• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does it look like the leather on the side here is creased or starting to rip?

momomato

Reaction score
Hello , I`m new here. I have been wondering about big ( meaning portly ) men`s suits and sport coats. Online shops give chest measurement only, but when your waist is bigger than your chest how will the jackets fit ? Are there shops which have suit jackets, sport coats and blazers like that, meaning waist being bigger than chest ?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it look like the leather on the side here is creased or starting to rip?

It looks like those shoes are beat up and have had something foul done to them with polish -- either gross black polish on cheap burg calf, plus too much flash, or gross red dye. They probably didn't fit the original owner so well.

Don't buy. If you must buy used shoes, buy better ones than those.

Also, dude, I know I suggested turning things down, but that tie is a little boring, and looks kind of cheap.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi!

What do you think of the versatillity of brown ties? I've been thinking of acquiring one as I've got a lot of navy ties and some basic grenadine ties. Now I don't need them, but the question is, should such coloured ties (99% of the time) be "reserved" for more rustic casual wear, like tweed?

Examples of the style below;

http://yellow-hook-necktie-co.mysho...fall-2013/products/hot-cocoa-flannel-six-fold

http://www.mrporter.com/product/373929

I'm a big fan of brown ties. Very versatile and under-appreciated color. Both of those choices would be great.

Mid length? single breasted preferably, wool, navy blue, or tweed? something I can wear casually. A list of forum favorites outerwear brands would be great too.

Sorry about that, I'm usually lurking around the SWD side of this forum, but if it ain't designer, I doubt I'd get any advice there. 

You might try suitsupply.

It looks like those shoes are beat up and have had something foul done to them with polish -- either gross black polish on cheap burg calf, plus too much flash, or gross red dye. They probably didn't fit the original owner so well.

Don't buy. If you must buy used shoes, buy better ones than those.

Those are Florsheim Royal Imperials, which are outstanding quality. Creased, yes (not cracking, I don't think), but get some trees in 'em, get 'em nicely conditioned/polished by a pro, and they'll be fine.

ovlov

Reaction score
Hello , I`m new here. I have been wondering about big ( meaning portly ) men`s suits and sport coats. Online shops give chest measurement only, but when your waist is bigger than your chest how will the jackets fit ? Are there shops which have suit jackets, sport coats and blazers like that, meaning waist being bigger than chest ?

Sorry mate. If you're a big fat ***** like myself, you really shouldn't be suit shopping online. It's just too big a risk. Unfortunately it seems like tubby gents aren't expected to wear anything other than sacks. The only RTW suits I've found that even come close to properly fitting are from the cheap as junky places that sell nooname and house brand. (i'm not in america so I don't know who they would be the equivalent of there). For now I've resigned myself to going the MTM route. You can generally get MTM suits an coats from local tailors fro not that much more than of the rack anyone once you factor in tailoring costs.

ovlov

Reaction score
4th4.jpg

Help! I want these babies so bad. But I'm still building my wardrobe. How easy are Navy Shoes to match? would they go with khakis? standard charcoal or naples blue suits?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are Florsheim Royal Imperials, which are outstanding quality. Creased, yes (not cracking, I don't think), but get some trees in 'em, get 'em nicely conditioned/polished by a pro, and they'll be fine.
Florsheim Royal Imperials are nice shoes. Those have been ridden hard, and are likely to be so broken in to somebody else's foot that they'll do nobody else any good. If they're that color in real life, then it's even worse.

gerbilunit

Reaction score
Found this really cool Pendleton trench but I'm not sure if it is real. Any thoughts? First thing that stuck out was the stitching on the label was oft but the leather patch made me second guess whether it was real. Would Pendleton do this type of lining design?

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florsheim Royal Imperials are nice shoes. Those have been ridden hard, and are likely to be so broken in to somebody else's foot that they'll do nobody else any good. If they're that color in real life, then it's even worse.

Yeah, seller confirmed that those are little rips. No me gusta.

And sad that you don't like the tie. I think I just need to find something better to pair it with it needs a little contrast with the jacket, else I can wear it with a sweater/sweatervest over it.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And sad that you don't like the tie. I think I just need to find something better to pair it with it needs a little contrast with the jacket, else I can wear it with a sweater/sweatervest over it.
It's kind of flat, and a bit boring with what else you had. I love a gray suit with a navy tie, or a navy jacket with black, but navy with gray tie doesn't interest me.

SmileForum

Reaction score
It's okay.
How about a duffel coat?

Brooks Brothers has a one which is mid-length, wool, navy blue, and suitable for casual wear. It'll set you back around $700. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Duffl...var_ML00281_Color=NAVY&contentpos=3&cgid=0222

L.L. Bean's got a duffel coat of their own, also meeting your qualifications, for less than half the price of the Brooks offering, at http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78982?feat=506678-GN3&page=authentic-wool-duffel-coat

And for half of that, there's JAB's duffel coat, at http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101966

Not that a duffel coat's the only way to go, of course.
Ahh I just realized exactly what type of coat I was looking for, an over coat
baldy[1].gif
Not really into the horn fasteners on duffle coats.

Thoughts on these?
http://www.mrporter.com/product/379819
http://www.mrporter.com/product/388390
http://www.mrporter.com/product/372434
http://www.mrporter.com/product/381019

Are these brands reputable?

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's kind of flat, and a bit boring with what else you had. I love a gray suit with a navy tie, or a navy jacket with black, but navy with gray tie doesn't interest me.

Fair enough. I have a jacket or two I think would pair better with those two ties.

In any event, I've now come to the conclusion that most of the jackets I own that I thrifted are a bit off (mostly a bit big). Luckily, they're not comically large so I can get away with wearing them and not look stupid. I also own 3 suits (2 regular and 1 round collar) that I bought OTR in India and then had altered by the tailors in store, so those fit pretty well.

New goal: every new item of clothing should be of SF approved fit quality!

Xtra

Reaction score
I would dare say brown ties are more versatile. They pair well with both navy and grey suits, while a navy tie can sometimes be difficult to pair with navy suits (depending on the shades).

OK, I will not be put off by that factor. I have only two sutis, but they are navy and mid grey, so that should work well together.

I'm a big fan of brown ties. Very versatile and under-appreciated color. Both of those choices would be great.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it!

plainnerd

Reaction score
Well I went with the matching tie, also got a matching pocket square. Not the best combination together, but I like the color and material, so it'll be nice having a set.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics