• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry Lennier, no firsthand knowledge of having a jacket made, though I did look into it about three or four years ago and decided against it for a variety of reasons.

I now own 4 leather jackets. I'd actually like to sell one, if anyone here is interested. It's a Ralph Lauren A-2 Bomber Jacket in brown, size M.

I have worn this two or three times and its a fraction too tight. If anyone's interested, PM me.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KUH-NIG-ETS

On a completely different note - leather jackets.

I've never really had a good, well fitting leather jacket and have wanted one for a long time. Last time I got interested in looking around again I came across the NZ mob Magnoli, who do custom jackets and also reproductions of ones featured in films. Whilst this sounds potentially hokey, a bit of searching seems to indicate that they are reasonably well thought of in terms of quality, including on some SF threads (admittedly from a while back).

The idea of getting MTM is appealing now that I've been down that path with other garments and the risk seems more manageable. Anybody had experience with Magnoli that would like to comment?
Go check out superfuture for a bit they have a lot of denim/leather/workwear enthusiasts and there's probably a few great threads there; i generally tend to read as there's a wealth of info there just not post as I don't think I could cope with being on 2 forums :)

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pagers back, someone posted a great simple step by step shoe shine tutorial.

Anyone have a link/quote?

Ta

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KUH-NIG-ETS

Go check out superfuture for a bit they have a lot of denim/leather/workwear enthusiasts and there's probably a few great threads there; i generally tend to read as there's a wealth of info there just not post as I don't think I could cope with being on 2 forums :)

Theres a thread called the Temple of Jawnz or TOJ thread, the brand is now called "John Coppidge". It's all you need for leather.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I always say Raw Denim is for Graphic Designers (ie people who can wear them everyday). Been through a few pairs and just got the ***** with them breaking in.

Eventually found by chance a pair of G-Star Raw, that they say are Raw but are somehow much much softer and don't need breaking in, nor did they stretch like crap. They do have the same look as your typical dark, stiff RD does though. Best jeans I've ever bought and no bells and whistles like most of the other awful G-stars. I must say I don't wash them all that much either, probably once every month or 2, unless they get stained.

No offence to any Graphic Designers that may be among us

There is some gstar raw atelier in Melbourne that does customised raw gstar jeans.. I wouldn't mind giving them s shot

I am also doing the same with my Strike Gold 2109. 

I am far from a denim fanboy. Personally, I find the breaking in period and the blue dye to be a bit of a biatch.  Plus I dont get to wear them much.

BUT....

The beauty is in the details. The stitching, the rivets, the leather patch, the roped belt loops, the selvage edge, the method used for dye-ing, the evolution/fading of colors after washing, etc. And once broken in, it is buttery soft and fits like a second skin.

Not much difference to suits and details eg peak/notch lapel, pick stitching, canvas, working cuffs, barchetta pockets, neapolitan falls, MOP/horn buttons, etc. Who really notices them apart from another connoisseur?

Yeah all the decent denim with good features and quality are raw.. I'd be keen on RRL but no idea where to buy them

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sheesh, details! I think my first post got swallowed, so I'll try again ;) Newly moved to Melbourne, working in IT although it's technical pre sales so I'm customer facing. Need to dress professionally but not to the same standards as a "professional". When I do have to speak at the odd conference I'll need to step it up. Basically I need to build a new wardrobe out for the role, and have remained quite unaware good dress sense until recently. I like the idea of starting with a conservative wardrobe which gives me some staples to build around. If I can add a nice sports jacket to my existing pants, I'll get some breathing space to build out a proper (ish) wardrobe. I'm putting aside $1000 p/m to hopefully build out something decent over the coming year. Currently a 42R, back on the bike and hoping to lose the slight beer gut which has appeared over the last six months of being deskbound (or lazy).
Hi Grant, welcome. The IT presales area has become a bit strange. Firms like IBM now go tie-less, and I find basic suit and tie is becoming unusual enough to be remarked upon when sales guys do wear it. Much depends on the market you're selling into. The health providers I worked with were all biz caz (at best) and many asked me why I dressed up for meetings with them. That said, I'm not sure that sports coat and odd trousers would be considered OK if selling into banks etc. Suit without tie would not be remarked on, but the former might. You would know best what your market expects. If you do go for a sports coat, the place I would start is Azzarro, where I've bought quality sports coats for 200-400. Might as well try OTR to see what you can get before paying for MTM. Ken Barrell can also be a pleasant surprise; I found a solid navy Italian SC there for $200 - half canvas with surgeon's sleeves. Good luck, and hopefully you can help us with our rearguard action against the IT industry's decline in dress standards.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Raw denim hygiene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads