• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See my sig for some perfectly good suits I've been spectacularly unable to sell.

Offers considered.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a sig (fark auto correct) and nothing to sell. Mind you a certain Mr Luis Cypher did come knocking and wanted a signature in blood but on the advice of fxh I declined, wasn't paying enough if you ask me..

Anyone watching Rake?

H&K who manufacture in the People's Republic of Scotland and H&H are having sales.

Last edited:

eightace

Reaction score
Agreed re. the op shops for cufflinks. But I needed new ones for a gift.

Stumbled upon some nice cufflinks in the QVB, at a shop called Baroque Jewellery. A nice simple design in lapis-lazuli, MOP and sterling silver.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
I don't have a sig (fark auto correct) and nothing to sell. Mind you a certain Mr Luis Cypher did come knocking and wanted a signature in blood but on the advice of fxh I declined, wasn't paying enough if you ask me..

Anyone watching Rake?

H&K who manufacture in the People's Republic of Scotland and H&H are having sales.

Re Rake - tragically funny. Roxburgh is in his element. Missed the last episode but I do believe they repeat on the weekends?

Bit late in the game for a suggestion on the cufflinks however there is a lovely lady by the name of Antonia Scales who has a stand at Balmain markets on the grounds of the little church near Our Place. Great selection of sterling silver cufflinks (of which I have several pairs) and lots of trinkets for the ladies too so you can always distract the missus whilst money and goods change hands. Oh and she does repairs free of charge on all her items.

shellshoe

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Hermanbros is still in operation or is he taking a break? The website is up and running but attempts to contact Herman have been unsuccessful thus far.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At last some honesty and integrity in the election.

clayb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there still a consensus that by wearing a pair of burgundy shoes like the Loake Strand Burgundy in a typical office in the conservative business dress (technical, non client-facing, occasional suit and tie but shirt and pant most of the time otherwise), you are "making a statement" and should be prepared for getting a lot of attention and probably criticism from black-only wearers?

I like burgundy for its versatility and apparently it's the best colour for my navy/charcoal pants and occasional suits according to many people in SF and around the web, and cannot understand why most people in Melbourne just wear black shoes all the time. However as a new guy I prefer to just blend in instead of making a statement or draw too much attention from people if that is the case.

Is the post below from Selvaggio in the old thread still relevant today and so I should stick with a pair or two of black cap toe oxford shoes just to be safe? Thanks.

Quote:

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there still a consensus that by wearing a pair of burgundy shoes like the Loake Strand Burgundy in a typical office in the conservative business dress (technical, non client-facing, occasional suit and tie but shirt and pant most of the time otherwise), you are "making a statement" and should be prepared for getting a lot of attention and probably criticism from black-only wearers?

I like burgundy for its versatility and apparently it's the best colour for my navy/charcoal pants and occasional suits according to many people in SF and around the web, and cannot understand why most people in Melbourne just wear black shoes all the time. However as a new introvert, junior and not having a great body shape, I prefer to just blend in instead of making a statement or draw too much attention from people if that is the case.
I'm not Australian, although married to one and lived there only for a short while (although returning frequently). I am European, grew up in the UK and I pretty much agree with Bruce Boyer's explanation. I'm going to misquote him a bit but I read his book as a paper copy which I don't have at hand anymore.

Brits like to have a continuity of colour from trouser to shoe. So they choose darker shoes to go with their darker suit trousers. Usually that means black, but that's more or less the source of "no brown in town" and the (increasingly rarer) looks you'd get if you went to work in London wearing light brown shoes. However, it's worth noting that Foster & sons, one of if not the oldest bespoke shoemaker in London and definitely one of the most conservative, is known for a sort of brown-black antiquing which is clearly "not black", so I prefer Boyer's match-the-darkness explanation.

Italians (especially) and many other Europeans like a contrast from trouser leg to shoe. It's flashier. So you see more brown shoes, tan, suede, etc.

Americans are in between, some falling in the British camp and others in the Italian camp. I've found the East Coast more British in taste.

Australia has a very British sartorial culture, at least from my experience, and many Australians particularly in the financial industry spent some years working in London and brought back the habit. You'll occasionally see flashes of colours that'd be out of place in London. So, black shoes.

I think there's a third dimension and that is quality. If you decide to go to work in burgundy antiqued Scafora bespoke shoes, I doubt people will mind so much. Formality, and business-appropriateness is also a function of how nice your clothes are, and in today's world of greying pointy and square ended rubber soled slip ons (nevertheless the correct black) a bespoke Goodyear-welted shoe will look fantastic. This is doubly true if you are not client facing.

On the other hand if you are starting your big corp career, you do not want to stand out too much. I doubt people would tell you off for wearing the wrong coloured shoe (I doubt many back office guys care or give it more than a second's thought) but dressing too well might create a bit of distance.

shellshoe

Reaction score
He's definitely still up and running. I have a commission from him due soon.

He does have a bit of wait list atm though.

Thanks

What was your mode of contact with him? Does he reply to email at all? Would you know how long before one could get a fitting with him?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only like black and brown shoes. Burgundy doesn't take well to calf and cordovan looks plasticy.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only like black and brown shoes. Burgundy doesn't take well to calf and cordovan looks plasticy.

For the defence I believe Burgundy shoes with navy suit or trousers/grey POW jacket white shirt and burgundy paisley tie are fine in my humble POV have worn this in the past and not raised eyebrows. However I am speaking from a cultural creative perspective. In the government business circles I have been mixing the past few years ( a Murder of Crows) its been black trousers black suits and black shoes. Put me off wearing black it has.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads