• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smellslikepoorpeople
What is the difference in construction between C&J Handgrade and Benchgrade shoes.

I notice that under the Handgrade section they state the shoes have Oak Bark Soles, what soles are the Benchgrade shoes using and are they of lesser quality.

Secondly how big is the difference in construction and materials quality between Loake and C&J - Living in Australia my only shoe options are what is available on the internet so these are the only two brands that I can realistically purchase. Loake is half the price of C&J, does that translate to half as good? etc.

Try this thread out. I think you might find some good information it.

http://www.styleforum.net/archive/index.php/t-3589.html

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
How would this color combination work?

Black shirt
Light grey suit
brown/tan belt and shoes?

Meh. Get a white shirt, navy tie, black shoes...then pair with the light grey suit. Also a stainless steel watch. Oh yeah!

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Where does one buy the oxford laces for wingtips in more colorful varieties (other than black/brown)? I'd prefer to buy it locally (I live in NYC), but the internet is fine too. It's for a pair of beater black wingtips. I was thinking electric blue or something of that sort.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Decided to spend some money I got for Xmas on a new wallet since my old one is on it's last leg. Found this Salvatore Ferragamo on a fantastic sale and I am liking the look of it. How is the quality of this brand compared to other luxury brands that make small leather good?

Also if keeping the thing super thin is a concern of mine should I reconsider that one for a double sided single piece leather Credit Card holder? Here is a random example of what I mean.

tsmurfenator

Reaction score
A belt has five holes, spanning several inches, so most guys probably fit into 2 or maybe even 3 belt sizes depending on while hole they use. When choosing a belt size, which hole should you be basing the fit on?

My opinion is using innermost hole makes one look thinner, but also leaves a bit much belt to wrap around and hang off which looks very tacky (although perhaps the belt can be shortened a bit to fix this). Using the outtermost one looks bad (fat/bulging), I also don't quite look how the middle one works (I tend to pull it too tight - and I think it still looks too short).

So my opinion is that a belt should be based on the innermost hole.
Is this correct? I've never seen any type of guideline/rule about this, other than 2 inches up from waist size, but being an odd waist size, I am right in between two belt sizes since they only ever come in evens.

slobdan

Reaction score
i just bought a chocolate brown velvet dinner jacket with black lapels.
what color of pants could i pair it with?
i will be attending new years eve party, nothing super formal with youngish crowd.
would black pants be acceptable?

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsmurfenator
A belt has five holes, spanning several inches, so most guys probably fit into 2 or maybe even 3 belt sizes depending on while hole they use. When choosing a belt size, which hole should you be basing the fit on?

My opinion is using innermost hole makes one look thinner, but also leaves a bit much belt to wrap around and hang off which looks very tacky (although perhaps the belt can be shortened a bit to fix this). Using the outtermost one looks bad (fat/bulging), I also don't quite look how the middle one works (I tend to pull it too tight - and I think it still looks too short).

So my opinion is that a belt should be based on the innermost hole.
Is this correct? I've never seen any type of guideline/rule about this, other than 2 inches up from waist size, but being an odd waist size, I am right in between two belt sizes since they only ever come in evens.

Try this.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slobdan
i just bought a chocolate brown velvet dinner jacket with black lapels.
what color of pants could i pair it with?
i will be attending new years eve party, nothing super formal with youngish crowd.
would black pants be acceptable?

Try this. I certainly agree with your inclination to wear black trousers. Your choice of jacket color has made your ensemble less formal from the start. Since you are attending a New Year's Eve party and the crown is young, I think your choice of a brown velvet jacket and black trousers is a good one.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Decided to spend some money I got for Xmas on a new wallet since my old one is on it's last leg. Found this Salvatore Ferragamo on a fantastic sale and I am liking the look of it. How is the quality of this brand compared to other luxury brands that make small leather good?

Also if keeping the thing super thin is a concern of mine should I reconsider that one for a double sided single piece leather Credit Card holder? Here is a random example of what I mean.

As you know Ferragamo is best known for shoes. They produce many other items - purses, fragrances, clothes etc - all of which are top quality. I would stick with the wallet and forgo the CC holder.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
As you know Ferragamo is best known for shoes. They produce many other items - purses, fragrances, clothes etc - all of which are top quality. I would stick with the wallet and forgo the CC holder.

Well the Ferragamo item is technically a CC holder too, it's just in more of a traditional flap over, wallet style.

Thanks for letting me know about the quality. It's a great deal so I will prob pick it up.

spagnutty

Reaction score
I have a pretty hard time finding shirts that fit, since I'm pretty thin, and have really long arms... 6' tall, 34" chest, 34" ideal sleeve measurement...
I recently picked up a couple of slim fit shirts from H&M. They're the best fitting shirts I've ever had. Not because they fit outstandingly well, just because every shirt I've ever own before these has been complete garbage.

My question is, should I have these shirts darted? I've never had a shirt darted before, but don't mind paying a little bit to have it done if it will be a worthwhile improvement. Here are a few pics...if they don't do a good job visually, let me know and I can try a different angle or something etc.

I'm really new to all this, so let me know if it's a good idea! Thank you everyone.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for some opinions regarding camelhair sweaters.

1. The manufacturers claim that the feel is like cashmere. Is that correct in your experience ?

2. Is camelhair itchy to the skin ?

3. What is the difference between 2 ply camelhair and 4 ply cashmere

4. What is your opinion of this camelhair sweater. I know it is too big in this photo but in the correct size.

Windsor.jpg

I love this Drakes cashmere sweater but it is too expensive for me at 650 GBP

ZC70.90084_003M.jpg

Thank you and best regards

johndough

Reaction score
I am looking for an overcoat that is charcoal, SB, has notched lapels, a fly front, and is heavy (Warm enough to handle walking 25 minutes/day in Boston winters). I am 5'6" with an 8" drop and am open to recommendations for both knee-length and mid-thigh length.

Given these constraints I am looking for the best bang-for-the-buck purchase. I am not brand-sensitive. I am looking for the least expensive overcoat that meets the above, is made of quality materials that will last, and fits well enough that it might be some simple alterations away from a great fit. If the answer is to look in thrift shops please provide the next best alternative. I will explore the thrift store option but knowing the cost of the next best alternative will help me decide how long I want to pursue the thrift store search.

Thank you for your help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads