• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyMichel

Reaction score
Guys,

I found this yesterday though i didnt buy it!

They wanted 80 for it. So i said i would think about it and they said they wouldn't sell it to anyone till next sat.

Its a one button peak lapel mid grey morning suit, made in march 1969 on Saville row at Sandon and Co Ltd.

It fits me spot on and would only need slimming in the pants.

What are your thoughts?

The fabric is a little stiff, given its 40 years old which basically a given, but it looks as though its been worn only once.

The other factor is that the pants have a massive rise and are double pleated. though the jacket imo is very contemporary.

This guy must have been a 38L and 6 foot 4 because its a really long suit.

Would love to know your opinion guys.

jobro

Reaction score

Guys,
They wanted 80 for it. So i said i would think about it and they said they wouldn't sell it to anyone till next sat.
Its a one button peak lapel mid grey morning suit, made in march 1969 on Saville row at Sandon and Co Ltd.
What are your thoughts?

The fabric is a little stiff, given its 40 years old which basically a given, but it looks as though its been worn only once.
The other factor is that the pants have a massive rise and are double pleated. though the jacket imo is very contemporary.

Maybe buy it as a costume or possibly for a wedding but other than that, probably not worth it.

It belonged to this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Becke

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I probably be trying to chat up random ladies next Friday evening.
Another random idea pop into my mind: Wear your R&B burgundy knit next Monday going about doing what ever you do Mondays and play spot the SFite. :D

I'm doing this.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess if RemyMichel is a Military enthusiast, then it would be perfect. The suit definitely has an interesting history, and it's definitely a unique item.

Hard to see a use for it other than as a historical curio. There wouldn't be too many opportunities to wear a morning suit these days.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only if you believe that SFers are the only well-dressed people in Australia.

I usually look for the official SF pant length, English shoes and evidence of post-purchase tailoring on the jacket.
Truth is though, I'm very much not very Style Forumy.

Last edited:

__PG__

Reaction score

I don't think you can get a 'low rise' trouser with a morning suit. It would look all wrong.

If you go to the races often (or have similar need for a morning suit) then get it.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys,
What are your thoughts?

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the jacket curiously short?

My image of a morning coat is more like this (image taken from Pakeman, Catto and Carter):

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you should get it. Granted, it's only $80 - but if you're already questioning its usefulness, then you'll probably not find enough of a use for it.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo Journeyman, girlfriend just got back from Brisbane tonight - am going to hear all about it from her tomorrow. Having never been, I'm interested to see what she says..

That said, there won't be a single style-related discussion. In fact, I will need to practice my listening face before this happens:

couleur

Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend me a "professional" suit tailor in Melbourne? I've been to Expert Alterations in Royal Arcade, Melbourne. The Italian lady only knows basic stuff and she overcharges. I was then recommended to Sam under Myer in Docklands, he is good with shirts, pants but not quite suits. Im looking for someone who knows how to fit a suit well without bullshitting. The suit is from Z Zegna, i'm thinking of taking it to Ermenegildo Zegna, Collins st which does alterations, they probably send it somewhere else, if I can't find anyone I can trust?

RemyMichel

Reaction score

Can anyone here recommend me a "professional" suit tailor in Melbourne? I've been to Expert Alterations in Royal Arcade, Melbourne. The Italian lady only knows basic stuff and she overcharges. I was then recommended to Sam under Myer in Docklands, he is good with shirts, pants but not quite suits. Im looking for someone who knows how to fit a suit well without bullshitting. The suit is from Z Zegna, i'm thinking of taking it to Ermenegildo Zegna, Collins st which does alterations, they probably send it somewhere else, if I can't find anyone I can trust?

Yana from Sew Right above Gasp is good, we used to use her for Calibre.

M&E alterations under 80 Collins street is also good, apparently they do a lot of collins street clothing.

If you want somebody that is top notch, the tailor that does KENZO is very good and expensive, ill have to double check the name

RemyMichel

Reaction score

Hard to see a use for it other than as a historical curio. There wouldn't be too many opportunities to wear a morning suit these days.

I don't think you should get it. Granted, it's only $80 - but if you're already questioning its usefulness, then you'll probably not find enough of a use for it.

My thoughts exactly, not really that useful and i would probably never wear it, its just that its such a contemporary cut jacket and a not so formal colour that it put doubt in my mind making my think i might be able to rock it one day :slayer:.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the jacket curiously short?
My image of a morning coat is more like this (image taken from Pakeman, Catto and Carter):

the photo may be a little deceiving, it came down to the back of my knee's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads