• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

WickedKlown

Reaction score
Gotcha will call and cancel the tailoring on the vest. Did do a search for Connery in a suit, seen one where I could clearly make out the waist band and a glimpse of his shirt.

klewless

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was asked by a relative to list a Harris Tweed overcoat for sale on that auction site.

I can not find a size tag anywhere on the lining. My question: is there a way to determine the size, based on the physical measurements?

Thanks!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Gotcha will call and cancel the tailoring on the vest. Did do a search for Connery in a suit, seen one where I could clearly make out the waist band and a glimpse of his shirt.

You will also find pics of him in a safari suit, short sleeved shirts, and possibly nylon underpants. I wouldn't recommend any of those either.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello

How much(a rough estimate) a parka/field jacket/quilted jacket/(insert casual jacket) can be taken in?
As much as sc or more/less? Anyone did that with favorable results?
I'm almost tall an almost thin sob, so problem is jackets are well fitted in the shoulders and nowhere else.
Would like to get a Barbour QJ but their cuts are a bit too wide for me.

Last edited:

astrocyte

Reaction score
Would you wear this to work?

Would knowing it's a Kiton lined 6-fold, (untipped with rolled edges) sway you one way or another?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you wear this to work?

Probably not. Would you?

Would knowing it's a Kiton lined 6-fold, (untipped with rolled edges) sway you one way or another? 
The mere fact that you ask the question is sort of troubling. So, let's turn our attention to 1950's television, since most of what one truly needs to know in life can be learned from 1950's television shows...

I dimly recall an "I Love Lucy" episode, where Lucy, after attending a fashion show with Ethel, insists that Ricky to buy her a "Paris Original" dress by some prominent designer. Ricky refuses, because the dress costs an outrageous amount of money. Lucy then engages in some childish scheme to coerce Ricky into giving in.

Eventually, Ricky and Fred get ahold of some potato sacks and horses' feed buckets, and pay a seamstress to fashion them into [horrible and ridiculous] dresses and hats, and sew the famous designer's label into them. They give them to Lucy and Ethel, claiming that they're designer originals.

Their wives are thrilled with the dresses and hats. After all, they're by a famous designer. Clearly, they're gorgeous and very sophisticated. (And at the end of the episode, it turns out the famous designer himself sees Lucy and Ethel wearing the potato sacks and feed buckets, and copies the designs for his new fall collection. But that's not really my point.)

Astrocyte, a potato sack is a potato sack, even if it bears a very expensive and honored designer label. Even if it's a lined 6-fold, with untipped rolled edges.

astrocyte

Reaction score
Probably not. Would you?
The mere fact that you ask the question is sort of troubling. So, let's turn our attention to 1950's television, since most of what one truly needs to know in life can be learned from 1950's television shows...

I dimly recall an "I Love Lucy" episode, where Lucy, after attending a fashion show with Ethel, insists that Ricky to buy her a "Paris Original" dress by some prominent designer. Ricky refuses, because the dress costs an outrageous amount of money. Lucy then engages in some childish scheme to coerce Ricky into giving in.

Eventually, Ricky and Fred get ahold of some potato sacks and horses' feed buckets, and pay a seamstress to fashion them into [horrible and ridiculous] dresses and hats, and sew the famous designer's label into them. They give them to Lucy and Ethel, claiming that they're designer originals.

Their wives are thrilled with the dresses and hats. After all, they're by a famous designer. Clearly, they're gorgeous and very sophisticated. (And at the end of the episode, it turns out the famous designer himself sees Lucy and Ethel wearing the potato sacks and feed buckets, and copies the designs for his new fall collection. But that's not really my point.)

Astrocyte, a potato sack is a potato sack, even if it bears a very expensive and honored designer label. Even if it's a lined 6-fold, with untipped rolled edges.

Your point is a good one, indeed. But the quality and construction of a clothing are not quite as arbitrary as sticking a label on a potato sack. Perhaps I should have left the brand name out of my question and only mentioned the objective details of construction. Quality/construction aren't the only thing, of course, and that is why I asked the question!

SuitsHarvey

Reaction score
Are no name ties from unknown internet sellers for 20 Euro(100% silk) okay or is the material - even it's silk - often really bad and it would be dumb to buy them? I don't expect a high end quality tie for 20 Euro, that's unrealistic, but can I expect quality which is okay and easily wearable for a young professional without looking ridiculous? At the moment I can't efford much more than 20/25 Euro for one tie, because I need of course more than one tie, more than one suit etc. In some months when I don't have to buy everything at the same time I can efford probably better ties and can change the cheap ties from time to time. I own a royalblue and a navy blue tie by the way(both plain). And I already read some threads and articles to got some more suggestions for ties which fit good for business, harmonize with different suit/shirt colors etc.), so I already have ideas for colors I should look for(1 maroon/burgundy, 1 blue grey/white striped for example). I almost have to build my wardrobe completely new for the new job.

Other advice are welcome.

And by the way: Thanks to @othertravel @mimo @ImTheGroom for helping me choosing the right colors for my suit(s) in the last few days. I decided to order a plain navy suit and a plain charcoal grey suit. A grey herringbone suit will follow hopefully as soon as possible.

Best regards.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try a thrift store near you. They often have many wearable ties and you could get 5-10 that way. Or try used ties on ebay.

Once you know your size for suits, you can pretty easily buy used ones on ebay and have them tailored. If you're penny pinched like you seem to be, then it's a great way to build up the basics. Most of my work closet has been filled this way.

Last edited:

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know the Persol sunglasses model that Marcello Mastroianni wore in "La Dolce Vita"? Thanks!

Last edited:

jimanchower

Reaction score
What sort of tie knot best compliments a OCBD shirt with a large collar roll? The tie I have in mind is smooth silk and fairly heavy.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It's a casual shirt, and the button down makes the collar gap small, so I'd say a lazy four-in-hand covers it. If you like symmetry, try a Pratt/Shelby - winder and triangular, but lies flatter which is useful when you have a thicker tie.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
What sort of tie knot best compliments a OCBD shirt with a large collar roll? The tie I have in mind is smooth silk and fairly heavy.

A four in hand knot. And it's "complements," not "compliments." Although if you tie the correct knot you should receive "compliments" for how dashing you look.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Your point is a good one, indeed. But the quality and construction of a clothing are not quite as arbitrary as sticking a label on a potato sack. Perhaps I should have left the brand name out of my question and only mentioned the objective details of construction. Quality/construction aren't the only thing, of course, and that is why I asked the question!

True. Let me put it another way: no, it's hideous.

:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads