• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted in the specific thread, but may as well have it here as well: I had two pairs of trousers altered at M & R this week (Level 1 49 York St). One of the pairs required a fair amount of work: rise shortened, legs narrowed and waist taken in. Am very pleased with the result, and will definitely go back for any future alterations.

"6"

Reaction score

Fresh from the post office, some ties and a pocket square from Gerald and Diana at Vanda in Singapore (apologies for the poor quality of the phone photo):
This is my third delivery from gshen/Vanda and I'm very impressed by their ties and by their service.
I should have some photos of some recent acquisitions from Deer Style in Brisbane to post soon, too, as soon as I get around to transferring them from my camera to my computer.

I thought that might be a vanda square when I saw you this afternoon!

Those are some good looking ties.

"6"

Reaction score
Not a bad place to buy shirts from for someone who's just started in the workforce and needs to build a basic rotation of shirts.

At that price point, I personally favour TM Lewin, because Lewin shirts have a split-yoke shoulder and their collars and cuffs are unfused and feel really good for what they are charging.

Last edited:

Illume

Reaction score

The Cloakroom used to have really good prices for Grensons - in fact, that was the best and pretty much the only good thing about them, at the risk of sounding rather harsh - but their prices have increased quite a bit in the last year or two. It will be interesting to see how the Cloakroom's prices compare to Grenson's prices.
Also, don't forget that places like Pediwear also stock Grenson shoes, and will deduct VAT when shipping outside the UK.

I'll let you know on the cloakrooms prices if i get an email back. I went into their Syd store last year actually to inquire about a pair, they had about 4 items in the whole store (think the Syd 'store' was basically just to have a presence here) and ended up leaving my details but didnt hear anything back but i didnt chase them up either. Grenson have pointed me in the direction of them as well as Beggar Man Thief in Melbourne as local stocklists so they might be another option. Will also be interesting to see prices too. I Have checked out Pediwear but the Tom Suedes arent stocked on the site but i might be able to place an order regardless.

Interestingly, also thinking of grabbing some C&J Hallam or Tetbury suedes and Pediwear have said they have 'already used all of our allocation for March and have full waiting lists for April, May and June so we cannot now place this order with the factory until the beginning of July. Delivery could be up to 8 - 10 weeks thereafter depending on the factory stock situation and production schedules'. So like end of the year basically haha.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Posted this in another thread but thought I would try here as well:
Could this suit be worn as separates?

http://www.austinreed.co.uk/fcp/product/austinreed/Suits/Signature-Grey-Flannel-Suit/8344
I'm looking for a mid grey flannel myself and this would be perfect if not for the slanted pockets on the jacket, seems to be an english thing. I've had a few MTM suits with those pockets over the years and I end up hating them after a few months. Could wear the trousers seperate easy not sure about the jacket though. There are some nice fabrics in there though for fairly cheap.

lennier

Reaction score
Anyone have pointers towards a decent maker of contemporary soft-shouldered, slim fit tweed jackets? The recent Melbourne preview of winter has got me thinking along those lines and some searching the past few days hasn't turned up a whole lot of obvious options. My PJohnson budget has all been consumed for now so getting one made by them isn't really an option, and Herringbone don't have anything in their current collection at least. Thanks for any info.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll let you know on the cloakrooms prices if i get an email back. I went into their Syd store last year actually to inquire about a pair, they had about 4 items in the whole store (think the Syd 'store' was basically just to have a presence here) and ended up leaving my details but didnt hear anything back but i didnt chase them up either. Grenson have pointed me in the direction of them as well as Beggar Man Thief in Melbourne as local stocklists so they might be another option. Will also be interesting to see prices too. I Have checked out Pediwear but the Tom Suedes arent stocked on the site but i might be able to place an order regardless.
Interestingly, also thinking of grabbing some C&J Hallam or Tetbury suedes and Pediwear have said they have 'already used all of our allocation for March and have full waiting lists for April, May and June so we cannot now place this order with the factory until the beginning of July. Delivery could be up to 8 - 10 weeks thereafter depending on the factory stock situation and production schedules'. So like end of the year basically haha.

Try Christopher Forbes online for C&J. They seem to have models in stock and are quick to response to enquires. Also ship very fast and get a free pairs of socks (red in my case, no pink unfortunately).

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a mid grey flannel myself and this would be perfect if not for the slanted pockets on the jacket, seems to be an english thing. I've had a few MTM suits with those pockets over the years and I end up hating them after a few months. Could wear the trousers seperate easy not sure about the jacket though. There are some nice fabrics in there though for fairly cheap.

Could you let me know if you find anything? I know what you mean about the pockets and that's putting me off a little as well but I'm not finding much else so as far as mid grey flannels are concerned.

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Anyone have pointers towards a decent maker of contemporary soft-shouldered, slim fit tweed jackets? The recent Melbourne preview of winter has got me thinking along those lines and some searching the past few days hasn't turned up a whole lot of obvious options. My PJohnson budget has all been consumed for now so getting one made by them isn't really an option, and Herringbone don't have anything in their current collection at least. Thanks for any info.

Maybe try the Hackett concession inside David Jones. I thought they had a tweed collection, so they might carry something like that.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I tell you, when it rains in Sydney it really rains...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ At first I thought he's lying on a water feature. :laugh:

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Nup - that's the Bondi Pavillion this morning.

Last edited:

smeggett

Reaction score

Another option is a place called Edwards of Manchester - I recently purchased a pair of C&J Westbourne shoes from them (got the last pair in my size luckily) and shipping was quick (ordered Thursday, arrived the following Tuesday) and service was good. I note they sell the Hallams.

Cheers

RayRay

Reaction score

Another option is a place called Edwards of Manchester - I recently purchased a pair of C&J Westbourne shoes from them (got the last pair in my size luckily) and shipping was quick (ordered Thursday, arrived the following Tuesday) and service was good. I note they sell the Hallams.

Cheers

Co-sign...Service is top notch... Also, they usually (about once a year) have a 20% off everything sale. 20% off + VAT reduction makes everything tempting... LOL...They stock Edward Greens and Gaziano & Girling... I was able to score a pair of black EG captoes for about $AUS650 shipped to my house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads