• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concur with 1) and Mr Nice Guy can you shout me this time regarding 2).

Seriously, thanks for the compliment TBM.

Very happy with my Kimber boots - a great local choice.

In terms of colour, my first pair of chukka boots were brown suede and they go well with many outfits, so if you are looking for something versatile get those.

Aside from Kimber, C&J have 3 nice models (which I have discussed in detail before), Carmina have a lovely style and others here have Loake and Herring ones that look great.

The bottom line is a chukka boot is a very useful shoe and worth getting. Who knows, maybe you too could look as good as Gerry and me (that first part is the real challenge, I am sure you outdress me already Oli, esp with your large collection of Henry Carter ties).

Haha cheers, I am getting a few!

Looking to sell my RMs and developing a more british shoe wardrobe, then I can take you lot on :)

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score

If you are planning on checking out the Great Barrier Reef, I highly recommend you do this from Cairns. The reef can be accessed from other places in QLD such as Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, etc. However, having previously lived in North Queensland (and in a rival city: Townsville), I feel Cairns offers the best value as you not only can you can visit the reef, but you can also check out the Daintree Rainforest, Atherton/Tabllands. It's quite amazing as you have the reef on one side, and a beautiful rainforest on other. You can take a scenic train up through rainforest up to a small town called Kuranda, and then come back to Cairns via Cable Cars, or vice versa (this is a day trip). In the cable cars, there are stations which you can stop at on the way, and at these places you can learn about forest, walk around and check out scenry and wildlife. Makes for a great day out! Other things do include visiting Tjapukai Aboriginal Culture Park if you are interested in learning about the Australian Indigenous Culture. One of the cool things is learning how to throw a boomerang. You can tour rain forest in army ducks, hot air balloon rides, visit Port Douglas, etc. One last thing, Cairns does have an international and domestic airport; going back to Sydney will be no problem. If you only have one day to spend in North QLD, in my opinion, it doesn't matter too much as to whether you go to Townsville or Cairns. Snorkelling can be arranged, if not you can take a tour on a glass bottom boat or semi-sumbarine (this is a lot better!)

http://www.cairns.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/01/02/train.gif (Train) https://plus.google.com/+SkyrailRainforestCableway/photos?hl=en (Sky Rail, I don't think the pictures do it justice). If you want more info, feel free to PM. I live in Brisbane (QLD) now, which is in South Queensland, and can offer advice if you are planning to visit this region as well. Thanks for the info. My son actually mentioned learning to throw a boomerang and I mentioned that he should learn to play and didgeridoo and learn about the aborigine. I will need to study a map and try to plan according to region given the limited time. I think we will mostly suggest what we would like to do and it will be planned out for us. It could be very interesting as it may be all planned out for us and we just have to show up. Thanks again.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had a tremor ....no wifi connection

Earthquake Information (Earthquake Information)
Issued at 20:57 JST 26 Mar 2013
Occurred at (JST) Latitude
(degree) Longitude
(degree) Depth Magnitude Region Name
20:55 JST 26 Mar 2013 35.9N 141.0E 10 km 4.6 Ibaraki-ken Oki

This earthquake poses no tsunami risk.

How long did the tremors last?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On another note, thanks for the advice offered here apropos. I ended up purchasing myself a Zenith Captain Chrono watch in stainless with a silver face and gold hands. And I'm mighty impressed with it - it's a beautiful watch offering wonderful symmetry (when compared with the Captain Windsor series of watches).

I'm not a fan of the JLC reverso series I saw, so that made the decision somewhat simpler, although there was an IWC Da Vinci perpetual calendar from about 1990 on offer at a second hand dealer in Lt Collins St which tickled my fancy for a small while thinking about the intricacies of the movement, but the styiling was dated enough to rule it out of contention.

Nice choice, got some pics?

http://www.theage.com.au/business/-2gs8f.html

Outback outfitter R.M.Williams, owned by former News Ltd chief Ken Cowley, is believed to be up for sale and could fetch a price of up to $100 million as several local and international fashion brands circle the famous Australian label.

I read the they were selling as they had no one to pass the business on to? I hope it stays local

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has the guy on the bottom left got a lapel pin or did a cherry blossom petal fall on his suit at just the right place?

Probably a lapel pin - they're pretty popular in Japan, either as a sartorial accessory (generally for young men in very skinny suits) or as pins for a company or association, so as to show loyalty to or membership of the organisation.

fxh - I hope that you are having a great time in Japan. You arrived just at the right time, as the cherry blossoms only started blooming in Tokyo a few days ago.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Counting down till the weekend....

Herringbone Sydney
Cottonwork
Henry Carter Burgundy Grenadine
Meermin MTO
Random Square from Japan

aussiejake

Reaction score
Any recommendations from the Melbourne/Victorian boys for a quality tailor for jeans and suit pants without breaking the budget? East/south-east suburbs if possible.

Would like jeans slimmed calf down and hemmed and suit pants slimmed throughout the leg.
Any help with this guys?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Nahkle button-down in Monti pinpont oxford...

Commissioning this shirt reminds me why it's good to have a close working relationship with your tailor.

Couldn't make it down to see him, so I quizzed him over the phone about appropriate fabrics (oxford, sky blue stripes on white). Knowing me well, he picked this one as a fabric I'd probably like. Received the shirt in the mail today.

Love it!

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bettina Liano's recent swipe at Melbourne's shopping culture was the result of her embattled business rather than ''exorbitant'' rents, an agent says.

CBRE associate director Max Cookes confirmed that Ms Liano was evicted from her Melbourne store, but said the premises was leased within a week of her departure for a substantially higher rent.

''We had to change the locks on the boutique at 269 Little Collins Street and put up a notice of re-entry as the tenant was very far behind in their rent,'' Mr Cookes said.

The action prompted Ms Liano, a well-known fashion designer, to retort store rents were too high and the conservative business dress was like a ghost town.
Advertisement

Ms Liano, who has just opened her first international store in New York, said high rents were emptying Melbourne's fashion lanes of everything but ''tumbleweeds''.

Ms Liano has reportedly turned her back on Melbourne for the Big Apple where rents are more affordable and there are ''actual people'' shopping.

But Mr Cookes said there was a lot of interest in Liano's old store. Little Collins Street houses fashion brands such as Scanlan & Theodore, Jigsaw and Spencer & Rutherford. All have recently renewed their leases

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...liano-gibes-20130326-2gs47.html#ixzz2Oh4ryoLe

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.theage.com.au/business/-2gs8f.html

Outback outfitter R.M.Williams, owned by former News Ltd chief Ken Cowley, is believed to be up for sale and could fetch a price of up to $100 million as several local and international fashion brands circle the famous Australian label.
Speaking of RMs, does anyone here have a suggestion for a pair that are more or less waterproof, e.g. storm welt, rubber sole? Would like to support the Aussies where I can...

Edit: I should add I've looked at the Henly but I'd prefer something with a regular chisel toe or narrow toes rather than the wide toes - they look a bit too bulbous IMO.

Perhaps a better question to ask is if anyone who has experience with MTO knows if you can add a storm welt as a MTO element on, say, a Craftsman...

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: There is 20% off at TM Lewin at the moment if anyone wants to pick up a Mac for the rainier weather. Pretty good deal at $285 delivered I think (MJ Bale's, which looks identical, is $500...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads