• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how to get the wrinkles, and stretches, out of my linen sports coat? Half lined, fully canvassed. I'm guessing the wrinkles with a steamer. How about the stretches though? Like on the breast pocket.

kushburner

Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous. You'll be looking at this picture for the rest of your life, so don't be a tool.

It's your graduation. By all means wear something cheerful, but "playful" will just make you look like a douche. Dress beautifully, it's the beginning of the rest of your life. This is the "Classic Menswear" forum, dude, go look at the "What are you wearing right now?" thread for some ideas on how gentlemen of style actually dress (and ignore anyone in jeans, cargo pants, or no socks as part of their "classic" ensemble - we're back to douche land). There are some really well-dressed people over there, some of them just out of college like you. You don't have to try to be "fun" by wearing a stupid tie. If you're fun, it's in your personality. But if you're dressed like a dick, your personality might well be overlooked.
So camo tie = douche?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mega-douche.
I always thought all camo was kind of on the lame side... (to phrase it nicely since I know there's nice people here that do wear camo).

I never liked the idea of trying to style up something soldiers wear as a uniform in combat. Plus, the stuff people wear as camo is all the really lame looking stuff. Get the good looking stuff if you want to do it at all, Multicam. :)

tietherope

Reaction score
+1. Shoes are horrid and the shirt is too big. But your first attempt is a lot better than many others' attempts, so don't be discouraged.
Thanks for pointing out the shirt size. I went to the store and tried on a small shirt for the first time in my life and it fit. I had lost 25 pounds but was still buying my old size I guess.

I exchanged some recent purchases for a small size and they look significantly better.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thank you, but these shoes has no ones available in tan color.

Exactly. ;) But if it must be these, go blue.

So camo tie = douche?

Novelty ties in general, camouflaged anything. Yes, just don't. You're asking the Classic Menswear forum...so expect classic menswear to be the generally approved point of reference.

Kill the black shirt.

Not necessarily - depends on the shirt, your style, and I'd confine it to the evening. But I'm thinking Indigo would be nice. :)

Stumpus

Reaction score
I'm curious what the opinions are on a suit under 2000. As a graduation present, I think my wife may be willing to splurge (to our standards) and I would like it to be on a high quality suit. Right now I live in New York, and as I plan on leaving the State, I'd like to take advantage of the great shops around here.

So my question is, what are the opinions on the best suit I can buy in that price range in New York City.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
The last is fugly.

I agree, its a little weird how the vamp and the toebox are essentially one continuous line, but some of the florsheim imperials seem to exhibit this effect as well (from certain angles) and those shoes are held in moderate regard and priced higher

The finish does seem to be on the lower end of the scale, but if it is full on leather, cant you strip it with reno and put down your own finish?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
They're not the most beautiful things, but two points:

1. Get over the "corrected grain" fixation. It means a lot of different things, and there's a lot of variety in leathers. Even some decent makers use what is technically "corrected" (although they'd call it "polished" as opposed to plain "calf"), often offering both options in the same shoe. Some of it can be very hard-wearing and smart, just as some more natural finishes can still be on ****** leather. If you don't like a shiny finish, or do, it's up to you.

2. These shoes cost $100. At the very worst, they will be worth it. At best, they'll feel like good value.

So, ask yourself if you want $100 shoes, and if so, if you like the look of these. You're not risking a lot if you do, they might turn out to be quite serviceable, but at the same time, they're not going to be John Lobbs in disguise.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what the opinions are on a suit under 2000. As a graduation present, I think my wife may be willing to splurge (to our standards) and I would like it to be on a high quality suit. Right now I live in New York, and as I plan on leaving the State, I'd like to take advantage of the great shops around here.

So my question is, what are the opinions on the best suit I can buy in that price range in New York City.
Do you want Ready-to-Wear or Made-to-Measure? For RTW, I like Paul Stuart or Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.

Stumpus

Reaction score
Well, I've had pretty good luck with RTW. Most of the suits I've tried on fit me well right off the rack. So RTW is fine with me. I'd like to get something that's fully canvassed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads