1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. estranged

estranged Well-Known Member

Good info, but they would look weird with jeans? I use jeans 99% of the time actually, talking about very dark blue, not distressed jeans.
    Fair enough, in general I work at big 4 and there is no need to wear a suit at my department, so I wear jeans full time. Maybe I should get some other kind of pants as well. But that said, which type of leather shoes would be best with jeans or other more casuals pants?

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

I seldom wear jeans, but with casual pants - chinos, cords, etc. - I often wear penny loafers.

Not that you couldn't wear 'em with jeans, though.

1 person likes this.
  3. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I wear jeans regularly when not at work, just never denim ones - only different colours and in general I prefer chinos anyway.

But to answer the gentleman's question: brogues or boots. Depending on the fit of your jeans. If they're more tapered, a more elegant oxford brogue works surprisingly well. For a straighter cut, a chunky derby/blucher or a chukka boot is excellent. And a boot cut is self-explanatory: work boot styles, tankers, stitched vamps, dealer boots...go for thick soles and round toes.

For all of them, avoid anything highly polished, and go for brown, burgundy, tan, or even something more unusual like green or red. Texture really helps too: scotchgrain leathers, rough suede. Just make the shape and weight of the shoe or boot proportional to the cut of the jeans, and go for some colour contrast. Remember blue and orange are opposite in the colour spectrum, so tans and browns really pop against indigo.

1 person likes this.
  4. justonemore

justonemore Well-Known Member

Exactly... Nothing shown really goes well with jeans. A couple are for trousers/SCS. A couple for suits. I wouldn't take any of the 4 as an across the board shoe. Although I disagree with your thought that the double monks won't go with a suit, I myself would never pair them with jeans.

If you're looking for a wide spectrum shoe perhaps a full strap low vamp tassel loafer would do the trick. It's certainly a sporty look and (most likely) not appropriate in more formal situations...but I'll pull it off every once in awhile.

Burgundy is a very versatile color and goes with most anything but black. It is more casual than black...but outside of serious business/formal wearI tend not to wear black shoes all that often and the majority of my collection is burgundy.

I'll pair these Alden # 8 Shell full strap tassels with a suit every now and then. You could take them down to jeans as well. They're not to everyone's taste and I wouldn't wear them with the most formal suits for the most formal occasions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

bump

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Re dress shoes and jeans: The only welted "shoe" I would wear with jeans (though I don't own a pair of jeans), would be a boot of some sort. I think you would be much better off with a nice looking sneaker, rather than an ultra casual dress shoe. I also have sensitive feet, and would never subject myself to long walks in a leather soled shoe.

That's not to say that lots of people don't wear dress shoes with jeans, I just always find the look jarring.

7. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

8. Konstantinos343

I don't know what type of measurement this is, but my chest perimeter is 100 cm.

9. Axf4

Axf4 Member

Hi,

I want to buy a tie and pocket square combo for my little brother as an high school graduation present. He bought a black (opposite to my recommendations) slim fit suit.

I decided a white PS would work best and already ordered that and this navy tie http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/tiessub/navy-tie/D161051.html from suitsupply. Now I started to think that maybe the navy won't work with the black suit. Also, the ordered might not go through as there was only one left.

He'll be wearing a white shirt with the suit and has Caucasian skin tone. His note overly pale though.

So, should I order another tie or will this one work? I want to order from suitsupply as it's a bit better quality and they deliver to Sweden fast. Feel free to recommend alternatives from here http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/ties or anywhere else with a budget of 40€.

10. Konstantinos343

Hey, man! I would be glad to help. If he really needs to wear that black suit, I would recommend a red tie. I am very familiar with SuitSupply. I actually know every product they have. lol

So, this would work just fine:

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/ties/re...=color&prefn2=tieWidth&prefv1=Red&prefv2=8 CM

It's at 49 euros, but I think it's worth it. It is one of the few ties I like from them.

1 person likes this.
  11. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

Personal view, he's already got a pretty high contrast outfit with a black suit and white shirt. I'd avoid a dark tie for two reasons - one being further increasing the contrast and two being it looks too much like a uniform. I'd probably avoid a white PS for the same reason

I'd consider either a grey tie (bridging the gap between the black and white) or getting something with a neat pattern / repp that will bring something to the outfit.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/ties/light-brown-tie/D152113.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/ties/light-brown-tie/D152142.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/ties/brown-tie/D152112.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc (maybe too dark - not many neat patterns on there which have a fairly sedate base)

There don't seem to be any plain grey ties on there - closest I can get is:

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/tiessub/light-brown-tie/D161008.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc

1 person likes this.
  12. Konstantinos343

The cream colour tie will be so close to the shirt's colour though.

13. estranged

So something like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    would be much more versatile and better with jeans or business casual outfits than the shoes i showed previously?

Well but areb;t the dark brown brogues I showed are leaning towards casual side? It's dark colors, brogue and derby, so it's far from formal shoe. But apparently it is still not casual enough for jeans? Regarding tassel loafers - i just don't like the looks. I much more prefer the shoes i posted.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Joenobody0

I'd think carefully about the monks. I realize SF likes them, but I've worked a lot of places, and been to tons of conferences and monks are few and far between. Depending on where you work and your level of seniority, you run the risk of being "that guy". It's important to realize that the world outside of SF may not perceive fashion choices like the do. With that said, the suede monks wouldn't be too jarring with jeans but wouldn't work well with any sort of suit IMO.

There was a funny meme on here a million years ago that went something like this - a guy in a tweed patch pocket odd jacket and cords approaches a woman in a bar. She says "nice suit", to which he replies "clearly this isn't a suit, look at the casual fabric and three patch pockets, indicating that this is an informal jacket made for the country."

In reality people don't care about this stuff, and appearing too "into it" can make you seem like a weirdo.

15. cakv

cakv Well-Known Member

Too true :]

16. justonemore

justonemore Well-Known Member

The thing is that there is a whole spectrum of shoes beyond the "formal" & "informal" classifications. Brown being less formal than black doesn't equate to brown being always informal. Just because a derby doesn't go well with suits doesn't mean it goes well with jeans. Dark colors are usually considered more formal so I'm not sure why you mentioned dark with informal.

Understood as to tassels. They are not for everybody...I didn't grow into them for quite awhile but at the moment I have 5 in my collection.

Perhaps a boot might suit your purpose? Something like a Chelsea or Jodhpur

In the end get what you're most comfortable wearing

1 person likes this.
  17. Joenobody0

RE derbys with suits: I have a super high instep and a narrow foot. I've never found a closed lacing shoe I can tie that wasn't two sizes too large. I wear derbys exclusively with suits. Unless you wear your pants super short, I doubt anyone would notice - it's not like they have two huge shiny buckles on them.

18. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

99.9% of the people that I'm around wouldn't know the difference. If you are good with them, more power to you.

19. Joenobody0

I'm OK - always on the lookout for a balmoral that fits. When I go bespoke, I'll get a few made up. Such is the life of a man born with a ballerina's foot.

20. estranged

Quote:
    Not sure why i mentioned dark color huh. Now that I think about it - if i show light brown color shoes, you guys say it's not versatile, on the other hand, it's more casual. Dark brown, is more formal, and more also more versatile so I guess that's why I am aiming dark brown - i can pull that off with more outfits.

Boot is definitely something I want to buy, but maybe for fall/winter season. I am a big fan of this design:
    [​IMG]

But they are quite expensive at 300 eur, and it's something I would be wearing more casually. Now I want to get several pairs of very different contrasting shoes, to have versatile wardrobe. So far I got these shoes:
    [​IMG]
    But I can't wear them everyday, so want to buy 1-2 pairs or some other versatile shoe.