• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For some reason my 'quote' function isn't working. This brings us back to what someone said earlier. Would there be a difference in fabric labelled 2/100 ply egyptian cotton and 2/100 ply cotton. Someone mentioned earlier that there wouldn't be a discernable difference. I wonder if that is true.

I spent a while typing up a response about "Egyptian cotton" shirting last night, only for it to disappear when I tried to post it and I now see that fxh, Plestor and others have chimed in with thoughts in the meantime.

Essentially, I agree with what has already been said - just because a shirt is supposedly made from Egyptian cotton does not mean that the cotton was grown in Egypt, nor that it is any more special than other cotton shirts.

Nor is a shirt made from 2 x 100s cloth guaranteed to be good, just as a suit made from "Super 180s" cloth is not necessarily going to be a great suit - even amongst cloth of the same thread count, there are variations in quality, heft and general feel. This is at least partially due to the weave of the cloth - is the shirt made from a twill, from a poplin, from a pinpoint oxford, a royal oxford, a plain oxford or some other weave?

Also, just like "Super" numbers and suit fabric, just because a shirting fabric has a higher number, doesn't mean that it is a better choice. Higher thread count numbers can sometimes mean that a fabric is too sheer, too prone to crumpling, and difficult to iron, just like a suit fabric with a high "Super" number can crease and crumple badly, and wear out quickly as it is fragile.

Ultimately, pretty much any cloth from a reputable shirting cloth manufacturer such as Acorn, Albini, Sic TESS, Grandi & Rubinelli or Thomas Mason will be good, and it then depends on your own preferences as to whether you prefer a shirt made from poplin, twill or so on.

With regard to Rhodes & Beckett, please don't get caught up in their backstory about two English adventurers who decided to set up a shirtmaking operation in Egypt in the 1800s, as it is an absolute load of cobblers. When the then-Harrolds Shirts turned in Rhodes & Beckett a few years back, they came up with a faux-backstory that suited their operation as (apparently) their shirts were made in Egypt. Rather amusingly, they then changed production to China a year or two later and when a friend of mine enquired as to why, he was told that it was because Chinese suppliers were more reliable than Egyptian suppliers.

streetminimal

Reaction score
cmon MJ Bale, get your stuff to Collins st ASAP

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Im generally a 33 and my sizes are as follows
3sixteens Slim tapered 32
Acne Moc Raw 32
N&F Weird 32
Julius Red Twill 33
Nudies 32
APC New Standard 32
Dior MIJ 31
Thanks - you should do a fit-pic collage ... line em up:)

For $1500 you can get P Johnson. I picked up my latest a week or so ago and it was $1400.
Highly recommended.

+1 for PJ. I think you can get by at c.$1300 for basic. Mine run at c.$1.5-2k depending on trimmings. I prefer the hand finishing and soft shoulders etc

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - you should do a fit-pic collage ... line em up:)

I prefer the hand finishing and soft shoulders etc

I reckon the fit-pic collage sounds like a fair bit of work, not sure jaypee will necessarily be up for doing that. lol.

Romp, do soft shoulders cost more for PJohnson or are all their cuts priced the same, and it's finishing that raises the price?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Here are some belated pics from Friday.

Details:

- Borrelli shirt;
- Marinella tie;
- Brioni jacket;
- Kent Wang linen pocket square;
- Deer Style trousers;
- Marcoliani socks; and
- Ferragamo Tramezza two-eyelet chukka boots.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Romp, do soft shoulders cost more for PJohnson or are all their cuts priced the same, and it's finishing that raises the price?

When I had my stuff made soft shoulders were not extra but hand finishing was.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I reckon the fit-pic collage sounds like a fair bit of work, not sure jaypee will necessarily be up for doing that. lol.

depends on the shoulder - i think the original soft shoulder is same price and the slightly ruffled (is it called neapolitean?) ones are more

Also 1/4 lining is more, hand finishing, certain fabrics

Im also not sure if lighter padding/canvassing is a general improvement he has made or an option

I highly rate the hand-finish vs machine.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

depends on the shoulder - i think the original soft shoulder is same price and the slightly ruffled (is it called neapolitean?) ones are more

Also 1/4 lining is more, hand finishing, certain fabrics 

Im also not sure if lighter padding/canvassing is a general improvement he has made or an option 

I highly rate the hand-finish vs machine.

Cool man. Are you scheduled to get more stuff made? I do remember you saying your proportions had changed after losing weight recently. Not a bad excuse to get a couple more jackets? ;)

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cool man. Are you scheduled to get more stuff made? I do remember you saying your proportions had changed after losing weight recently. Not a bad excuse to get a couple more jackets?
wink.gif
yeah im going to grab a suit or two this week.

need a new navy suit.. its my worst fitting suit since shedding weight.

want to find a navy fabric thats subtley more interesting

soft shoulder, 2 button, flap/welt pockets, 1/2 lined (i want camo if they have it), hand finished, zip fly (buttons get annoying), kissing horn buttons, 2inch cuff

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember my friend, the one who was going to buy a Hugo Boss suit for his wedding for $1,400? Well he showed me his suit yesterday--navy cotton from MJ Bale for $1,000 less. It looked great. So happy :)

MJ Bale are now my default suit recommendation. They really don't have much competition, imo...

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah im going to grab a suit or two this week.

need a new navy suit.. its my worst fitting suit since shedding weight.

want to find a navy fabric thats subtley more interesting

soft shoulder, 2 button, flap/welt pockets, 1/2 lined (i want camo if they have it), hand finished, zip fly (buttons get annoying), kissing horn buttons, 2inch cuff

3-roll-2?

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone remember my friend, the one who was going to buy a Hugo Boss suit for his wedding for $1,400? Well he showed me his suit yesterday--navy cotton from MJ Bale for $1,000 less. It looked great. So happy :)
MJ Bale are now my default suit recommendation. They really don't have much competition, imo...

Nice one man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads