• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

zerostyle

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a "3 roll 1" suit/blazer?

I just saw a J Press blazer at the local thrift store that was 3 button, but the 2 top buttons were on the underside of the roll, making it essentially look like a 1-button jacket.

Anyone ever seen this before?

Also, it was 100% wool, but the wool looked and felt "fuzzier" than regular wool. What is the name for this?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Creed fragrance is always being sprayed at Bergdorfs, and introduced as "their best selling fragrance"

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ewc
So I thought I'd get a suit made up on a recent trip to Hong Kong late last year. I walked into the store, armed with most of the basics this forum dishes out to newbies. I opened my mouth to speak to the guy, and...the next thing I knew, I was back in my hotel room with a suit bag hanging in the closet. Supposedly, ten days had passed. And, supposedly, a couple of fittings as well.

How did I do? Besides the jacket sleeves, I can't help but shake the feeling it's a little too boxy. Maybe something about the quarters being too closed?

YUiJE.jpg
mgg5Y.jpg

Would appreciate some comments before I took it to the tailors about those sleeves.

It could probably do with a wee bit of waist suppression. Sleeves can be taken in by .5". Quarters are also too closed but a good tailor can fix that.

In the future, your shoulders could probably extend out .25" each way to give the jacket more shape. Also see if they can do a bit more structure in the shoulders too.

Who was the tailor?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by corona951
I'm a pretty fashion forward guy but I bought this navy blue Burberry trench and nothing I try seems to go! The trench itself is short length and really dark navy, I want to wear it kinda business casual like with some slacks and button up....etc.... Could even go with a suit. Could you give me some slack/shirt/cardigan combos as well as suit/shirt combos?

BTW I'm not a skinny guy but I'm not enormous either : 6'1, 190 lbs, shirt size: L

Thanks guys in advance .

Navy is a neutral so it should go with everything. The problem is that it looks too dark so what you need are lighter colors to really make it pop.

I suggest a fire engine red V neck, white shirt with khaki chinos. Either that or try a pastel yellow or lime green V neck. No dark colors (e.g. forest green, burgundy, black).

If you're wearing a suit, then definitely mid grey. Actually, only mid grey.

RW1982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Quarters too closed. Buttoning point is a bit high. Boxiness or not is really subjective, on average it's fine. There is a slight break under the elbow of the left arm, is it always there?
Not too bad, I would adjust the left pitch a little as well, unless you are extending the arm a little unintentionally. I would consider reducing the pant leg a bit, it seems that it folds a bit too much at the back. I would also adjust the shoulder pads a bit, take in the waist of the coat, and shorten the sleeves.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a business-casual lightweight coat for spring/fall.

Typical work outfit is a button-down dress shirt + medium gray slacks.

Should I just go with black/charcoal? Other ideas?

Under $150 please preferrably under $100.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOJANGLES1594
Hi im in highschool and looking for a simple concert dress clothes i got the shirt and pants picked out im just not sure what kind of tie, shoes, belt, and socks i should wear.
this is what i have so far...
VLC6980-DUSBLHE_D1.jpg

KRW0353-DARKH_D1.jpg

Brown shoes, brown belt. Perhaps a desert boot or chukka. Any tie should be slim and dark, but if that shirt does not button fairly snugly around your neck, do not wear a tie.

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milkisgood
What is a good shirt color for a dark grey pinstripe suit? This will be worn as business professional for interviews or similar events.
Don't get tricky for an interview outfit. White or light blue, no stripe or pattern. There is a reason these are wardrobe basics.

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Brown shoes, brown belt. Perhaps a desert boot or chukka. Any tie should be slim and dark, but if that shirt does not button fairly snugly around your neck, do not wear a tie.

Bag the tie unless it is a requirement.

IsteRed

Reaction score
yes it is a requirement to have a tie would a solid black one be ok? also i looked up the chukka boots and didnt really like them would these be ok?....
GLO0004-CSGK.jpg

or
GLO0121-GRA.jpg

Well i don't think black tie will be good with brown belt and shoes,i'm not a tie expert but i think solid dark navy or dark purple will work.Regarding the shoes,no I wouldn't wear those,you are looking for classic clothes in skating/streetwear clothes brands,that won't work,just MHO.

corona951

Reaction score
Hi im in highschool and looking for a simple concert dress clothes i got the shirt and pants picked out im just not sure what kind of tie, shoes, belt, and socks i should wear.
this is what i have so far...
VLC6980-DUSBLHE_D1.jpg

KRW0353-DARKH_D1.jpg

Well there's a lot of things you could do here

First choose your shoe colour- you could do black or brown but a cognac/tan burnished brown colour.
You could even do a boat shoe in brown

Belt- you could match your shoes or go with a striped/ patterned belt in blue/red.

Ties- yellow tie, navy striped tie, red tie, or any combo there of plaid blue/red etc...

You could also add a navy blazer/sport coat or cardigan

Or a gray cardigan

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to find the answer to this in threads, and it's not a big question:

I'm thinking of trying to go MTM/bespoke for my dress shirts. My usual B&M does them and I'm around Q Custom Clothier. Is there usually a minimum order for such things (at the very least not to be rude)? I saw that Despos has a 4 shirt minimum.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So can someone explain the size differences between Zegna shirt labels?

My old large shirts -- labeled 'Ermenegildo Zegna' and 'medium', 'large', etc.-- seem almost TTS. My new shirts, which feagure the full 'Ermenegildo Zegna' name, but with a large gray 'Z' behind it, are mediums -- but are either as big or bigger than my old large shirts. I thought I was buying the new, slimmer 'Z Zegna' line, but I see now that that label doesn't feature the designer's full name.

I'm not finding this in the searches. Have I exhausted the labels, or will I encounter more if I'm buying used or vintage? Is there a thread or web site? Ack!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to figure out socks for a wedding in a few weeks (not my wedding).

Wearing a navy cotton suit, white pocket square with black border, black pindot tie, white OCBD, and a pair of brown dress shoes. I generally wear charcoal gray socks with everything, so I don't have anything else other than this. I don't mind fun socks, and hopefully will be playing down the formalness of the fit a bit so doesn't have to be i-Banker status.

Any advice is appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads