• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cheyrou

Reaction score
Question:

Is the shopping good in Paris/Marseille for someone looking to spend 500-800 usd? If so what places should I look for?

baba booey

Reaction score
Need a suit and do not wear one for work or have much use for one outside of the occasional special event. Any opinions on the Austin Reed's (made in USA by BB I believe) or Mantoni's on overstock? Anything better in the $200-$300 price range? I have been scouring the buying/selling section and cannot locate anything. I want a 2 button with flat front pants in a solid navy or medium grey. I would prefer to spend less than $300. I could justify spending more if I would get more use from the suit, but I am afraid I will not. Any help is much appreciated!

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a London tailor to get an idea of pricing for suits. Starting at £900 for MTM, £2200 for bespoke. Do these prices sound good for a non Savile Row tailor?

What would be the equivalent prices for a tailor on the row, not the most expensive, but something like Norton & Sons?

wcarson89

Reaction score
where could i buy an inexpensive(under $25) pink linen pocket square?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone reasonably established at this forum (i.e. not going to **** me and disappear
laugh.gif
) who is willing to proxy something from Gilt for me next week please PM me? It's a small lightweight item, under $100, should be a very simple transaction. I'm not subscribing to this thread because other people have other questions, so please Private Message me. I'm in Ontario, Canada, so the northeast US would be ideal -- lowest shipping costs -- but I'll take whatever I can get. Cheers. (I will edit this post once I've found someone, to avoid wasting anybody's time.)

daruma

Reaction score
What does 2-roll-3 mean in terms of suits? I know what 1/2/3 button suits are, but have no idea what the _-roll-_ is...

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
Went to a London tailor to get an idea of pricing for suits. Starting at £900 for MTM, £2200 for bespoke. Do these prices sound good for a non Savile Row tailor?

What would be the equivalent prices for a tailor on the row, not the most expensive, but something like Norton & Sons?

I don't have any first-hand experience, but I believe the prices you quote are lower than what you would find on the row. I did stop in at A&S last spring while traveling through London for business and they showed me their price sheet. I don't recall offhand what the exact figures were, but I think a sport coat in one of their standard wool fabrics was 2500?

AE7

Reaction score
May I please ask fellow SF members about the make of this (supposely) RL suit? Cheers! PS On the other photo it has the "Made in Italy" tag inside the jacket.
003.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheyrou
Question:

Is the shopping good in Paris/Marseille for someone looking to spend 500-800 usd? If so what places should I look for?

Yes, there is some good stuff to be found.

I like the Vercourt atelier along the rue de Seine, although the sales staff English is minimal at best.

Kill_switch

Reaction score
alright so i got prom coming up next month and i have some dress shoes in mind, mainly a couple pairs of c&j. i've never bought a dress shoe before so all i know are my sizes in some more casual shoe brands and between all i them i generally fall between a 10.5 and an 11 depending on how i want the shoe to fit. i assume someone on this side of the board knows how c&j fit and could help me out.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill_switch
alright so i got prom coming up next month and i have some dress shoes in mind, mainly a couple pairs of c&j. i've never bought a dress shoe before so all i know are my sizes in some more casual shoe brands and between all i them i generally fall between a 10.5 and an 11 depending on how i want the shoe to fit. i assume someone on this side of the board knows how c&j fit and could help me out.

It's hit or miss, could vary by 1/2 size depending on the last. If you have a local store that carries them I would recommend trying them on. If this isn't possible then go with the 11, better to be slightly big that slightly too small.

Is this a high school senior prom? If so, must be nice to have C&J's when you're 18.

cheyrou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Yes, there is some good stuff to be found.

I like the Vercourt atelier along the rue de Seine, although the sales staff English is minimal at best.

My french is classroom superb so I should manage easily, and I think the language of style is universal
smile.gif
. What type of clothes can I expect to find there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads