• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Invitation
Meet-up - Melbourne

I will be going to see the the MANSTYLE exhibition of history of mens fashion at the NGV.
Sat 26. March 2011

See some info here: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/e...ions/manstyle2

If any others would like to meet up around 11am at NGV St Kilda Rd - perhaps have a short drink or coffee - and walk around exhibition. The part of the exhibition that is at NGV is focused around earlier and more extravagant examples of Mens clothing.

Around 12.30 or so - we would walk (or tram, run, jog, saunter, sashay, truck, stroll, mooch) on to Fed Square where the second part of the exhibition is at Potter Gallery focused on 20th century and Australian fashion. (Its not all that clear to me how its divided up but this is what I have gleaned without actually ringing up and asking)

Its free entry both parts from what I understand.

I wouldn't want to spend all that long unless its particularly interesting. I might think of having a light lunch afterwards.

The idea is to be low key and inclusive.

Anyone is welcome.
Lurkers especially.

Signal here if you are coming and PM me your mobile number.

I'm not particularly organising anything - just providing an opportunity.

So Far: 5 likely plus me.

ryanohare

Reaction score
I would go but my wardrobe's not good enough for the occassion, and y'all haven't done enough to convince me it on't be one big preening critique of everyone's taste/fashion.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
I would go but my wardrobe's not good enough for the occassion, and y'all haven't done enough to convince me it on't be one big preening critique of everyone's taste/fashion.

I hereby solemnly swear that I will be in nothing but jeans and a polo for the occasion.

Now come along you wuss.

ryanohare

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Portsea all weekend anyway, so it's a no from me.

Anyway, while we're on the Melbourne discussion; can any SF'ers recommend a decent independent financial advisor? PM's welcome if you don't want to post details in the thread.

Thanks.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ryan

I tried without being explicit to convey that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in critiques or competition. I've never posted a picture of me on SF asking for comments or praise and I'm never likely to. I've no problem with people who do ask for fit or colour etc critiques.

I dress largely for myself - I'm not sure I'd be SF approved (I certainly hope not). I've invited a couple of mates of mine who wouldn't know an online mens clothes forum if they fell over one. Unfortunately I don't think they can come but at least one could turn up in old jeans and thongs with a t shirt.

I really mostly don't give a toss what people wear.

Come along if you are interested in the exhibition - I am - I have a bit of a obsession with the history and development to men's clothing and various items of clothing.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can any SF'ers recommend a decent independent financial advisor?
Theres not many truely independent ones around - its a scandal in the superannuation etc area.

Without getting too many personal details - tell us what you are after.

There a few people here with financial experience - it depends what you are after.

If its just buying a house or car or saving or super or borrowing - or dealing with credit cards - the advice is pretty simple and generic - despite what the publicity might have you believe.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
ryan

I tried without being explicit to convey that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in critiques or competition. I've never posted a picture of me on SF asking for comments or praise and I'm never likely to. I've no problem with people who do ask for fit or colour etc critiques.

I dress largely for myself - I'm not sure I'd be SF approved (I certainly hope not). I've invited a couple of mates of mine who wouldn't know an online mens clothes forum if they fell over one. Unfortunately I don't think they can come but at least one could turn up in old jeans and thongs with a t shirt.

I really mostly don't give a toss what people wear.

Come along if you are interested in the exhibition - I am - I have a bit of a obsession with the history and development to men's clothing and various items of clothing.

I was being mildly facetious s'all.

I'm sure it'll be fun, but unfortunately I've other engagements.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Theres not many truely independent ones around - its a scandal in the superannuation etc area.

Without getting too many personal details - tell us what you are after.

There a few people here with financial experience - it depends what you are after.

If its just buying a house or car or saving or super or borrowing - or dealing with credit cards - the advice is pretty simple and generic - despite what the publicity might have you believe.

A bit of everything really. I've come into a bit of cash recently, and bar dumping it all into a high interest savings account I've made no real plans for it.

I suppose mortgage-related advice is what I'm after as that's on the priority list (beyond paying for my upcoming nuptials) so someone independent (and I realise that's a bit of a contradiction) would be on the agenda.

Searching for 'independent mortage advisor' on google isn't gonna do it I'm afriad, so if anyone has a reputable F.A. they know feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of everything really. I've come into a bit of cash recently, and bar dumping it all into a high interest savings account I've made no real plans for it.

I suppose mortgage-related advice is what I'm after as that's on the priority list (beyond paying for my upcoming nuptials) so someone independent (and I realise that's a bit of a contradiction) would be on the agenda.

Searching for 'independent mortage advisor' on google isn't gonna do it I'm afraid, so if anyone has a reputable F.A. they know feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

Cash - best on term deposit with a proper bank for short to medium term. Check the rates - often 5 months will pay more than 6 months - you can get around 6.5% and its government guaranteed. The initial money not the return.

A mortgage broker will get you the best deal - it might not be all about interest rates - theres fees etc.

Nicholas Gruen runs PEACH - http://www.peachhomeloans.com.au/ - cheap online - independent - professional and Melbourne. - Disclaimer - I've met him and known him through online activities..

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Cash - best on term deposit with a proper bank for short to medium term. Check the rates - often 5 months will pay more than 6 months - you can get around 6.5% and its government guaranteed. The initial money not the return.

A mortgage broker will get you the best deal - it might not be all about interest rates - theres fees etc.

Nicholas Gruen runs PEACH - http://www.peachhomeloans.com.au/ - cheap online - independent - professional and Melbourne. - Disclaimer - I've met him and known him through online activities..

Fantastic FXH, thanks.

jobro

Reaction score

Searching for 'independent mortage advisor' on google isn't gonna do it I'm afriad, so if anyone has a reputable F.A. they know feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

You should note that Financial Planning Association certified financial planners need not have a specific education. Uncertified financial planners (non regulated area) need no education to be able to call themselves financial planners.

__PG__

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren are have 25% off at the moment in their Melbourne store. Black Label suits are 'only' $1800!

Polo suits may be around the $1000 mark...may be be worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads