• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure do.. worn them for 2 years on medium rotation but blew the crotch out, need to send them down to right hand distribution for repair

Mikhail Zenon should be able to help you out in Sydney

streetminimal

Reaction score
Just an FYI on Mikhail Zennon, I got quoted $80 for the following:

Repair of a small crotch blow out and reinforcing the tearing areas around the crotch
Chain stitch hemming

AND you have to pay for postage to get them there and back. Seriously expensive, regardless of 'craftsmanship'.

I ended up dropping my jeans off at UpThereStore instead, and they did it all for free cause they were doing trials of the service at the time plus it took them over the quoted two weeks.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High Prices in Australia. Paying through the Nose Compared to UK

March 19, 2013 Kate Hagan

Cocaine is a ''luxury'' product in Australia, with users paying as much as four times for the drug as those in Britain, a global drug survey finds.

The survey, conducted in Australia this year in partnership with Fairfax Media, found that about 20 per cent of the 6600 Australian respondents had used cocaine in the past year, and 45 per cent had taken it in their lifetime.

The respondents were mostly from Sydney and Melbourne, and more than half had tertiary qualifications. About 65 per cent earned above-average incomes, with a quarter earning more than $100,000 a year.

Cocaine was the most popular choice for those trying a drug for the first time, and users paid about $300 a gram.

Survey founder and psychiatrist Adam Winstock said that was four times the price paid in Britain, where cocaine was typically $75 a gram. As a result, Australian users took a smaller amount of cocaine per session than their British peers.

Half of Australian cocaine users were offered ''luxury cocaine'', for between $400 and $450 a gram, with the promise it was of better quality. Almost all of those who tried it agreed.

Those surveyed ranked cocaine as offering the poorest value for money of all commonly used drugs. They scored it 2.5 out of 10 on a scale in which zero represented very poor value and 10 was excellent. This was similar to cocaine's ranking in Britain, Dr Winstock said.

''The consistent thing between the UK and Australia is both rated coke as being the worst value for money drug … and yet the difference in price is four-fold.

''It's a luxury item here [Australia]. People who've got lots of money use coke and if you're on benefits and doing crime you do crystal [methamphetamine].''

Asked about the negative consequences of their drug taking, respondents ranked cocaine second after tobacco for causing them ''money worries or problems''. They ranked cocaine second after ecstasy for making them feel happy and confident, and increasing pleasure from social interactions.

Federal government statistics show that cocaine use has been increasing since 2004 and the drug is most popular among educated, high-earning city dwellers.

Consumption has risen most sharply among young women in their 20s, the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's 2010 drug survey shows.

Professor Shane Darke, of the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, said cocaine was a highly dangerous drug that damaged heart muscles and clogged arteries.

There was a risk of fatal heart problems, even for first-time users, he said, and the damage increased every time people used the drug.

''It has persistent and cumulative effects and if you think that you're protected because you're not injecting it and just snorting it on weekends, that's fantasy,'' he said.

Nine per cent of cocaine users in the survey said they would like to use the drug less, and 2 per cent said they would like help to cut down or stop taking it.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/payin … z2NwuA5ceB

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noir denim is the house brand of Up There Store in Melb. They have some interesting non-raw options:

http://www.uptherestore.com/blog/noir/2011/10/noir-collection02-summer-jean

I kinda want this one:

http://www.uptherestore.com/product/jean001-stonewashed

I am no denim aficionado, but these guys seem to know their stuff and so I imagine the quality and detailing are pretty good.

*edit not sure if I am just kidding myself, though, and may as well get an $80 pair of Levi 501s!

http://levi.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pLEVI1-2202483t330x400.jpg

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question: I'm currently advising a mate on a wedding rig. He is getting a grey suit, I think mid-grey but could be light grey. That being the case, would the standard grey/silver/black&white tie and white pocket square advice apply? Seems like the effect might be a bit monochrome with a white shirt, especially if the tie is not too far off the suit in colour...

Thoughts?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
im considering giving Japan Blues "tapered" fit a go on Jay's advice. anyone have experience with Japan Blue jeans?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A question: I'm currently advising a mate on a wedding rig. He is getting a grey suit, I think mid-grey but could be light grey. That being the case, would the standard grey/silver/black&white tie and white pocket square advice apply? Seems like the effect might be a bit monochrome with a white shirt, especially if the tie is not too far off the suit in colour...

Thoughts?

It really depends on just how classic and restrained he wants to look.

I think that the mid-grey suit, white shirt, B&W mini-houndstooth check or B&W mini-tattersall check tie and white linen pocket square look great, but I suppose that one could also substitute a really pale blue shirt for the white shirt to add a touch of colour.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that the mid-grey suit, white shirt, B&W mini-houndstooth check or B&W mini-tattersall check tie and white linen pocket square look great, but I suppose that one could also substitute a really pale blue shirt for the white shirt to add a touch of colour.

That's a good suggestion. I feel like the outfit needs a touch of blue. What about in the tie? The navy Kent Wang shepherd's check tie might do it. I'm tempted to suggest a navy tie with a satin finish, but that is perhaps too dark/bold (it''ll be a daytime affair).

http://www.kentwang.com/ties/shepherds-check-navy.html

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

also depends if he is the groom or an attendee?

i generally prefer a navy/white houndstooth if he is restrained.

lennier

Reaction score
Thanks for the leather jacket tips guys. I'll retire to consider. TBM your jacket would potentially have interested me since a bit tight on you may well fit me decently, but since it's Black Label and seeing its original price I think it will be (a lot) out of my league!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the leather jacket tips guys. I'll retire to consider. TBM your jacket would potentially have interested me since a bit tight on you may well fit me decently, but since it's Black Label and seeing its original price I think it will be (a lot) out of my league!

I could be wrong, but I think that it's a regular Polo RL leather jacket in an A-2 style.

From memory, they retailed for about $1200 but BNIB ones can often be found on eBay for $600 or less. RRL also has a similar A-2 homage, but they cost quite a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads