• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noneshallpass
My trousers will be dark grey and my sport coat/blazer will prob be a shade of grey too. My shoe has to be black right?

And thanks for the suggestions.

*EDIT, I'm really liking the fifth avenue

Either black or dark brown would work.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
Formality of brown shoes at the office.

I work in a formal and conservative office I really want to get these Chestnut brown C&J's. But not sure what suit I could wear them with. When do you guys wear brown oxfords with suits?

Here are the shoes.

Medium or lighter grays. Any shade of navy except for the very darkest. Probably not what you want to wear for the most formal of occasions, but perfectly acceptable for normal business attire.

enginerd917

Reaction score
I didn't want to make a new thread for this, so here it goes:

I recieved a pair of Express - Producer Pants (Straight Leg) as a gift, and I must say I REALLY like the fit and style. The quality seems very poor, as expected, so I'd like to find similar pants made by another company. They are very very light weight, slim, low rise and fit almost perfectly but I'd rather not waste my money on inferior products.

What type or style of pants would these be? I know the producer comes in cotton/wool/synthetics and all blends of the three but would these be considered "dress pants" by normal companies?

false

Reaction score
What color shoes go with a navy blue pinstripe suit (medium navy with very thin white pinstripes)? In general, what color of shoe is the most versatile? I'm just starting out trying to build an business wardrobe (going to clients offices now-sales in Japan) and am looking for the most versatile color.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by false
What color shoes go with a navy blue pinstripe suit (medium navy with very thin white pinstripes)? In general, what color of shoe is the most versatile? I'm just starting out trying to build an business wardrobe (going to clients offices now-sales in Japan) and am looking for the most versatile color.
See post #899 in this thread.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
Formality of brown shoes at the office.

I work in a formal and conservative office I really want to get these Chestnut brown C&J's. But not sure what suit I could wear them with. When do you guys wear brown oxfords with suits?

I would discreetly check out what your more established co-workers and managers are wearing and take your cues from them. If they're rocking brown shoes with their suits you're good to go, but if they're all wearing black captoes, maybe think about getting the Belgraves in black (good choice btw). Most bosses won't ever notice your footwear, so long as you're not wearing flip-flops, but I once had a boss who noticed my french cuff shirts and oxblood shoes, all it took was one raised eyebrow and the next day I was wearing button cuffs and black shoes.

Originally Posted by enginerd917
I didn't want to make a new thread for this, so here it goes:

I recieved a pair of Express - Producer Pants (Straight Leg) as a gift, and I must say I REALLY like the fit and style. The quality seems very poor, as expected, so I'd like to find similar pants made by another company. They are very very light weight, slim, low rise and fit almost perfectly but I'd rather not waste my money on inferior products.

What type or style of pants would these be? I know the producer comes in cotton/wool/synthetics and all blends of the three but would these be considered "dress pants" by normal companies?

As above most bosses won't comment on your dress so long as it meets whatever dress code your company has. I think your pants are safely considered "office pants" by most normal standards. If you're looking for something higher quality try Incotex and Mabitex pants, you can find both on the B&S subforum here. You can also try our very own Howard Yount, who produces some awesome pants.

Originally Posted by false

Since you're in sales I assume you're in suits 100% of the time? A black captoe is the most "correct" choice from a "rules" standpoint. However if your office isn't super formal you should be able to get away with almost any color shoe. I personally love black shoes (I'm a heretic, I know) but I have one suit that's a few shades lighter than navy that I wear oxblood shoes with. Brown shoes also look really nice with navy. Also, brown can be used more easily with sportcoats. Check out the WAYWRN thread for some ideas about matching your shoes and suits.

DatDude

Reaction score
Well my story I wasnt a fan of hightops untill i found a cool looking pair today I have no clue
what do I wear with Hi Top shoes they are purple underneath as well as around the heel. Whhite and...
this is roughly my size.
6,1//186cm
178 pounds//75kg
african american

also i have another more general problem!
My new years resolution for next year is to dress better.
That includes a more "formal" style but i don't want it to be snobby formal is their such a thing casual semi formal street wear?

enginerd917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta

As above most bosses won't comment on your dress so long as it meets whatever dress code your company has. I think your pants are safely considered "office pants" by most normal standards. If you're looking for something higher quality try Incotex and Mabitex pants, you can find both on the B&S subforum here. You can also try our very own Howard Yount, who produces some awesome pants.

Thank you for the response but I think we are on different pages. I'm not concerned with their formality but would like to know what to look for when shopping for pants online (since that is where I do most of my clothes shopping) so I can find something similar made by another company (IE: very light weight, slim, low rise wool/cotton/etc..). When I look at "casual" labeled pants on various sites most are heavier weight cotton in more of a chino style or similar to dockers (which I do not want). Maybe it's my lack of having seen/worn ANY style of Incotex/Mabitex, but I can't quite pinpoint where these "producer pants" lie in the spectrum.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Thank you for the response but I think we are on different pages. I'm not concerned with their formality but would like to know what to look for when shopping for pants online (since that is where I do most of my clothes shopping) so I can find something similar made by another company (IE: very light weight, slim, low rise wool/cotton/etc..). When I look at "casual" labeled pants on various sites most are heavier weight cotton in more of a chino style or similar to dockers (which I do not want). Maybe it's my lack of having seen/worn ANY style of Incotex/Mabitex, but I can't quite pinpoint where these "producer pants" lie in the spectrum.
Personally, Express Producer trousers are some of the nicest mall brand trousers you can get. And considering that they often go on sale for very cheap (sometimes up to 50% off), I find them to be perfect workhorse trousers. I generally only buy the wool versions, but I do have a pair of their cotton ones. Their cut is extremely generous yet is also slimming at the same time, even in larger waists, which seems to be a problem for trousers that are far more expensive (not all of them of course, just many of them). I think H&M and Zara are the only other ones that would come close in that price range and offer similar fit. You're right in that many online trousers look like chinos or off-brand Dockers. Part of my problem is similar to yours; I shop mostly online and most of the trousers online are pleated in some way, and I prefer flat front/no-cuff trousers.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't check out the MC side often but I have a question that I figured I better ask here so that I don't have to rely entirely on the advice of one of the mediocre tailors in my city..

I bought a used blazer and the sleeves are around 1" too long (possibly more). The three buttons on the wrist start at 1.5" from the cuff. I'm worried that if the tailor takes too much off the sleeve that it will look odd with the buttons so close to the cuff. What is typically done here? Thanks

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My advice would be to find a good online store with no hassle returns and overbuy, meaning do your best to select items that will work for you but also buying much more than you want so that among the mix you are sure to find something you like. Yoox is great for this and I spend hours browsing and narrowing my results. I've been doing this for maybe 4 months and I've gotten a lot better at selecting items sight unseen. I'll typically spend a few hours browsing, max out my cart at 7 items, and keep only what I'm sure I'll be able to actually incorporate into my wardrobe (which is another thing that you get better at doing this sort of thing). For me, online shopping is a lot easier when I can put out X dollars more than I'm actually looking to spend to account for the inevitable returns when dealing with items sight unseen. Looking for places that cover some of the shipping cost is helpful as well (currently, Yoox has free shipping out and $6 returns if you use the prepaid label.) I hope this helps. Cheers

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
I don't check out the MC side often but I have a question that I figured I better ask here so that I don't have to rely entirely on the advice of one of the mediocre tailors in my city..

I bought a used blazer and the sleeves are around 1" too long (possibly more). The three buttons on the wrist start at 1.5" from the cuff. I'm worried that if the tailor takes too much off the sleeve that it will look odd with the buttons so close to the cuff. What is typically done here? Thanks

Unless there are true buttonholes cut for the buttons, it's pretty easy to remove them and sew them back on further up the sleeve.

Bubuchnik

Reaction score
I was wondering what type of shoe would work when i needed to wear a blazer/coat for casual night outs, and the normal jeans+t-shirt combo for uni and day to day use?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads