• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one, Geoffrey Firmin. I have the JCrew Bayswater peacoat. Bought it in NY in 2010. It's very hardy, I wear it regularly in winter. Mine has the thinsulate lining which adds virtually zero bulk and from what I understand, adds to its insulation properties. Have to admit, the buying process for me was more along the lines of, "I'm ******* cold. What's the warmest coat you have?"

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done a search on where I can find Makr goods in Sydney, but that's been a grand failure. The 'stockist' page on the Makr website brings me to websites of stores in Sydney that are incredulously difficult to navigate, and leave you more confused than before you navigated there. Hipsters.

Anyone here has a better idea? I'm looking for the simple leather key fob. I know Makr ships to Sydney, but before forking out half the total cost, just for shipping, I thought I'd pop this question on the thread first.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know winter is months away but I have been in need of a peacoat so after due consideration I just pulled the pin on this http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation...4+20~15~~20+16+4294967181~15~~~~~~~/87195.jsp

Buddy, winter can't come soon enough. I can't wait to bust out my knitwear and jackets.

I'm looking forward to the colder months!

Soooon.

Although here there are days in the 30s until Easter.

Aren't we all...the summers here are getting worse (hotter and hotter).

I agree. I've considered moving to somewhere COLD so many times (Canada, USA, Europe)

El QUaG

Reaction score

Great, thanks El Quag. Any tips for first timer? 

I would recommend starting with a plain white shirt, using a fabric which is in stock and readily available. Ask Charles, as he may take you to the production space where all the fabrics are stored.

Using a fabric already available will equate to a quicker turn around time for initial fitting and works out cheaper. It also means you can see the fabric in person (touch and feel if you need to) and compare with other options.

Prepare a list of details you require before heading out (collar, cuff, button type, placard, etc). Will make the process much quicker and easier. Explain your situation and requirements as he is always able to accommodate.

There are always plenty of shirts already completed and hanging near the front of the store, awaiting pick up from other clients. Peruse through as it may help you get an understanding in terms of look and feel of finished product and maybe give you ideas for different options. There are always numerous different white shirts at the front for clients with varying requirements in different fabric options.

El QUaG

Reaction score

I've done a search on where I can find Makr goods in Sydney, but that's been a grand failure. The 'stockist' page on the Makr website brings me to websites of stores in Sydney that are incredulously difficult to navigate, and leave you more confused than before you navigated there. Hipsters.

Anyone here has a better idea? I'm looking for the simple leather key fob. I know Makr ships to Sydney, but before forking out half the total cost, just for shipping, I thought I'd pop this question on the thread first.

Might be best calling Footage in Darlinghurst to see if they stock.

I know Capsule Store stock Tanner Goods, who also make leather key fobs as well. Slightly different in design but still quite simple. Best to check with Capsule Store direct to see what is in stock.

I bought a Makr wallet online a year or so ago, and went through similar dramas trying to locate a local store with free shipping. At the time, I found Mr Mister but the business has since undergone a change in direction.

Spandexter

Reaction score
I've forayed into the WYAW thread for the first time for a bit of fun (cheers CW for your comment).

X-post.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received a knit tie from Tobias today, in burgundy (really liked Gerry's from the other night). Quality product and a great price.

Might be back from some more once I learn how to tie it properly (my first knit tie).

lennier

Reaction score

I received a knit tie from Tobias today, in burgundy (really liked Gerry's from the other night). Quality product and a great price.

Might be back from some more once I learn how to tie it properly (my first knit tie).

Don't tell me you've disposed of the Unofficial SF Aus Members Tie Toby?? :confused:

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of winter and sweaters in manly/fisherman styles: where would I go to in melbourne to try out thick cashmere sweaters or cardigans preferably a cable knit sweater but a thick manly cardigan wouldn't go astray.
P.S. Any reviews on Henry Carter bow ties? Thinking of grabbing one with a knit tie.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of winter and sweaters in manly/fisherman styles: where would I go to in melbourne to try out thick cashmere sweaters or cardigans preferably a cable knit sweater but a thick manly cardigan wouldn't go astray.
Good luck is my only piece of advice.

There are plenty of great knit wear (wool) brands around:

SNS Herning
Inis Mearn
Neighbour
Howling by Morrison
Epaulet
SEH Kelly
Intervallan
Berg and Berg
Drakes

No stock lists in Australia, though!

Also, cable knit is almost never cashmere. I'd hesitate to buy cashmere completely unless I was confident in the maker (and most makers I am not confident in the quality and finishing of their cashmere). There are some exceptions (Drakes and Epaulet come to mind). Skip the cashmere, it's a luxury product that is unreliable and difficult to have faith in, especially new. Virgin wool is more robust, much easier to find in high quality and substantially cheaper (want a genuine cashmere cardigan that's under $400? Hard to find!). Cashmere blends are easier to find (but again, how much does 10-15% cashmere add to a product?).

Quite happy to elaborate and talk about knitwear until the sun goes down and comes up.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

P.S. Any reviews on Henry Carter bow ties? Thinking of grabbing one with a knit tie.

Well, they are awesome :)

Umm, ask g-banger, he has one and by all accounts is very happy with it, but don't take my word for it I'm sure he'll chime in.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads