• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Getzione

Reaction score
Is there anything a tailor can do to tighten the hips on a dual vented SC?

G.

acconrad

Reaction score
can you wear a black overcoat w/ a navy suit?

Reaction score
I am trying to "post" to get some information about some wool challis ties for sale by a styleforum member. I don't know much about "posting".
Thanks,
CBY

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
Is there anything a tailor can do to tighten the hips on a dual vented SC?
Do you mean take in the sides of the jacket through the hips? If so, yes, a tailor can do that.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acconrad
can you wear a black overcoat w/ a navy suit?
If you walk down the street in any northern city during the winter, you'll probably see about 85% of the overcoats are black, so yes, you can do it. If you have a choice of overcoat color, though, I would go with dark gray or camel because either of them work better than black.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Do you mean take in the sides of the jacket through the hips? If so, yes, a tailor can do that.

Basicly make the jacket 'skirt' (is this called quarters?) narrower.
I have a SC thats abit wide at the hips.
How would this be done? Keep in mind, its dual vented.
Btw, thanks for the quick answer dah.

G.

sanadan

Reaction score
I am new to higher end clothing - how do I know if these pants are any good or not? Is there a way to tell from the description given if these are a good deal or not? I like the color and they are 100% wool flat front, but I don't know anything else.

Should I only be looking for certain brands or can you use a variety of brands?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MENS-CHARCOAL-120...item3ca6f0d1f0

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sanadan
I am new to higher end clothing - how do I know if these pants are any good or not? Is there a way to tell from the description given if these are a good deal or not? I like the color and they are 100% wool flat front, but I don't know anything else.

Should I only be looking for certain brands or can you use a variety of brands?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MENS-CHARCOAL-120...item3ca6f0d1f0

It's more or less like any other product. If you are familiar with the manufacturer and know that he uses quality materials and construction, then you can recognize his brand and be reasonably comfortable that his product will be good. If you are not familiar with the manufacturer but are competent enough in the area of higher-end clothing to recognize quality clothing when you see or feel it, then you can try getting close enough to see or feel it. If you know neither the manufacturer nor anything about higher-end clothing, you can't really know.

With respect to tailored clothing, there are essentially three criteria: quality of materials, quality of construction, and fit. Since you can't try on the trousers and almost no measurements are listed for them, you can't know if they will fit. From the description, there's nothing that leads me to believe the fabric is anything special. I've never heard of the manufacturer, so I'm not inclined to think these are anything other than typical cheap, no-name trousers. I would pass.

In general, if you are new to higher-end clothes, you probably want to buy stuff in person until you've built up sufficient knowledge to know what stuff online is good and what is not.

adidasaj

Reaction score
Comme des Garcons sweaters or cardigans...

Size up one or two?

They say to size up one...

My only other experience with a Japanese designer is Evisu, and their t-shirts fit me about 1 to 1.5 sizes small. So where I may buy a BBC t-shirt in Medium for baggy, even Small for tight.... with Evisu, Medium is almost too small, and even a Large is very tight going over my head and feels barely a medium around my arm. Fits great but I could likely pull off even an XL Evisu t-shirt, where as XL from BBC would be huge.

Most of my cardigans and sweaters are medium.... I'm 6'1 though so I don't mind a comfy large, too. Depends if I'm wearing fitted trousers or relaxed jeans.

So I'm not sure if I should go Large or Extra Large with Comme des Garcon.

p.s. tips for buying?

I have 2 options:

Tres Bien Shop website
girlfriend going to Taipei in December (CdG is super popular there and she thinks she can save me at least $50 after you consider lower price, no shipping, etc)

but I would like to find a good option other than #2 because it's only available once or twice a year for us, and I'd like to have a good avenue to get CdG more reliably

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasaj
Comme des Garcons sweaters or cardigans...
You'll probably have better luck with those labels in the Streetwear & Denim forum.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
Basicly make the jacket 'skirt' (is this called quarters?) narrower.
I have a SC thats abit wide at the hips.
How would this be done? Keep in mind, its dual vented.
Btw, thanks for the quick answer dah.

I'm still not sure what you mean. The jacket, whether single or double-vented, has side seams all the way to the bottom that can be taken in to make the jacket narrower. Some things such as the shape of the skirt (flared or cupped) can't really be changed, though.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
If you walk down the street in any northern city during the winter, you'll probably see about 85% of the overcoats are black, so yes, you can do it. If you have a choice of overcoat color, though, I would go with dark gray or camel because either of them work better than black.

I wouldn't consider camel for a first coat. You aren't wearing a camel coat to a funeral or plenty of other more formal events.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads