• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
Is there any place to get a dress shirt in downtown LA? I'm here for a wedding (tomorrow evening), and the shirt I brought was ruined by the cleaners. Unfortunately I'm a little short on time and mobility, so any suggestions for things reasonably nearby would be much appreciated.

Essential

Reaction score
Below I have attached a picture of a tag on the back of my chinos. I don't like the label and want to get it removed. Will it cost a lot (DIY- friendly perhaps?) and will it look good if I take it off or will it be entirely messed up? Thanks in advance.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Below I have attached a picture of a tag on the back of my chinos. I don't like the label and want to get it removed. Will it cost a lot (DIY- friendly perhaps?) and will it look good if I take it off or will it be entirely messed up? Thanks in advance.

Just cut the stitching and take it off. The stitches may leave some marks in the fabric, though a bit of steam can help to close them up.

Essential

Reaction score
Just cut the stitching and take it off. The stitches may leave some marks in the fabric, though a bit of steam can help to close them up.

My mom said that would mess it up :p I'm taking it that she's wrong? The holes for the stitching are a bit small. Is there a good tool to loop into the holes? (P.S. I just saw my Dentek teeth cleaning kit and it seems that it might possible work though I'm not too sure)

Jay21

Reaction score
Are pockets on dress shirts a matter of preference or are there rules (i.e. should dress shirts have pockets?)

Jay21

Reaction score
I would like to get some input on what I should be buying next for my wardrobe.

Own now: (* = would like to phase out)
- Shoes
- AE Strand Captoe Walnut
- AE Neumok Snuff Suede
- *Random black loafers
- Suits (normally don't wear these jackets but wear the trousers)
- Macy's Alfani black with light pinstripes
- Gray suit from Rick's tailoring
- Pants
- Light gray, cotton from Express
- * Medium/dark gray, cotton from Express (not as long as I would like)
- Dark blue jeans, Express (not sure on these, they seem to sit weird) - usually on wear these on the weekends
- Shirts
- 1MX Express shirts in (solids): black, bright red, purple, dark green, gray - these are all a bit too tight, and I think they're too dark to wear with anything except casually with jeans
- BB white French cuff
- ModernTailor white French cuff
- Random brand reversible dark brown/black belt
- Guess steel watch

I don't wear a suit jacket or tie often. Partially because I don't think I look better with it (I wouldn't be surprised if I'm convinced otherwise reading here long enough) and partially because I work at an engineering company where I'm already the most dressed up.

Things I'm thinking about getting next:
- small check white/purple dress shirt with a button down collar - I want to have shirts that aren't as super-casual/inappropriate with dress pants as the solid Express shirts I have now. I wanted to get a button down collar because it seems popular here when not wearing a tie.
- a new belt, because I want one that is lighter to go better with my shoes and I would like one of those flat buckles (looks like a rectangle, don't know if it has a name)
- a light blue dress shirt with button down collar

Do others think I'm on the right track with this? Suggestions for something different?

Thanks!
I just started building my wardrobe and really like Charles Tyrwhitt shirts.

Here's some that aren't solids that you may want to consider:

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shirt...SWT|||||407,||||||||&sortBy=Price (Ascending)

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shirt...WIN|||||407,||||||||&sortBy=Price (Ascending)

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shirt...|407,||||||||&sortBy=Price (Ascending)&page=5

Archivist

Reaction score

Are pockets on dress shirts a matter of preference or are there rules (i.e. should dress shirts have pockets?)

Purely preference, though some maintain dress shirts should not have a pocket. That is a holdover from a time when most men wore vests. More formal shirts certainly should not have a pocket. Personally, I tend to get shirts with barrel cuffs with a breast pocket, and shirts with french cuffs without.

Namelesshan

Reaction score
I'm sorry .. this might sound stupid .. but where can i ask a question about john lobb shoes .. thank you in advance

doughboysc

Reaction score

Got a new shirt in the mail today.  TM Lewin St. James collar.  What do you all think of the fit?  Fresh out of the box, I starched it after I tried it on.

You would be better off with a skinny necktie 2.25" to 2.75" inches. And a little semi-spread as well. :)

robert in LA

Reaction score

My mom said that would mess it up :p I'm taking it that she's wrong? The holes for the stitching are a bit small. Is there a good tool to loop into the holes? (P.S. I just saw my Dentek teeth cleaning kit and it seems that it might possible work though I'm not too sure)

On a pair of cotton twill slacks like this the stitching holes really will not be visible after a washing or two. I am with you on taking the label off, BTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads