• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes Wild Horses! Brumbies down the Bulls. Marvellous what a difference Stout Pizza and Pinot Noir taste like when your team produces a good win.

edwak ditch or change the pocket square.

Contango

Reaction score

Thoughts on this combination lads?

Maybe a blue shirt? The pink seems OK though.

The P.S. looks like you're trying a bit hard to match it to the colours in the tie.

Also, is that shirt a Van Huesen? :butbut:

Last edited:

edwak

Reaction score
Maybe a blue shirt? The pink seems OK though.

The P.S. looks like you're trying a bit hard to match it to the colours in the tie.

Also, is that shirt a Van Huesen?
butbut.gif

How would i fix that?
it's for a ball that is likely to get very messy and I'm a uni student so didn't want to drop big dollars incase it doesn't end up so well haha

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would i fix that?
it's for a ball that is likely to get very messy and I'm a uni student so didn't want to drop big dollars incase it doesn't end up so well haha

Is it not still standard operating procedure in these events to hit up the OP shops for something more classic, thus solving the money component and worry about the clothes surviving the night?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what Osiris said. wise words. if it's for a ball I'd find myself an op shop tux for $15, see if you can find a crisp white shirt with semi spread collar, a self tied bow tie and cap toes (you'll get away with it).

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was never a big fan of olive - and there's many a thing called olive - I'd mainly seen it as an American non committal style.
But I have a cotton suit which I like and gradually came to see as possibly olive rather than light brown.
Its probably best described as olive with a brown caste rather than a green caste. Its the green I don't particularly like.
Like black - its black with green caste that looks the worst.
Some old pics.
I wore this out last night to see Little Shop of Horrors. I was the only idiot in the whole place in a tie. I am reliably informed by Ms fxh and daughter both with Art /Graphics background and who assure me they know their pantones - that the suit is not olive but a light latte coffee brown! Not enough green in it to be olive.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what Osiris said. wise words. if it's for a ball I'd find myself an op shop tux for $15, see if you can find a crisp white shirt with semi spread collar, a self tied bow tie and cap toes (you'll get away with it).

Did that myself once. Zegna Su Misura tux for $15. Shortened the sleeves and pants for another $40. Sorted. Only worn once, but still there for emergencies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 How would i fix that? it's for a ball that is likely to get very messy and I'm a uni student so didn't want to drop big dollars incase it doesn't end up so well haha

Is it not still standard operating procedure in these events to hit up the OP shops for something more classic, thus solving the money component and worry about the clothes surviving the night?
That would have been my advice 10 years ago - maybe even 5. But I cant say I've seen more than 5 or 6 Dinner Suits worth wearing in an opshop for a few years. 10 years ago you could pick from many in your size and well made and naturally seldom worn. But I would still have a look around a few opshops if I was needing a Dinner Suit. Particularly if I was young enough to get "messy" - I don't drink at all myself these days**.

** unless forced to have one or two just to be sociable and fit in.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SHILLING ALERT

Small people who whinge about never finding cool stuff in op shops, desist and rejoice. I have found something to swell your shrivelled hearts and fill you with great joy.

This measures to a size 38. The pants are about 34 with the side tabs undone, and can go smaller.

It has flaws that can be concealed when wearing. If you can live with those, this is a beauty. PM me if you would like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics