• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cemi1988

Reaction score
On one heel really - at the top edge, slightly to the left. They still seem extremely hard around the heels, as if the leather hasn't softened or broken in properly. What conditioner do you use? Has it helped?

Had the exact same problem with 2 pairs of meermins I bought a while ago. Ended up having to sell both - I guess the last just wasn't for me.

akclothpooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo @Foxhound my only caveat with aero (still haven't gotten to Pickings yet) was the leather might be a bit heavy/thick and workwearish while I'm really after something soft and comfy. But the photo makes it look it softens up a bit with age.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, so I had this exact problem where the top edge of a pair of shoes I had would hurt and they also destroyed some socks on the back of the heel.

I got Renovateur and slathered it along the top edge and about a centimetre on the inside of the shoes and rubbed it with some vigour with a cloth. After about three or four goes over a several weeks it was all sweet.

I will add that this was with a pair of shoes that were fine otherwise, no other issues, and they were not hand grade quality, so I was not too worried about just having a crack at solving the problem. Then again, can't imagine a bit of conditioner having too adverse an effect.

Exactly the problem I have with a pair of EGs that I have. Think I will give this a shot on them as well.

Lobbed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted a while ago but with no success.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations about tailored/MTM shirts in Melbourne. Price no real object.

Alternatively, any recommendations for nice OTR shirts beyond the usual suspects (Thomas Pink etc).

Cheers

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some recommendations about tailored/MTM shirts in Melbourne. Price no real object.

Alternatively, any recommendations for nice OTR shirts beyond the usual suspects (Thomas Pink etc).

Cheers

I've heard good things about Trunk Tailors...

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

Cheers

I've had MTM shirts done by Hemden, Zanelli (RIP), PJ and Oscar Hunt. I'd say that I'm happiest with my OH shirt, it certainly gets the most wear, but that's more a function of design than quality.

May I say this as an aside, on PJ? I don't like dogs. I don't want a dog all over me when I go into my tailor. Some think it's cute; I find it just a massive turn-off. Leave it at home, like everybody else does.

Not sure if anybody has used Charles Maimone, but he would be another option than the usual list.

Last edited:

Lobbed

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.I have to say, my oscar hunt experience was pretty poor. I like PJ (and dont mind Frank!). Will check out Hemden, thanks.

melbournites

Reaction score
I have had half a dozen shirts made with OH last year. I think you get one complimentary for each purchase of 5 shirts. $150 for standard cloth and $230 for italian cloth(tessitura monti?). I felt that the service was very good and shirts fitted fairly close to my request. Sloped shoulder, watch allowance etc. I have worn 3 of them in rotation with 2 TM Lewin one and another 2 from a tailor in Malaysia. The cloth is holding up well and are easy to press.

I have worn TM Lewin ones for the past ten years and it has gradually declined in quality but you cannot really beat the price. I find the luxury cloth, non iron ones hold up the best. For me it still last 12 months before they start fall apart.

For high end OTR I picked up some Riva cloth shirts from Philippe Perzi which I think is based in Sydney. While the fit is not as good as the OH MTM the quality of construction and luxury feel of the cloth is unmatched. Price wise it is quite reasonable considering the cost for the equivalent shirt from Europe.

https://philippeperzi.com/shop/mens-dress-shirts/riva-runs/

I miss the ?Harralds shirts before they became Rhodes and Beckett. Alas the quality has declined.

By the way can anyone give feedback from those who has commisioned Trunk Tailors for suits and shirts in terms of quality and price. Also anyone used Steve Calder who just started out in Melbourne.

OzWino

Reaction score
Anyone had jackets made by Institchu. What has been your experience, and what was final quality like? Pricing seems competitive and (i believe) they do half/full canvas - but i might have imagined that.

crappbag

Reaction score

Anyone had jackets made by Institchu. What has been your experience, and what was final quality like? Pricing seems competitive and (i believe) they do half/full canvas - but i might have imagined that.

I had one made a few years ago when they were less established. Entered my measurements online. Suit did not come out well - fit was off (that could have been my fault).

Suit itself was fully fused and fabric not great. If I recall correctly, it cost me about $500aud at the time.

For the same money I'd try make OTR work al a mj bale or similar.

For a little bit more I'd recommend Herman bros - prices start $800 half canvas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads