• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

where can i find a nice cheap tailored trench?? not too cheap but not burberry expensive.
I would EBay and get a Burberry. But go to a store that carries Burberry and try it on and dial in on your size. I would move fast. Trench coats tend to fetch higher prices as winter approaches.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you mean by "poor weather"? Dainite is great for mucking about in mud, terrible for ice and other slick, smooth surfaces. Dainite's also not very dressy, if you're looking for something to wear with suits and the like. You'd probably be better off with a non-studded rubber sole or Topy.

Calf can take a pretty good beating from the weather, but it doesn't like road salt. Suede's OK in rain but can be stained by oil and other gunk lurking in puddles/snow. Shell offers great durability, but you have to like the look.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by "poor weather"? Dainite is great for mucking about in mud, terrible for ice and other slick, smooth surfaces. Dainite's also not very dressy, if you're looking for something to wear with suits and the like. You'd probably be better off with a non-studded rubber sole or Topy.
Calf can take a pretty good beating from the weather, but it doesn't like road salt. Suede's OK in rain but can be stained by oil and other gunk lurking in puddles/snow. Shell offers great durability, but you have to like the look.

Thanks for that info, Doc. You may have saved me from myself as I didn't quite understand the best use for Dainite and would have likely worn these in icier conditions.

Now I know and...

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a fit question, i take a 10.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds, but i'm looking into the C&J Tetbury chukkas and the Churchs Ryder 3 chukkas. I am only finding them online in E width, would an 11 E width comparably fit me well? I do not have any place near me that i can go try on the shoes to check, but i would like to get some suede chukkas in a slick looking last. AE was not an option for me this time, i did not like the roundness of the Malvern in my size. Some help please?

Moocow9

Reaction score
I am going to a friend's wedding in a few months, and will be wearing a navy suit. Right now, the most dressy shoes I have are Alden #8 shell PTBs. Are these are acceptable to wear for this occasion?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am going to a friend's wedding in a few months, and will be wearing a navy suit. Right now, the most dressy shoes I have are Alden #8 shell PTBs. Are these are acceptable to wear for this occasion?
Not really; black cap-toes would be a much better choice. Of course, weddings can vary a lot, so it does depend what everyone else will be wearing.

Lear

Reaction score
I bottled out recently and kept with worsted. But I do so like the look and feel of heavy grey flannel suits. Problem: I'm a thigh rubber. Every trouser I have wears out in the crotch and thigh, while the rest of the garment still looks pristine. Everyone says that flannel has poor wear resistance. I've read the recent thread on this subject, but the cure sounds a little hit-and-miss. So, am I tempting fate here? Should I just stick with worsted?

Cheers

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where to buy some cheap office attire? May start interning at a financial firm.

I am thinking H&M?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a few fall/winter sweaters.

I don't have much other thick sweaters besides this one:

br858031-00vliv01.jpg

So to add another sweater which color would you guys recommend?

1_82729_FS.JPG

1_82735_FS.JPG

1_82735_LG_1.JPG

I actually have the blue one but should I get something that is more neutral in color like the brown one? I have the blue one right now, and i have one month left to return/exchange it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads