• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I suspected as much but was hoping that I would be proven wrong.

Chalk this one up to experience then.

LPS
smile.gif

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Hi all,

Another Canberra based APS automaton checking in here. I've read through this entire thread over the last day or two and it's been a really interesting read, and I'm especially loving the Oz perspective on these matters. I'm looking forward to picking up more a lot more information on how to dress 'properly' and how to make the dollars go further when doing so. I've already got some Vaccel socks on the way....
happy.gif

In reply to the question about alterations in Canberra, there is also a guy upstairs in Baileys Arcade. My better half swears by him for her stuff, and the couple of things he'd done for me have been nicely handled (though I guess I might not even realise if he butchered it
biggrin.gif
)

Next up will be a question about where to go with my shoes. Ecco's be damned....

Cheers,
Simon.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome
Next up will be a question about where to go with my shoes. Ecco's be damned....
First stop - The Salvation Army. Second stop - B&S forum, Pediwear, P.lal and Herring shoes. Conveniently all in one location. Third stop - The bank to up your credit limit.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
so ******* hot in sydney (martin place) today... humidity was so high with the heat, unbearable...

**** this weather. I can't even sleep well at night cuz i don't have air con,

so no good nights rest for my analyst job tmr at work...

/***** ***** whine whine moan moan

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
so ******* hot in sydney (martin place) today... humidity was so high with the heat, unbearable... **** this weather. I can't even sleep well at night cuz i don't have air con, so no good nights rest for my analyst job tmr at work... /***** ***** whine whine moan moan
same story here
ffffuuuu.gif
no air con and bedroom is on second floor of a townhouse unit. Roof insulation really does it's job in winter and summer... the room is easily 4 degrees warmer inside... I'm actually sleeping downstairs on the couch atm. Oh and welcome to the forum gassyndrome. In regards to your question regarding shoes, I tend to frequent Herring shoes a lot. Pediwear is a good option too, but I've got all my core basic shoes from Herring for now as I believe their inhouse rebranded shoes (mostly from Loake, Baarker and Cheaney) are rather fairly priced and compared to Pediwear (which does offer a wider range admittedly) seems to charge less per shoe for delivery for every extra shoe you order. which is about GBP20 for 1 pair, GBP25 for 2pairs; GBP30 for 3 pairs and cappedat GBP35 for 4 or more pairs. Best of all they deliver via UPS which takes about 5 working days to arrive. the other stores mostly use royal mail, hence they don't have as much tracking ability and take about twice the wait time. Though buying online is also quite a hit and miss. So some homework is in order.... I usually wear an 8.5G (Wide shoe) but The Loake on the 3625 last in 8.5G is too tight for me to fit orthothics while the 026 Loake Last in 8.5G is excellent. If you're planning to get one of Herring's Classic Ranges by Loake; shoes which have a 026 last, you can check some of the Loake branded stuff (also with the 026 Last) in the bigger David Jones stores and try em on. That should give you a pretty good idea how the fit for the 026 Last.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so ******* hot in sydney (martin place) today... humidity was so high with the heat, unbearable...

My son has gone batching with mates and at my suggestion he got an AUD18 rotating fan at Bunnings. The missus has one going all night and works pretty well.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel your pain. We're the same here down south. Cool change coming Sunday night apparently.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Another Canberra based APS automaton checking in here. I've read through this entire thread over the last day or two and it's been a really interesting read, and I'm especially loving the Oz perspective on these matters. I'm looking forward to picking up more a lot more information on how to dress 'properly' and how to make the dollars go further when doing so. I've already got some Vaccel socks on the way....
happy.gif

In reply to the question about alterations in Canberra, there is also a guy upstairs in Baileys Arcade. My better half swears by him for her stuff, and the couple of things he'd done for me have been nicely handled (though I guess I might not even realise if he butchered it
biggrin.gif
)

Cheers,
Simon.

G'day Simon,

Welcome to the forum, another Canberran! Good stuff. The guy you are talking about's name is Tuan and his business is TT Fashion's, I have been going to him for over 10 years now and he is one of the nicest guys going round, his wife too.

He is great for easier to do alterations but is a little limited for more complicated things like shortening sleeves with working buttonholes etc. For this sort of stuff there is a family business upstairs in Garema Place just above 3 sisters Thai or whatever it's called. Can't think of their name right now but they are usually around double the price of Tuan, but do a good job.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Another Canberra based APS automaton checking in here. I've read through this entire thread over the last day or two and it's been a really interesting read, and I'm especially loving the Oz perspective on these matters. I'm looking forward to picking up more a lot more information on how to dress 'properly' and how to make the dollars go further when doing so. I've already got some Vaccel socks on the way....
happy.gif
biggrin.gif
) Next up will be a question about where to go with my shoes. Ecco's be damned.... Cheers, Simon.

Greetings Simon So this is how my tax dollars are spent APS automatons net surfing all day I wonder which dept your with at one stage I was with ACBP and we could not access SF. There is another tailor upstairs at Garema Place in Civic who I have used for alterations on a sports coat they did a good job, not cheap but good quality work. As for socks try Marcoliani an Italian brand available at DJ's I only buy mine when there on sale. As for shoes forget it, aside from RM Williams boots there is nothing worth buying in this town, try http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/ They have a good selection of shoes and the there quick to deliver. And as for the heat FTFAJ its too much worse the last couple of days due to humidity and still conditions at nigh, mind you that thunderstorm on Wednesday was quite spectacular, just pass me other GnT and be dammed. cheers

elvish

Reaction score

BRILLIANT! I just accepted a job offer in Sydney thinking I would leave Brisbane's terrible weather, in particular the humidity!

Oh well, thankfully I have a hotel for a month before I check in at the local couch.

youngnstupid

Reaction score
hey guys im wondering if anyone knows any good shoe repair places in sydney? i need to put a new sole on one of my shoes
frown.gif
thanks!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngnstupid
hey guys

im wondering if anyone knows any good shoe repair places in sydney? i need to put a new sole on one of my shoes
frown.gif

thanks!

sullivans wynyard ramp rear entrance speak to fred

Tano

Reaction score
Friday Morning Pop Quiz: Does anyone know the style of shirt (and where i can buy) in the pic below? http://www.burbujasdeseo.com/wp-cont...01-414x550.jpg Im not sure if its lightweight cotton utility shirt, or a rollup shirt or just a plain linen shirt. Im looking for decent quality casual, lightweight/soft shirt that has that slight transparency look. Thanks.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to show off your nipples and chest hair do ya? or some sexy undershirt lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads