• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good results/quality? Remember any pricing?

Found this in my wallet.

I have been happy with the quality and prices (though I am usually putting quite good quality clothes so am happy to spend a bit getting them altered correctly).

The woman has a good eye, understands the results you want (she is reasonably young and of Greek origin, I think) and has a decent turnaround time. Like all alterations places it can be a little brisk and impersonal (tiny changing area).

My main issues with getting alterations, and I sure I am not alone, are -

1. Effort - Finding/making the time to go and then collect
2. Communication - Articulating what I want done/how I want something to look

As always I have a few things I need altered but for a few reasons (time, effort, cost, need) have not got around to sorting.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Counting down till the weekend....

Herringbone Sydney
Cottonwork
Henry Carter Burgundy Grenadine
Meermin MTO
Random Square from Japan

You scrub up well as always Jason. Your meermins and carminas get a bit of a flog too!

What's the etiquette with doing up your second button only as opposed to the top? Also, where can you learn to do more subtle PS folds like the one you've got? I'm over the TV box and scary jesture look.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a 3-roll-2 jacket Oli2012, so the lapel rolls to the middle button naturally. You can, with mediocre results, attempt the same on a 3-button jacket. I wouldn't do that. Most of Herringbone's jackets pre-Van Laack takeover feature 3-roll-2 button fastening, only some feature it since. I prefer it to a regular 2-button as the lapel rolls elegantly and I just think it looks nice.

aussiejake

Reaction score
Found this in my wallet.

I have been happy with the quality and prices (though I am usually putting quite good quality clothes so am happy to spend a bit getting them altered correctly).

The woman has a good eye, understands the results you want (she is reasonably young and of Greek origin, I think) and has a decent turnaround time. Like all alterations places it can be a little brisk and impersonal (tiny changing area).

Great post thank you.

But damn, seems it'll cost near $200 to get my 4 pairs of pants hemmed and tapered. I wonder if MJ Bale will help me out, as they didn't slim them as much as I'd like.

Edit: Scratch that, with a cuff the length is perfect on the pants. It's just the leg opening all the way up the leg is too baggy. I'm guessing it will cost ~$40 per pair to get the whole leg tapered?

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I'm unconvinced that OTR trousers really need tapering...what's wrong with a full lower leg?

aussiejake

Reaction score
^^ I'm unconvinced that OTR trousers really need tapering...what's wrong with a full lower leg?

I'm a very skinny guy. The pants were already tapered slightly by MJ Bale but, looking at them in a different light now, they aren't slim enough. Throws the suits proportions out when the top half is fitted and slim, and the pants aren't. I'll post fit pictures maybe tonight for you guys to judge.

shirtseeking

Reaction score
What are the options for someone in Melbourne who wants tailored or MTM shirts? I'm not sure whether to go local or overseas. Also what are the pricepoints per shirt, roughly. Any recommendations on how to select nice materials?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm very skinny as well, though another factor is that I have big feet, so if my trousers are too skinny I look like a clown :/

Would be good to see pics. So we can judge you.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great post thank you.

But damn, seems it'll cost near $200 to get my 4 pairs of pants hemmed and tapered. I wonder if MJ Bale will help me out, as they didn't slim them as much as I'd like.

Edit: Scratch that, with a cuff the length is perfect on the pants. It's just the leg opening all the way up the leg is too baggy. I'm guessing it will cost ~$40 per pair to get the whole leg tapered?

I know what you mean AussieJake...a taper in the leg can make a difference. I am not exactly a skinny guy but find with jeans esp. the look better with a taper (esp. if you wear with little or no break). I have had some jeans tapered only (ie no other alterations) and do not remember it costing too much.

Might be worth calling or popping in to see what they would charge.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You scrub up well as always Jason. Your meermins and carminas get a bit of a flog too!

What's the etiquette with doing up your second button only as opposed to the top? Also, where can you learn to do more subtle PS folds like the one you've got? I'm over the TV box and scary jesture look.

Cheers, they are definitely my favourite shoes but only really get worn once a week, just mainly on the days I post when I'm suited up. I'm probably tieless/more cas. 2-3 days a week also when I wear suede and derbies more often. I just can't be arsed to post then.

Nothing to learn on my PS folds really, just scrunch it up and shove it in. The key is to not have too much sticking out mainly.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On another note, thanks for the advice offered here apropos. I ended up purchasing myself a Zenith Captain Chrono watch in stainless with a silver face and gold hands. And I'm mighty impressed with it - it's a beautiful watch offering wonderful symmetry (when compared with the Captain Windsor series of watches).

I'm not a fan of the JLC reverso series I saw, so that made the decision somewhat simpler, although there was an IWC Da Vinci perpetual calendar from about 1990 on offer at a second hand dealer in Lt Collins St which tickled my fancy for a small while thinking about the intricacies of the movement, but the styiling was dated enough to rule it out of contention.
what reverso was it? im searching for one in original dimensions rather than the current oversized variety.

Charles Nahkle button-down in Monti pinpont oxford...

Commissioning this shirt reminds me why it's good to have a close working relationship with your tailor.

Couldn't make it down to see him, so I quizzed him over the phone about appropriate fabrics (oxford, sky blue stripes on white). Knowing me well, he picked this one as a fabric I'd probably like. Received the shirt in the mail today.

Love it!
I like the longer collar points on this shirt

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charles Nahkle button-down in Monti pinpont oxford...

Commissioning this shirt reminds me why it's good to have a close working relationship with your tailor.

Couldn't make it down to see him, so I quizzed him over the phone about appropriate fabrics (oxford, sky blue stripes on white). Knowing me well, he picked this one as a fabric I'd probably like. Received the shirt in the mail today.

Love it!
I'm not sold on ties with button downs as a look. Nice shirt though.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of RMs, does anyone here have a suggestion for a pair that are more or less waterproof, e.g. storm welt, rubber sole? Would like to support the Aussies where I can...

Edit: I should add I've looked at the Henly but I'd prefer something with a regular chisel toe or narrow toes rather than the wide toes - they look a bit too bulbous IMO.

Perhaps a better question to ask is if anyone who has experience with MTO knows if you can add a storm welt as a MTO element on, say, a Craftsman...

Dont know about Craftsman but i have a pair of Yardsman that have served me well in wet sideline conditions for quite a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads