• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On another note - anyone here who wears Common Projects?

Wondering if their advice on sizing down is advisable.

Basically it depends how wide your feet are. In nearly all shoes I take a 9 1/2 UK, if not then usually a 10 UK.

I have the Common Projects Achilles in 9 UK (43). Length wise they are spot on, and they are fine width wise with thin or no socks. Think the 10 UK (44) would be a good fit too.

Not sure how much that helps you. I was in Incu today and they had some, on sale too. This was in Melbourne but the Sydney branch might have some too.

smeggett

Reaction score

If I get time I'll write review of Gatsby.

er... short version.

Getting there an hour late - you wont miss anything.

er..
the mens clothes are good - as a look /silhouette

I saw it in 3D Wednesday night - not really sure why 3D was necessary...

Agree with the rest of your review though.

Oh, and I'm still wondering how you can turn such a short book into such a long movie and still miss out so much of the story!

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from the thrift thread. Here's my op shop adventures for the day.

Bunch of pocket squares/hankies.
Top-to-bottom: Roberta di Camerino, Balmain, Dunhill, Dunhill, illegible brand, Calvin Klein, Nicole and an unbranded silk.There was also a couple of Ungaros that were exceedingly girly so I've already given them to some perfumistas I know.

Cartier Must de Cartier EDT, in its own leather pouch. Probably about 5-10 ml of juice left.

Burberry's DB jacket, gold buttons. looks near mint. Size not marked (does this indicate MTM?). My measurements suggest it's something like a 40R drop 6.

Brooks Brothers cotton trousers, my size. Is this the BBGF label?

Paul Smith shirt with contrast detail inside the cuff. Size 17.5/44.

Four Turnbull and Asser shirts FC. Size not marked, but they measure to around a 15.5/40 on my tape. The moron at the shop put the price tag through the collar points, causing a pinhole in each one. Can this be fixed with a wash/iron. steam etc?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basically it depends how wide your feet are. In nearly all shoes I take a 9 1/2 UK, if not then usually a 10 UK.

I have the Common Projects Achilles in 9 UK (43). Length wise they are spot on, and they are fine width wise with thin or no socks. Think the 10 UK (44) would be a good fit too.

I had a similar experience. I'm a UK10.5E/EU45, and i sized down to a 44. They are great lengthwise, but I felt a bit cramped for width. I put them in shoe trees for a week and after that they were fine.

Last edited:

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Which colour are you after?

I'll be heading to the Denim Store in Singapore, which stocks filsons. Would be happy to bring one back for you, if they have the bag in the colour you're after.

I know you're in Brisbane - but I'm guessing shipping between Sydney and Brisbane will be remarkably cheaper.

I had a look at a couple websites that were link and the shipping costs were pretty decent, I don't want to trouble you with more baggage on your trip. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CD - noice haul. Hope you're not on my territory or I'll have to get the lads to put the frighteners on you.

Today one opshop one Hawes & Curtis OCBD striped as new =$4 right size.

Edit:: usually I find a wash fixes any holes in collar due to use of safety or pin in collar.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CEP, new suit looks great. :thumbs-up:

Thanks Quar.

And good call on suggesting the wider lapels. They do look better. Also had the rise increased and the a tad more break.

BTW have you seen his button-down shirts? The linen ones are superb!

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I get time I'll write review of Gatsby.

er... short version.

Getting there an hour late - you wont miss anything.

er..
the mens clothes are good - as a look /silhouette

1. A friend of mine wrote what I think is an excellent critique of the film (mentioning the good and the bad and how it relates to the book), which can be found here: http://kaleidoscopicphantasmagoria.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/cant-repeat-past-no-baz-you-cant.html

2. I'm planning on visiting the USA and Canada over their winter, when it's snowy. Walking around Mildura last night (when it was about 3-4 degrees), I relised that sneakers won't be enough in colder weather - I need some boots. Should I just grab some RMW, or do people have some recommendations for other boots that are sturdy, can work in other situations (as opposed to some Red Wing/White Mountaineering boots) and aren't super expensive (like Guidi, etc)?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. A friend of mine wrote what I think is an excellent critique of the film (mentioning the good and the bad and how it relates to the book), which can be found here: http://kaleidoscopicphantasmagoria.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/cant-repeat-past-no-baz-you-cant.html

2. I'm planning on visiting the USA and Canada over their winter, when it's snowy. Walking around Mildura last night (when it was about 3-4 degrees), I relised that sneakers won't be enough in colder weather - I need some boots. Should I just grab some RMW, or do people have some recommendations for other boots that are sturdy, can work in other situations (as opposed to some Red Wing/White Mountaineering boots) and aren't super expensive (like Guidi, etc)?

Matt, would it not make more sense to get some boots over there? Unless you have use for them now too. RMs would work well as would a nice pair of chukka boots. I wear my suede pairs all the time (but they would be no good in the snow).

In other news, went for a bit of a look around the shops in the city yesterday. Surprisingly quite a bit to see in David Jones, and, with the sale, reasonable prices. Of note, some nice lightweight tweed jackets and a navy blazer (with brass buttons which would look better changed to horn) and some grey flannel trousers (not in my size unfortunately) from Ralph Lauren, some nice stuff from MJ Bale and Paul Smith upstairs, the new Denim and Supply stuff from Ralph Lauren (somewhere between RRL and Rugby) and a few other overpriced things (Zegna was one I tried on) down to more reasonable prices.

I ended up get a beautiful, quarter lined, Donegal tweed jacket for Hackett. It was reduced but still not cheap. Love fabric and a perfect off the rack fit on me. Also my wife loved it (which always helps). I have wanted another tweed jacket since my last one got too big (look out for it on B&S sometime in the future). They are so great for dress up a shirt and jeans and work really well with a pair of odd trousers and a nice knit tie too.

Will post some photographs later on, if I get around to it.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, would it not make more sense to get some boots over there? Unless you have use for them now too. RMs would work well as would a nice pair of chukka boots. I wear my suede pairs all the time (but they would be no good in the snow).

This may be true - but I really don't know. I would avoid chukka boots (simply because they'd be useless in the snow and I was hoping to get some boots for that weather, plus when it's colder here).

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ended up get a beautiful, quarter lined, Donegal tweed jacket for Hackett. It was reduced but still not cheap. Love fabric and a perfect off the rack fit on me. Also my wife loved it (which always helps). I have wanted another tweed jacket since my last one got too big (look out for it on B&S sometime in the future). They are so great for dress up a shirt and jeans and work really well with a pair of odd trousers and a nice knit tie too.

Will post some photographs later on, if I get around to it.
I've always been a bit on the fence about Hackett. On the one hand I really like their fabrics and their more modern cut. But on the other hand the quality can be hit and miss and their jackets are top dollar. Good if you can get them on sale though.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This may be true - but I really don't know. I would avoid chukka boots (simply because they'd be useless in the snow and I was hoping to get some boots for that weather, plus when it's colder here).

Wait until you get there to purchase. Allocate time on Day One of your visit to go to some kind of working-class outdoors/work gear store and buy yourself a really nice pair of lambswool-lined Sorels with removable (and therefore washable) inners. These are the ultimate cold-weather shoes for Canadian conditions and they are relatively cheap if purchased from a no-nonsense "regular guy" store. They may strike you as ungainly, but everybody wears them in the Canadian winter and of course, one removes them indoors. (All private homes are equipped with a selection of indoor slippers for inhabitants and guests, racked up just inside the front door.)

Do not underestimate the ferocity of the Canadian winter. It is not possible to be wearing too many clothes or too warm a garment, shoes included. Sorels have a particularly deeply-etched commando sole which will grip most types of snow. The idea of wearing RMs in these conditions is laughable - you will be flat on your back in 30 seconds and the shoes will be ruined in 5 minutes. Your Sorels OTOH may save your life. An Aussie slipped, fell into a tiny creek and froze to death in Niseko (Japan) last year - this was in a built-up area. Similar things happen in Canada, most of which gets a lot colder than Hokkaido. People break down in their cars, and they die. Happens there every winter.

If you're warmly dressed and suitably shod, it's fantastic to be walking around in minus 20 degree conditions, especially at night, or when it's sunny. (Yes, brilliant sunshine and minus 20. Expect this kind of ****.) Enjoy your trip.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've always been a bit on the fence about Hackett. On the one hand I really like their fabrics and their more modern cut. But on the other hand the quality can be hit and miss and their jackets are top dollar. Good if you can get them on sale though.

Yes, sort of agree. This jacket was over $1000 originally which seemed too much. The fabric is beautiful (Robert Noble, Made in Scotland) and as it is quarter lined you can see the quality finishing. Nice cut, soft structured in a very British way if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members