• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fxh, think that should feasible. There is plenty of sleeve before the button starts, I could lose maybe an inch, which is about what I need and it would be fine. Normally would not might if they were a little longer than I like but think these need to be shortened to be at that length.

Very nice MOP buttons so might be nice if they were a little more noticeable (ie closer to sleeve end). Texture of coat is rough linen in Glen Check. Will speak to a tailor and see if they will give it a try. Appreciate the advice.

Now to find a trusted tailor....

Edit: Thanks to thebrownman too (I was watching Media Watch when you posted that on your Tumblr and remember agreeing then). ABC on a Monday is usually good for sartorially matters, Media Watch, Dirk Gently, Bored to Death and occasional QandA guest.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had functional cuffed sleeves shortened before. May look a little odd with last button quite close to the edge, so I just have the last buttons unbuttoned to get the balance back. To the unwashed masses I just look baller.

Plestor

Reaction score
As others have mentioned it just changes the distance of the buttons from the end of the sleeve. I've had this touched in the case of picky about sleeve length no problems (~1cm tho). Try pinning it and see how it looks.

Quality posts from fxh (on this issue and where to find style).

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On another note, a little research via Google (most of which leads back to Style Forum) talks about functional sleeves needed to be shorten from the shoulder and how expensive/messy (without the right tailor) that can get. I have heard/read this many times in passing (ie it was not relevant to me at the time).
Am I completely wrong in thinking that it is only a small change it could be done from the cuff (cheaper and easier?), even on working cuffs. This particular coat has a fair amount of sleeve before the buttons start (if that makes sense)? Could that be shortened? Or am I being naive?
Melbourne tailor suggestion (esp. ones people may have used for sleeve shortening) still appreciated.

I think fxh has answered your question, and basically your approach should depend on common sense.

Generally, if you are lengthening or shortening a cuff by around half an inch, you can get away without moving the buttons. It's just a matter of unpicking the lining and letting down/taking up the excess sleeve material from the cuff. Working or not buttons, it doesn't matter, as the buttons and the holes don't need to move. Who cares if your sleeve buttons are 1.1 inches from your cuff or 1.5in? It makes 0 difference.

If you are making more than 5/8ths of an inch alteration (particularly shortening), then you may have to move the buttons or delete buttons as fxh suggested, and so whether they work or not becomes a factor (if they don't work they can unpick the "holes" which is just decorative stitching to look like a closed hole, and then move the buttons themselves up or down and not bother with new fake holes). If the button holes work, you may have to start from the sleevehead.

Again though, it's only really a problem if you are doing major lengthening/shortening. Personally I've never had to have sleeves altered more than half an inch. Let common sense prevail.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think fxh has answered your question, and basically your approach should depend on common sense.
Generally, if you are lengthening or shortening a cuff by around half an inch, you can get away without moving the buttons. It's just a matter of unpicking the lining and letting down/taking up the excess sleeve material from the cuff. Working or not buttons, it doesn't matter, as the buttons and the holes don't need to move. Who cares if your sleeve buttons are 1.1 inches from your cuff or 1.5in? It makes 0 difference.
If you are making more than 5/8ths of an inch alteration (particularly shortening), then you may have to move the buttons or delete buttons as fxh suggested, and so whether they work or not becomes a factor (if they don't work they can unpick the "holes" which is just decorative stitching to look like a closed hole, and then move the buttons themselves up or down and not bother with new fake holes). If the button holes work, you may have to start from the sleevehead.
Again though, it's only really a problem if you are doing major lengthening/shortening. Personally I've never had to have sleeves altered more than half an inch. Let common sense prevail.

Thanks, although think you might put too much faith in my common sense.

Here is the aforementioned sleeve. Will let you know how I get on. Think I will just visit Katrina's in the conservative business dress or Chronic Fix in Greville Street unless anyone knows anywhere better.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh - it has and always will be a truism: it's up to the old dogs to teach the young pups "new" tricks...

Your comment made me think of this: http://www.quora.com/Did-you-come-t...hat-triggered-your-discovery-How-did-you-cope

Not sure if anyone else here is on Quora, or has ever heard of it, but it's one of those examples, like StyleForum, where social media is showing how great it can be. Anyway, have a read of the second answer "Dad vs Son: The Smart-Off". I think fathers would enjoy reading it.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ For mine (and without a scale on that photo) you probably have a good half inch to play with there (I think if you had even half the current gap between buttons and cuff it would not be noticeable). Most alterations tailors could let them up without any trouble if you tell them not to move the buttons. Be sure to make that clear though in case they get ideas about shortening from the shoulder, or moving the buttons etc.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ For mine (and without a scale on that photo) you probably have a good half inch to play with there (I think if you had even half the current gap between buttons and cuff it would not be noticeable). Most alterations tailors could let them up without any trouble if you tell them not to move the buttons. Be sure to make that clear though in case they get ideas about shortening from the shoulder, or moving the buttons etc.

Thanks. That is what I thought/hoping too.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone ever bought Sanders shoes from the UK? If so any views on them, a Fine Pair of Shoes are having a sale and there is a pair I want http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/sanders-price-asc the Jude brown but only in a F sizing. My hoofs being in some cases borderline F/G I wonder if I could get a away with the F? Next step find a ruler and pray.

For those in Melbourne, Soul Devotion was selling a few Sanders models. You can go in and fondle them.

http://www.soledevotion.com/store/49-sanders

MickyD

Reaction score

Your comment made me think of this: http://www.quora.com/Did-you-come-t...hat-triggered-your-discovery-How-did-you-cope
Not sure if anyone else here is on Quora, or has ever heard of it, but it's one of those examples, like StyleForum, where social media is showing how great it can be. Anyway, have a read of the second answer "Dad vs Son: The Smart-Off". I think fathers would enjoy reading it.

That is one of the best things I've read in a long time. Thanks for sharing it.

tomee

Reaction score
wife bought a jacket online that is slightly too big so she wants to sell it.
I told her to try and get it tailored. so does anyone know of a good place on Collins St Rialto towers side?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wife bought a jacket online that is slightly too big so she wants to sell it.
I told her to try and get it tailored. so does anyone know of a good place on Collins St Rialto towers side?

i think blahman wears that sort of thing - see if he'll buy it.

Tell him it works well with no socks and suede bedroom slippers and tight jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads