• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys or Ins agents (rear ended in parking lot)

dastig

Reaction score
Last Friday, a lady backed into my bumper in my work's parking lot. I was not in the car while it happened.

She came in and let me know that she had backed into my car. I got her info down, but she did not put her insurance company down, because she said that she would just pay me with a check.

She is a loyal client of ours and are very well to do. Because she was a well known client, I didn't think it was a problem not getting her insurance. Naive looking back on it.

I got an estimate on monday and let her know. She said it wouldn't be a problem and she would pay it. Later in the day and after talking with her husband, she said that I should getting another quote. She said if the other quote was cheaper, I would have to pay the difference if I chose to go to the original shop.

It is my understanding I have the right to go to any shop of my choosing. The estimate was reasonable and not extreme.

I just want to get this resolved as soon as possible. I do not want her to drag her feet. Can I make a claim through my insurance company saying this person hit me and they find her insurance company? I have here name, address, and phone number. Will I pay my deductible and they file a claim against her and get my deductible back?

It happened last Friday and it is now Wednesday.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dastig
Last Friday, a lady backed into my bumper in my work's parking lot. I was not in the car while it happened.

She came in and let me know that she had backed into my car. I got her info down, but she did not put her insurance company down, because she said that she would just pay me with a check.

She is a loyal client of ours and are very well to do. Because she was a well known client, I didn't think it was a problem not getting her insurance. Naive looking back on it.

I got an estimate on monday and let her know. She said it wouldn't be a problem and she would pay it. Later in the day and after talking with her husband, she said that I should getting another quote. She said if the other quote was cheaper, I would have to pay the difference if I chose to go to the original shop.

It is my understanding I have the right to go to any shop of my choosing. The estimate was reasonable and not extreme.

I just want to get this resolved as soon as possible. I do not want her to drag her feet. Can I make a claim through my insurance company saying this person hit me and they find her insurance company? I have here name, address, and phone number. Will I pay my deductible and they file a claim against her and get my deductible back?

It happened last Friday and it is now Wednesday.

Not sure if this part is accurate. Not an attorney but I've been in 3 not at fault accidents. When I dealt with State Farm they were very particular where I could take my car. Honestly, you should get a new car, this one will never be the same.

Edit: ******* and take her to court.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
You can take your car to ANY shop you want. Dont let your ins co. lie to you. If she wants you to fix it cheaply, and not the right way, i would just tell her youre going to submit a claim and let your insurance go after her. That may scare her into paying to fix it right. Keep in mind that you will most likely have to pay your deductible, but should get it back once/if your insurance co subrogates the damages. You may want to call your ins agen though

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Unless she is trying to cheat you out of a whole lot of money, I'd say these ^ are the operative words.

Unless he is the business owner, he should be more concerned with getting his **** fixed the right way, whether she pays, or the company pays the difference. Being a loyal customer isn't a free pass to weasel out of financial responsibility in an accident.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Why did I think you were referring to I.N.S. agents?

I think those guys are now know as I.C.E.

Although you can still get a table in a crowded Mexican restaurant here in town by hollering I.N.S.!

csoukoulis

Reaction score

I did too! LOL We have a LOT of unlicensed/uninsured illegal immigrants in these parts though.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Although you can still get a table in a crowded Mexican restaurant here in town by hollering I.N.S.!

LOL or get your ass beat, because you know if you mess with one bean, you get the whole burrito!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
...weasel out of financial responsibility in an accident.

She isn't trying to weasel out of responsibility. In fact, she's not doing anything that the OP's insurance company will probably do: find the low bidder.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1. I came in thinking I was going to read something about illegal immigrants.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
She isn't trying to weasel out of responsibility. In fact, she's not doing anything that the OP's insurance company will probably do: find the low bidder.

Difference being the Ins co. cant tell you where to take your car for repairs. This lady probably wants some mexican in a pickup to do it in his driveway with a slide hammer, 5 gallon bucket of bondo, and some duplicolor.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Difference being the Ins co. cant tell you where to take your car for repairs. This lady probably wants some mexican in a pickup to do it in his driveway with a slide hammer, 5 gallon bucket of bondo, and some duplicolor.

Yes they can; or, more accurately, they'll tell you you're going to get X amount of money to do the repairs and if your chosen shop is more expensive, you can pay the difference. Just like the OP's rich client is doing.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Yes they can; or, more accurately, they'll tell you you're going to get X amount of money to do the repairs and if your chosen shop is more expensive, you can pay the difference. Just like the OP's rich client is doing.
Wrong (in most states anyways). They will provide an estimate by having an adjuster come out. You may then take it to the shop of your choosing. At which point, if the damage exceeds their estimate, the body shop will get a supplemental payment from the insurance company to cover the difference. Depending on the Insurance company and the state you live in, you may also specify that only new OEM parts be used. EDIT: I misread your reply. You are correct about maybe being made to pay the difference, but they cant mandate where you get your car fixed. I guess we're both right
biggrin.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...if the damage exceeds their estimate, the body shop will get a supplemental payment from the insurance company to cover the difference. Depending on the Insurance company and the state you live in, you may also specify that only new OEM parts be used.

^Completely contrary to my experience. In both regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads