• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents. Total noob here. Sacramento, CA.

I dropped off three shirts at the tailor yesterday. The cost was $28 per shirt just to get the sleeves and torso slimmed. Is that price high? It seems high to me, but I don't have anything to compare. Please let me know. Thanks!

Are you getting it taken in at the sides, or darted? That does not seem exceptionally high, but it is probably on the high end. But, in the future you can get MtM shirts for $60/ea. Check out the Luxire thread; I don't have any of their shirts, but I'm told they're quite nice. There are other places around that do MtM in that price range.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Around here (boston) darts are 10 per shirt.

WickedKlown

Reaction score
Last week I ordered a new pair of she and I got them today. Now the question is, are they chisel toe or square toe? Not looking for opinions on the shoes, as to whether you like them or not.

Last edited:

Terpo

Reaction score
Hello gents. Total noob here. Sacramento, CA.

I dropped off three shirts at the tailor yesterday. The cost was $28 per shirt just to get the sleeves and torso slimmed. Is that price high? It seems high to me, but I don't have anything to compare. Please let me know. Thanks!

Just keep in mind you can get MTM shirts from $59.

E TF

Reaction score

Black full brogue shortwing bal with a medallion = shoe without a purpose? Already own black cap toe bals and black shell bluchers. For some reason the Cleverleys just look nice to me.

It's a common shoe here in England, but I understand less so in the US. If you feel you need a third pair of black shoes and you like the look of these, I'd go for it. (If you find you don't end up wearing them and are 9.5US I'll buy 'em off you).

E TF

Reaction score

I am in the process of ordering a jacket MTM online (I know.. risky).

My biggest concern are the measurements, mainly the arm length. They want measurements from a good fitting jacket and show examples of how they want the measurements. I asked how much the added from my submitted measurements, and here is the response:

[COLOR=500050]"Slim fit we allow 2 to 2.5 inches of loosening depending on the measurements you give"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=500050]So, that being said, would you give exact measurements or subtract about 2'' from actual to allow for "loosening"? For example if the actual sleeve length is 35, would you give them 35 or 33?[/COLOR]

I asked for them to clarify, awaiting response. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks

I imagine they want you to supply body measurements, to which they will add 2 - 2.5 inches (i.e. if your chest measures 40", the coat chest will be 42").

E TF

Reaction score

Question the first- whole cut with medallion or quarter brogue captoe with medallion or semi brogue? Is there much difference in degree of formality between these? Are there any you wouldn't for work?

To my eye "floating" medallions (i.e. those not anchored by a cap or wing toe) always make a shoe look less formal. I'm not really a fan of them. I wouldn't wear one to work (I feel for some reason they're more a sort of "going out" shoe than a work shoe, if you know what I mean). I don't think there's much difference in formality between the other two and would happily wear either to work (not that I have that sort of job anymore).

DjangoV

Reaction score
Last week I ordered a new pair of she and I got them today. Now the question is, are they chisel toe or square toe? Not looking for opinions on the shoes, as to whether you like them or not.
My guess would be chisel toe. I am a shoe-noob however, so don't take my word for it.
Also I think a (semi)side-view would make it easier to tell.

Terpo

Reaction score

My biggest concern are the measurements, mainly the arm length. They want measurements from a good fitting jacket and show examples of how they want the measurements. I asked how much the added from my submitted measurements, and here is the response:

"Slim fit we allow 2 to 2.5 inches of loosening depending on the measurements you give"

So, that being said, would you give exact measurements or subtract about 2'' from actual to allow for "loosening"? For example if the actual sleeve length is 35, would you give them 35 or 33?

I asked for them to clarify, awaiting response. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks

If you already have shirts that have good fitting elements it is probably a better idea to use those for shirt measurements. Especially things like sleeve length should be easily determinable that way. I used this method for my first MTM shirt and worked out very well.

E TF

Reaction score

My biggest concern are the measurements, mainly the arm length. They want measurements from a good fitting jacket and show examples of how they want the measurements. I asked how much the added from my submitted measurements, and here is the response:

[COLOR=500050]"Slim fit we allow 2 to 2.5 inches of loosening depending on the measurements you give"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=500050]So, that being said, would you give exact measurements or subtract about 2'' from actual to allow for "loosening"? For example if the actual sleeve length is 35, would you give them 35 or 33?[/COLOR]

Thanks

If you already have shirts that have good fitting elements it is probably a better idea to use those for shirt measurements. Especially things like sleeve length should be easily determinable that way. I used this method for my first MTM shirt and worked out very well.

Yes this may be better, though it doesn't sound like what they're asking for. But either way make sure you're on the same page as the maker. If you give them measurements from an existing jacket, but they think you're giving them body measurements, disaster will ensue.

In any case you definately shouldn't be deducting 2" from anything. Especially not sleeve length.

Terpo

Reaction score
Any recommendation for button spacing on shirts if you open the top 2 buttons without a tie? How far down should the second and third button be?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads