• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetminimal

Reaction score
I always thought it was funny that TM Lewin was based in 'Jermyn St' but their shirts were based in China.

Oh well.

DerAngriff

Reaction score
Country Road tailor fit formal shirts at $80. They look OK to me. Are they considered decent quality?

apple3210

Reaction score
hey guys, any1 in perth got any recommendations for a place to alter a suit jacket sleeve? just need to shorten it a tad or so... maybe an inch. buttons aren't functional and just for show on the sleeve. thanks

minch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
I am a 15.5/36 in TM Lewin slim fits - last order I thought that I would try the 16. The difference in the body was huge to the point that it looked like a joke, so I sent them back for 15's. It's amazing the difference in one size up. I would love to order more as they do fit well, but want to transition away from double cuffs to plain and simple barrel cuffs. Most places really only stck double cuffs nowdays in longer sleves. Given my sleeve length, I don't really think I have too many options elsewhere other then online MTM.

That would explain the difference in peoples experiences, but very strange that half an inch in neck results in such a large body difference. Unfortunately, 15.5 is a touch too tight for me in TM (esp. with the shrinking I have experinced) so I can't try the better body cut.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
In the waiting time I went for a quick wonder. Inspired by this blog post, I am on the lookout for a pair of flat front slim fitting Khaki pants. I wondered into that strange Italian store on Elizabeth St on the outside of the Galleria building. Saw a couple of chino's but wasn't game to try anything on. Does anybody know what the deal is with that place? .

I was in the US last week and picked up two pairs of JCrew's flatfront slim khakis CS. I'm not usually a khaki/chinio wearer at all, mainly because they've traditioonally looked like clowns trousers on me they're that bloody wide, but these are fantastic.

Tried them on, and bought two straight away. Think they were about $70 USD a pair. If you can buy them online then I'd give them a go.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apple3210
hey guys, any1 in perth got any recommendations for a place to alter a suit jacket sleeve? just need to shorten it a tad or so... maybe an inch. buttons aren't functional and just for show on the sleeve. thanks

This was discussed a few pages back.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
inducing article in The Age today 'Dandy' generation let their threads call the shots

__PG__

Reaction score
The article is clearly rubbish because I've seen recent pictures of David Beckham looking awesome. He wore this 3-piece suit to the final Jonathon Ross show last year.
david_beckham.jpg
article-0-0A71F1F4000005DC-974_468x378.jpg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anybody here using the iPad for board papers, minutes, agendas etc?

I'd be interested in any evaluation papers and or experiences.

One mob I'm with we are almost inevitably getting them I think. Possibly waiting for the new one - mainly because of USB connectivity - other wise its the same size and resolution as the existing one although with more RAM and 30% lighter.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
No. We still use vast quantities of paper.

I think there would be some resistance to going paperless due to many board members need to scribble and stick.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
No. We still use vast quantities of paper.

I think there would be some resistance to going paperless due to many board members need to scribble and stick.

You can make notes in iPad.

I know one or two boards using it and they are happy. Will also save money on couriering out papers and it means papers from sub-committees can be available.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
You can make notes in iPad.

I know one or two boards using it and they are happy. Will also save money on couriering out papers and it means papers from sub-committees can be available.

Our board uses them.

Everybody seems really happy with them. Only one hold out. Even the Big Giant Head uses one all the time.

__PG__

Reaction score
In my continuing search for a dinner suit I tried on a Ralph Lauren black label suit.

Wow. I was expecting a softer shouldered jacket like a tradition Caruso jacket. Instead its a very strong shouldered and tight fitting jacket with a definitintive 'V' shape. Almost like the Tom Ford. Looked great on me. Do Caruso make the dinner suits?

Then I tried on the Zegna. Compared to the Ralph Lauren, it was as dull as dogshit. Softer shoulders, but with little waist suppression and I had a sail's-worth of material at the small of my back. Trousers were quite roomy too. Would need a lot of tailoring to make it look good.

Prices - Ralph Lauren was $2500, Zegna was $3000. There is a NWT Zegna tux on eBay in my size for $500 at the moment but after actually trying it on I'm going to hold fire for the moment.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
In my continuing search for a dinner suit I tried on a Ralph Lauren black label suit.

Wow. I was expecting a softer shouldered jacket like a tradition Caruso jacket. Instead its a very strong shouldered and tight fitting jacket with a definitintive 'V' shape. Almost like the Tom Ford. Looked great on me. Do Caruso make the dinner suits?

Then I tried on the Zegna. Compared to the Ralph Lauren, it was as dull as dogshit. Softer shoulders, but with little waist suppression and I had a sail's-worth of material at the small of my back. Trousers were quite roomy too. Would need a lot of tailoring to make it look good.

Prices - Ralph Lauren was $2500, Zegna was $3000. There is a NWT Zegna tux on eBay in my size for $500 at the moment but after actually trying it on I'm going to hold fire for the moment.

I am seeing so many dinner suits and the odd set of vintage tails in the thrifts all in good condition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads