1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

Navy pants only work well with non-blue mid-tone or lighter coloured jackets, and if they aren't of a sufficiently distinctive weave or lack variance in colour they tend to look like orphans from a navy suit. You may very well have several darker-coloured jackets that can be interchanged with a pair of lighter-coloured pants (being that most of the suits in your closet would be darker because that's mostly what stores sell these days as lighter-coloured suits are a hard sell) but you're likely only have a single lighter coloured jacket that you can match to your pants. Navy pants lack versatility in the standard man's wardrobe, and thus are advised against by anyone with more dark jackets than light ones. Also, since dark on bottom/light on top combination is rarer (due to the aforementioned more dark suits than light problem) people have a harder time wrapping their head around good combinations featuring dark pants.

If you have more light- or mid-coloured jackets than dark, you'll be able to wear navy pants effectively. However, seeing as your mid-coloured jackets will still be able to be paired with light grey or tan, navy pants are still nowhere near as effective and interchangeable.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

Is there an Alexander Mcqueen topic on this forum? Couldn't find it.
    If no, anyone who's familiar with the sizing of theyr blazers and suits? I checked Mr Porter and some seem to fit tts, other small

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Perhaps in the Streetwear & Denim section?

4. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

Fuck I never realized this topic was in the Classic menswear section, sorry

5. pnin22

pnin22 Well-Known Member

I have a BB woven silk tie that I recently ironed (layed flat under a sheet, using a bit of steam). It now looks flat but lifeless, and perhaps became more rigid. It's also hard to get a dimple in the knot. Any ideas?

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Hang it up and steam it - I don't really know what you were doing ironing a tie!

7. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

I just bought a Mantoni suit from Jeff & Justin at http://thewizardofaahs.com/ as an alternative to Jos A Bank.
    It's currently at the tailor, but bang for buck, they seem to be good suits. I should have found a suit with a 41 jacket instead of a 32 (shoulder alt's) but after the suit and all alterations I'll be in for just under $400.

8. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

Is it okay wear dark green pants in autumn ?
    I don't really know what colors are acceptable in what season. Obviously I wouldn't wear very bright colors in autumn/winter. Other than that you could help me out.

9. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

In reality, you can wear whatever color you feel like wearing anytime. But, to your question, yes it is perfectly fine.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  10. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

+1

11. rjsphd

rjsphd Well-Known Member

Who makes the Valentino line of men's suits? It seems to be more expensive than the Valentino Roma line.

12. ChuckinPA

ChuckinPA Member

Cuong Telecoms:

Hi everyone,

I have a question related to the sizing of suits and overcoat. I am normally have suits with size 36. Now, I am intending to buy an overcoat (online and have no chance to try that overcoat directly). So, my question is normally, what size the overcoat should be? It should be size 36 or it should be one size larger (size 38) to cover a suit. I don't want to try a wrongly overcoat and return it to the seller (or at least, reduce the ability to have to return that overcoat).

Reply:

Although you intend to purchase on line, nothing prevents you from wearing the suit into a local men's store and trying on topcoats. While there may be minor variations in fitting, you can browse SF and come up with a list of likely makers with similar styles (modern, ie slim with high armholes, classic, ie not slim, Ivy League, etc) , if not the actual maker you intend to purchase. Try them on and see what size works. You'll be more likely to get a good fit.

13. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Seems to me autumn is one of the best times to wear dark green.

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Overcoats are sized with the expectation that they'll be worn over a jacket. He'll be a size 36, in pretty much everything but super slim South Korean fashion cuts.

15. Colonel Forbin

Colonel Forbin New Member

I'm getting married soon and can't decide which shoes to wear. The options are walnut, bourbon, brown, and black. The ceremony and reception will be in a brewery, so it won't be a very formal affair. What do you think?

http://imgur.com/a/ekGnY

16. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

With that suit, the walnut for sure.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  17. Colonel Forbin

Colonel Forbin New Member

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the walnut was too light for that suit.

18. CruzAzul

Not at all, it's nice. Now get those trousers hemmed. :)

19. WorldWideWafflz

WorldWideWafflz Well-Known Member

My vote is for bourbon with a different tie.

20. CruzAzul

Now that I see it on a properly calibrated monitor, I agree that the bourbon is nice too. The brown and black are too dark.