• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennier

Reaction score

Anyone remember my friend, the one who was going to buy a Hugo Boss suit for his wedding for $1,400? Well he showed me his suit yesterday--navy cotton from MJ Bale for $1,000 less. It looked great. So happy :)
MJ Bale are now my default suit recommendation. They really don't have much competition, imo...

That's great! I might have to get serious about trying one. So far Herringbone Osaka cut are the only OTR jackets I've found that fit me decently, and they're just overpriced when not on sale I believe. And I've yet to see anything decent on sale. So given it appears that MJB have a very similar cut in their line-up they're sounding like a good option. I'll have to grit my teeth and set foot in DJ again and check them out.. :)

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's great! I might have to get serious about trying one. So far Herringbone Osaka cut are the only OTR jackets I've found that fit me decently, and they're just overpriced when not on sale I believe. And I've yet to see anything decent on sale. So given it appears that MJB have a very similar cut in their line-up they're sounding like a good option. I'll have to grit my teeth and set foot in DJ again and check them out.. :)

Not for too long mate, they're opening up shop on Collins St from next month I believe. Their 2 for $1000 is a steal.

That said, your PJohnson stuff looks fantastic!

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Anyone remember my friend, the one who was going to buy a Hugo Boss suit for his wedding for $1,400? Well he showed me his suit yesterday--navy cotton from MJ Bale for $1,000 less. It looked great. So happy
smile.gif

MJ Bale are now my default suit recommendation. They really don't have much competition, imo...
Ah you must have been very satisfied. It's just the slightly too narrow lapels that keep me away from MJ Bale.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's just the slightly too narrow lapels that keep me away from MJ Bale.

I feel exactly the same way, but then I think that at 2 for $1000, it's a great deal, particularly for people building a suiting wardrobe early in their career.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here you go Bunny Boy
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Wow just saw these at work; here's hoping that's actually you :p
P.S. Fuk it; since we have chainstitch denim alterations here now I'm gonna go blind and order a pair of the straight 3 sixteens from selfeldge I'll probably go a 33 or 34 since I'm looking for a 'looser' pair with a highrise. Wish me Luck :)

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I spent a while typing up a response about "Egyptian cotton" shirting last night, only for it to disappear when I tried to post it and I now see that fxh, Plestor and others have chimed in with thoughts in the meantime.
Essentially, I agree with what has already been said - just because a shirt is supposedly made from Egyptian cotton does not mean that the cotton was grown in Egypt, nor that it is any more special than other cotton shirts.
Nor is a shirt made from 2 x 100s cloth guaranteed to be good, just as a suit made from "Super 180s" cloth is not necessarily going to be a great suit - even amongst cloth of the same thread count, there are variations in quality, heft and general feel. This is at least partially due to the weave of the cloth - is the shirt made from a twill, from a poplin, from a pinpoint oxford, a royal oxford, a plain oxford or some other weave?
Also, just like "Super" numbers and suit fabric, just because a shirting fabric has a higher number, doesn't mean that it is a better choice. Higher thread count numbers can sometimes mean that a fabric is too sheer, too prone to crumpling, and difficult to iron, just like a suit fabric with a high "Super" number can crease and crumple badly, and wear out quickly as it is fragile.
Ultimately, pretty much any cloth from a reputable shirting cloth manufacturer such as Acorn, Albini, Sic TESS, Grandi & Rubinelli or Thomas Mason will be good, and it then depends on your own preferences as to whether you prefer a shirt made from poplin, twill or so on.
With regard to Rhodes & Beckett, please don't get caught up in their backstory about two English adventurers who decided to set up a shirtmaking operation in Egypt in the 1800s, as it is an absolute load of cobblers. When the then-Harrolds Shirts turned in Rhodes & Beckett a few years back, they came up with a faux-backstory that suited their operation as (apparently) their shirts were made in Egypt. Rather amusingly, they then changed production to China a year or two later and when a friend of mine enquired as to why, he was told that it was because Chinese suppliers were more reliable than Egyptian suppliers.

Here's a further twist: apparently, R&B is now owned by Van Laack, the same clothing giant that owns Herringbone.

Re- Shirting fabrics: If you have the chance, the best font of knowledge to consult (here in Sydney) is Charles Nakhle out at Parramatta. As you might have gleaned by now, he is a Master Shirtmaker of the highest level who deals primarily with fabrics such as the one you've mentioned.

Personally, I can attest to the superb quality of shirting fabrics from Acron, Classic English Shirtings, Thomas Mason, Sic Tess and Alumo. Among these, Sic Tess is my go-to. May be a but more pricey, but the product is unmatched.

Super numbers may or may not mean anything; it depends on the actual cloth in question. Oxfords and twills crumple less easily than poplins. Linens are made to crease. That said, I have two shirts - one in 2-ply 100 poplin from Classic Shirtings, and the other in 2-ply 80 poplin from Alumo - that hold their shape superbly... Just depends on the SPECIFIC fabric in question.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Quote:
These kicks are the real deal this time man! They are not a SF desirable (To Boot - Adam Deryck), and l'm not sure if they're good year welted, however they will get me over the line till my next purchase, hopefully a pair Carmina's in the "Simpson" last......

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wow just saw these at work; here's hoping that's actually you :p
P.S. Fuk it; since we have chainstitch denim alterations here now I'm gonna go blind and order a pair of the straight 3 sixteens from selfeldge I'll probably go a 33 or 34 since I'm looking for a 'looser' pair with a highrise. Wish me Luck :)
ill be interested in how they turn out.. im really keen to try 3-sixteen for fit/size. Sometimes the back pockets look a tad too low for my personal style
3-roll-2?
nah - i grabbed one jacket in 3/2 and 1/4 lining but i prefer the fit of the straight 2 button and 1/2 lining

lennier

Reaction score

Not for too long mate, they're opening up shop on Collins St from next month I believe. Their 2 for $1000 is a steal.
That said, your PJohnson stuff looks fantastic!

Thanks TBM! I'd heard MJB were opening a store but didn't realise it was that close. Hard to go past the results and the overall experience of commissioning from PJ, but it would be nice to be able to get less expensive beater suits that fitted half decently!

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thought so. I'm a bit wary of the online MTM sites though, heard a few horror stories. Am I being unnecessarily cautious?
$1500 is my upper limit, any ideas? I have read (from unreliable internet sources) that P Johnson starts around this mark.

P Johnson starts lower (around $1300).

$1500 or so is usually for the hand-finished option.

deingesicht

Reaction score
Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed some people mentioning PJ and weight loss above.

My weight bounces around a fair bit, across a range of about 78-83kg. Do you think this is something PJ can accommodate, or would it just result in an ill-fitting suit?

(I also need them to disguise my shoulder misalignment but they've already assured me on that score).

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a further twist: apparently, R&B is now owned by Van Laack, the same clothing giant that owns Herringbone.
Re- Shirting fabrics: If you have the chance, the best font of knowledge to consult (here in Sydney) is Charles Nakhle out at Parramatta. As you might have gleaned by now, he is a Master Shirtmaker of the highest level who deals primarily with fabrics such as the one you've mentioned.
Personally, I can attest to the superb quality of shirting fabrics from Acron, Classic English Shirtings, Thomas Mason, Sic Tess and Alumo. Among these, Sic Tess is my go-to. May be a but more pricey, but the product is unmatched.
Super numbers may or may not mean anything; it depends on the actual cloth in question. Oxfords and twills crumple less easily than poplins. Linens are made to crease. That said, I have two shirts - one in 2-ply 100 poplin from Classic Shirtings, and the other in 2-ply 80 poplin from Alumo - that hold their shape superbly... Just depends on the SPECIFIC fabric in question.

Nor is a shirt made from 2 x 100s cloth guaranteed to be good,This is at least partially due to the weave of the cloth - is the shirt made from a twill, from a poplin, from a pinpoint oxford, a royal oxford, a plain oxford or some other weave?
Also, just like "Super" numbers and suit fabric, just because a shirting fabric has a higher number, doesn't mean that it is a better choice. Higher thread count numbers can sometimes mean that a fabric is too sheer, too prone to crumpling, and difficult to iron, just like a suit fabric with a high "Super" number can crease and crumple badly, and wear out quickly as it is fragile.
Ultimately, pretty much any cloth from a reputable shirting cloth manufacturer such as Acorn, Albini, Sic TESS, Grandi & Rubinelli or Thomas Mason will be good, and it then depends on your own preferences as to whether you prefer a shirt made from poplin, twill or so on.

2 great posts. Thanks for the info regarding shirts and shirting fabrics. I learn more on this forum than I would from most SA or even relatives.
When there are so many shirting suppliers out there, it is hard not to rely on superficial marketing like 'Egyptian cotton'. Or to use a 2x100 ply as a standard measure.
I currently have a 2x80 Ply shirt and it just isn't thick enough. I would like the fabric to be 'denser' and more rigid.

What I am tossing up bettwen is:
- CT shirts at $45 a pop.
- MJ Bale shirts $48 a pop.
- Luxire shirts $60-$120 a pop.
- Rhodes and Beckett shirts $125 a pop.
- O&J $160 a pop.
- Herringbone shirts $180 a pop.

I am having real difficult tossing up between the first 4.

This white shirt from Luxire just seems too good to beat.
http://custom.luxire.com/collections/whites/products/lusterous-fine-white Whether it is MTM or just the standard OTR size. 2x140, Zambiata (what ever the **** that means) and MOP buttons.

I should take some photos in a shirt and get you guys to comment on fit.

Naka

Reaction score
I noticed some people mentioning PJ and weight loss above.

My weight bounces around a fair bit, across a range of about 78-83kg. Do you think this is something PJ can accommodate, or would it just result in an ill-fitting suit?

(I also need them to disguise my shoulder misalignment but they've already assured me on that score).

I recall reading somewhere that if the cutter is proficient, a 4kg tolerance either side of a given weight will not affect the fit. Pehaps being fitted when you weigh 80-81kgs would be optimal? This could be just mystical iGent nonsense, you should shoot PJ an email.

Here's a further twist: apparently, R it depends on the actual cloth in question. Oxfords and twills crumple less easily than poplins. Linens are made to crease. That said, I have two shirts - one in 2-ply 100 poplin from Classic Shirtings, and the other in 2-ply 80 poplin from Alumo - that hold their shape superbly... Just depends on the SPECIFIC fabric in question.

Nor is a shirt made from 2 x 100s cloth guaranteed to be good,This is at least partially due to the weave of the cloth - is the shirt made from a twill, from a poplin, from a pinpoint oxford, a royal oxford, a plain oxford or some other weave?

Ultimately, pretty much any cloth from a reputable shirting cloth manufacturer such as Acorn, Albini, Sic TESS, Grandi

2 great posts. Thanks for the info regarding shirts and shirting fabrics. I learn more on this forum than I would from most SA or even relatives.
When there are so many shirting suppliers out there, it is hard not to rely on superficial marketing like 'Egyptian cotton'. Or to use a 2x100 ply as a standard measure.
I currently have a 2x80 Ply shirt and it just isn't thick enough. I would like the fabric to be 'denser' and more rigid.

What I am tossing up bettwen is:
- CT shirts at $45 a pop.
- MJ Bale shirts $48 a pop.
- Luxire shirts $60-$120 a pop.
- Rhodes and Beckett shirts $125 a pop.
- O&J $160 a pop.
- Herringbone shirts $180 a pop.

I am having real difficult tossing up between the first 4.

This white shirt from Luxire just seems too good to beat.
http://custom.luxire.com/collections/whites/products/lusterous-fine-white Whether it is MTM or just the standard OTR size. 2x140, Zambiata (what ever the **** that means) and MOP buttons.

I should take some photos in a shirt and get you guys to comment on fit.

If you decide to go with Luxire, get the cheapest option available first so you can dial in the measurements. The first one or two shirts are never perfect; this is the nature of online MTM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads