railway up Penang Hill (not as good as the Peak in HK, but still nice views back to the mainland and over Georgetown); and if you can swing it and don't already have accommodation organised, spend a night or two in the Eastern & Oriental Hotel, or just have a meal there and soak up the colonial feeling. The E&O is one of three SE Asian hotels built by the Armenian Sarkies brothers - the other two are the (horrendously expensive) Raffles Hotel in Singapore and the Strand in Yangon in Burma. I suspect that the E&O is by far the cheapest of the three - it's certainly much cheaper than Raffles and has a lovely aspect, with a manicured lawn running down to the waterfront.

There's also a tall building in Penang, built over a shopping mall, which has a viewing gallery on the 60th floor. It has nice views but it was already pretty shabby back in the 1990s and I suspect that it's even shabbier now. Good for the viewing gallery but not for anything else.

My main memories of Penang are good street food, particularly at night, and walking around the old parts of town, past turbanned Sikhs holding shotguns guarding jewellery stores and raucous, Chinese-run food markets. It's a great place to stroll around, popping into look at an old Chinese building here, soaking up the street atmosphere there.

Are you going anywhere else in Malaysia? I also really enjoyed Melaka, which is south of KL on the west coast, on the way down to Singapore. The Cameron Highlands were good, although they may have been over-run by tourism now. There were some very picturesque tea plantations there, along with some lovely forests. Ipoh is also a nice old town that you might pass through on the way to Penang (if you catch a bus between KL and Penang, that is).

Have a great trip, and I look forward to seeing some photos on your Tumblr!

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

How about hitting up some girls?

Forget the Malays. Just the Chinese girls. Super-hot, not fat and over-entitled like the Singaporeans, and they speak English!

I've met you, mate. You will pull.

Hang on. Maybe you're married.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's also a tall building in Penang, built over a shopping mall, which has a viewing gallery on the 60th floor. It has nice views but it was already pretty shabby back in the 1990s and I suspect that it's even shabbier now. Good for the viewing gallery but not for anything else.

All very good advice, JM. I expect the building you're referring to is Komtar - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOMTAR

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I've worn a black knit with white shirts, solid blue shirts, striped blue shirts, navy suits, mid gray suits, sharkskin suits etc.

Basically, worn it with almost all my shirts and suits; it is Impossibly versatile.

The only proviso is: black shoes only.

Maybe a pair of black brogues like the C&J Clifford, which is my go to.

I accept your challenge and will be wearing black knit tie and brown shoes in our next encounter lol

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I accept your challenge and will be wearing black knit tie and brown shoes in our next encounter lol

Like this?

tumblr_mtbj1zCBjW1qdfnb5o1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads